So....I want recordings to have greater clarity in chords, and a tighter bottom end.

Ideally, I would get a better DSP, but since this is not an ideal world, that is out of the question. Also called not having enough cash, and no chance of much coming in for a while.

However, I might just be able to save up enough for a new bridge pickup.

I play prog, a bit of metalcore, and I tune to drop A#.

Not looking for especially high gain, I find even 3/10 on the 5150 model more than enough. Clarity and balance is what I'm after.

If I had to pick a sound, I would say Petrucci's tone from "Bridges in The Sky". Or In Flames' sound from "Clayman".

What do you guys say? Been out of the hardware circuit for quite a while now, so not much idea of what's on sale
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 5, 2013,
What are you using at the moment? It might be worth just learning to EQ better if you're using computer programs. Taking all the low end out about 100Hz down (use a high pass filter) will tighten up the bass sound.

Not sure what you're using though so that could be really irrelevant.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Hi-pass filter, -12db per octave, set to about 150hz. In addition, set a parametric EQ to about -6db with a narrow-but-not-too-narrow Q and sweep it between 250 and 500hz. That's usually the rough area you're gonna get muddiness.

Dat's just me tho
Quote by GS LEAD 5
If I had to pick a sound, I would say Petrucci's tone from "Bridges in The Sky". Or In Flames' sound from "Clayman".

Both of those just sound like a tight amp sound and good double tracking. Is there something in your setup that’s keeping you from hitting that sound.
Quote by Lavatain
What are you using at the moment? It might be worth just learning to EQ better if you're using computer programs. Taking all the low end out about 100Hz down (use a high pass filter) will tighten up the bass sound.

Not sure what you're using though so that could be really irrelevant.

I'm using an RP500. Pretty basic, yeah, but the Pod HD wasnt out when I got it. So....

I already do that, thing is, regardless of whether I do it or not, the attack on the string overshadows the fundamental totally. Rather than a smooth dhung, I get a sharp chungg, if that makes any sense. I can easily get djent/core/OTT 90's melodeath sounds easily, but that neither too aggressive nor too undistorted proggy metal sound is eluding me.

Quote by pinheadslts75
Hi-pass filter, -12db per octave, set to about 150hz. In addition, set a parametric EQ to about -6db with a narrow-but-not-too-narrow Q and sweep it between 250 and 500hz. That's usually the rough area you're gonna get muddiness.

Dat's just me tho

Almost all my patches/post process chains have a hi pass at 100-150 depending on song, a cut at about 300, and a low pass at 8000. The main issue is clarity, notes in chords tend to sort of meld together. Using low gain amp models like the Legacy model or the Master Volume model helps, but any sort of high gain aggressive sounding setup causes the same melding.

Quote by jpnyc
Both of those just sound like a tight amp sound and good double tracking. Is there something in your setup that’s keeping you from hitting that sound.

His sound on that particular song has this thick but clear midrange while still sounding aggressive. I cant get there
Again, ideally, I would save up and get a POD/11R but cash for that isn't forthcoming for quite a while. So only option right now is a pickup. Note- a pickup, I doubt I can even afford two right now blame college for that.

EDIT: My live tone doesn't have this issue, whether going through my amp (a Peavey KB4) or through a PA, both with pedal's built in cab models, chords are perfectly clear
without fizz or mud. Recording it buggers up, both with its own models and with guitarhax impulses.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 6, 2013,
Hmm.

Back off on the gain on the amp, put a tubescreamer model early in the chain, eq to emphasize 2200 and 6500 hz (the latter is a petrucci trick).
Can't ever go wrong with an EMG 81.

Super cheap too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dimarzio Liquifire would be a good choice. The pickups in the cheap LTD's are not that good. If you have the extra cash, I'd grab some new pots while your at it.

But you may find that this doesn't give you the results you want with the Digitech
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What are you recording with, is it possible to record clean and add the dirt afterwards? or maybe add some compression after the recording?
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.