I've been in somewhat of a music rut for the past few months and I was just curious how you guys in The Pit go about finding new music? Do you scour Youtube until you come across something you like? Do you rely heavily on your friends? Or does it seem to just fall into your lap generally?

At the moment I'm enjoying using the radio feature on Spotify. That is, starting a radio station based on a particular song I like and seeing what it throws at me.

I used to find new albums here, there and everywhere, but 2013 definitely hasn't been a massively memorable year for me music-wise.
Last FM
Pandora
UG
Sometimes Video Games

Also I look up my favorite bands on wiki and check out their associated acts
Sail upon the open skies
YouTube and friends.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Pandora
UG
Video Games/Movies
Searching YouTube/Google

I usually search around on here to see what everyone's listening to. I've also found great songs off of Pandora (The Birthday Massacre) and buying random CDs at the record store (The Paperboys). And as always, I'm always looking for new music to listen to.

Quote by guitarist41
I never look for music.

Anything I listen to I've simply stumbled across.

I would same I'm the same way. I just come across new music most of the time.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Nov 5, 2013,
I never look for music.

Anything I listen to I've simply stumbled across.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Youtube
Concerts (e.g. I go to see one band, but there's also 3 other ones playing, too)
Friends
iTunes. Start off with a band I enjoy & then it leads me to finding similar music. I can switch between genre's too; mostly sticking with Rock, Metal & or Jazz.
"It's better to be kind. Being clever or good looking is subjective. Kindness is essential" - Ricky Gervais
Depends really. It's hard to find actual new good artists. Most recently discovered Daughter, switched on Glastonbury this year and they were playing.

Before that I'd found Ben Howard because he was having some mainstream success. Found that there were similar artists to him through Spotify etc. Spotify has helped me discover a lot of new artists.

I go to another forum where they post what people are currently listening to, its a small community so its easy to keep up with and a lot of obscure artists are mentioned there.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Friends
Forums
Pandora
Interviews
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
mumu
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Youtube suggestions when I'm listening to something on Youtube
Last FM
Also wikipedia can be useful if you look at lists of bands in genres you like
I have nothing important to say
I've been going to concerts a lot recently where I haven't heard of many of the bands, and maybe even the headliner!
For instance, I went to El Ten Eleven last month having never heard them (but I heard good things about them). Since I heard they're a guitar/drum duo that relies on looping (just like my band) I was excited to pay $12 to see them.
And holy shit was I blown away. I bought two CDs and I enjoy them, although they're definitely not the greatest CDs I've ever listened to.
Then, I found Zorch two weeks ago, and god damn was that crazy. They opened for a band called Tera Melos who I found at a random concert in April and good god they were so good that I bought a bunch of their music and saw them again two weeks ago!

Besides going to random concerts, though, I usually just go to CD stores and browse about. I've found my favorite albums doing that!
Spotify/last.fm related artists, and youtube related videos. I don't seek out new music these days though. I already listen to way too much shit to keep up to date on.
Friends.
Internet.
Opening Bands at concerts.
Small tents at festivals when there isn't a band I want to see.
Music played on TV shows.
YouTube
Rock band and guitar hero back in the day
Checking associated acts on wiki
Looking up a particular artist and seeing what they're involved with
UG
Asking people on facebook