So, I'm trying to get a good ear for modern metal/metal core.

I can play somewhat decent by ear for blues or something down tempo like that cause it's slow and easy to hear but for metal it's so fast and hidden by effects and distortion. The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to start writing my own material instead of playing Periphery covers all the time. But I cannot write anything metal to save my life. I can play a cover but I can't write it. I don't know why but I can't get anything good. It's weird because in my head I can come up with something really good just right on the spot. Like Ill hear a full band in my head with a song that nobody has heard lol but I can't for the life of me get it out of my head and onto the fretboard. I'll start to but, then when I get a wrong note I either start shifting what I hear in my head or I forget what I was hearing completely. It's the most annoying thing ever.

So basically I'm just wanting to know if there's anyone out there with the same problem?
Or if you've been there but got over it I'd like to know how. Or even if you have any tips, I'd like to know the know how.

Thanks for any input!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
If you hear something and can't play what you hear, get a recorder and sing the melodies/riffs and record them. You just need to train your ears to be able to play what you hear. Maybe start learning songs by ear instead of relying on tabs. Start with some more simple songs like AC/DC if you have never played by ear. They should be pretty easy to learn by ear.

Also, if you want to write some metal, analyze your favorite songs. What's happening in them? For example what kind of chords, melodies and rhythms do they use?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quick note, unless a band has strong hardcore influence (a la Zao, Deadguy, Shai Hulud, Converge, Botch, Norma Jean, etc.), please don't call them metalcore.

Anyway, have you tried tools that slow songs down? How's your transcribing skill?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
All of the breakdowns. 'Tis the only way to be core.

So, both the one where it goes:

D
A
F
C
G
C-0-0-0-0-0000-0-0-0-

and also the one where it goes:

D
A
F
C
G
C-0-0-0-0-0000-0-0-0----0----0-

Both of those?
Better yet, breakdown the breakdown. That's how people know you're really hardcore.
Quote by Nietsche
Better yet, breakdown the breakdown. That's how people know you're really hardcore.

I'm now going to use Sam's tabs of breakdowns as the archetype to create breakdown counterpoint.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'm now going to use Sam's tabs of breakdowns as the archetype to create breakdown counterpoint.

I now feel like I've contributed something to society today.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Metal Core Nuff Said.
TS are you covering full songs or just random riffs and solos?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The more you learn, the easier it is to understand the ideas behind great metal playing. Anything from BFMV to Death to Burzum can be helpful. Learn lots of covers, and it should come a little easier.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by Nietsche

Meta-core?
Metal utilizes them 5 chord also called the power chord. I consists of the tonic and the fifth no more notes except those two. Metalcore uses drop tuning and most of the times is based around the open chord as its key. Occasionaly add a few suspended chords or do a arpeggio of them. Do a very melodic but short riff as the chorus or pre-chorus. The intro will always be a riff that catches your attention or the listeners attention. The intro is usually the verse or chorus of the song. The breakdown the vast majority of the time is a single 5 chord(usually open) palm muted and played in a very rhythmic way. Occasionally you can add a few bends or pinch harmonics during the breakdown for added intensity. Play between a 5 or 15 second solo with a short lick that usually matches the vocal melodie of the chorus and afterwards just rip out some sweeps and scales. That is your usual mainstream metalcore song.
A--0--1
D--0--1

repeat, change rhythm etc. if you use more than two frets you aren't core enough.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I would say try to learn the most basic metalcore you can at first, (I'd say something like The Fall of Ideals by All That Remains/Shadows Are Security by As I Lay Dying) These are very good examples of the peak of what I BELIEVE to be the best metalcore, before every band started doing the same thing. Learn to write like that, then start to incorporate some of the more technical/odd meter metalcore (August Burns Red's "Messengers" album) is a good example of that. Djent/Technical Metalcore could be something like Circle of Contempts "Artifacts In Motion" or Northlanes "Singularity". These albums are good examples of that. Learn the building blocks of generic pedal riffs (As I Lay Dying), transgress to odd meter (August Burns Red), then eventually the more technical bands. If you don't know how to begin to write it, don't try Periphery at first, but that's just my opinion of how I'd do it.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
I would say try to learn the most basic metalcore you can at first, (I'd say something like The Fall of Ideals by All That Remains/Shadows Are Security by As I Lay Dying) These are very good examples of the peak of what I BELIEVE to be the best metalcore, before every band started doing the same thing. Learn to write like that, then start to incorporate some of the more technical/odd meter metalcore (August Burns Red's "Messengers" album) is a good example of that. Djent/Technical Metalcore could be something like Circle of Contempts "Artifacts In Motion" or Northlanes "Singularity". These albums are good examples of that. Learn the building blocks of generic pedal riffs (As I Lay Dying), transgress to odd meter (August Burns Red), then eventually the more technical bands. If you don't know how to begin to write it, don't try Periphery at first, but that's just my opinion of how I'd do it.
I'm confused as to why you're lumping in Deathcore and modern Metal in the same bucket...
get more influences. you can only learn so much from one band. also make sure you're not just listening to the music and looking up tabs - learn as much as you possibly can by ear. slow it down, do it the hard way. the fretboard comes a lot easier and you can translate what you have in your head to the fretboard.

also, i'd invest in some really basic recording equipment and/or notation software (guitarpro) to sit and write/play the song out. don't be afraid to toss a song if it sucks - it's the process that's important and you might get some interesting riffs or progressions you wouldn't have thought of otherwise that you could use to seed or bridge other songs.

here's a list of homework. you're sounding more like you want to do prog metal than metalcore, though, so it's mostly in that realm. you might have to break down a lot of the more complex riffs and leads and slow them down with audacity so i won't shove animals as leaders at you or anything. almost only 6 strings if i can recall correctly, too.

warning, lots of youtube

also, matt is right. and northlane's a great call.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Nov 5, 2013,
Quote by MattAnderson111
Which one of those bands would be considered deathcore?

Circle of Contempt and (some of) August Burns Red.
I would tend to disagree with that classification, but it's strictly opinion. I get what you mean with ABR, since they are christian I see the Messengers album as being the Book of Revelations kinda deal, forewarning evil and shit.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
If only every other argument involving opinions ended as nicely as that. Regardless, I try to at least glimpse into all sides of metal.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Regardless, I try to at least glimpse into all sides of metal.

I think this is a good idea. Even looking at other genres can sometimes be helpful.