Quick backstory:

I originally started music as a bass player 15 years ago. Played for 3 years and eventually sold it off and my interests took me elsewhere. Last year i decided to return to music (you cant even seriously quit it can you?). However, i opted to learn my way around electric guitar etc. Now, i certainly love guitar and its been fun learning new techniques and and all. But i think i want to add a good ol bass to my collection.

Heres my predicament:

My budget is ~1k

I used to play a Fender American Standard Jazz bass through an Ampeg (cant recall the model).

I am looking to buy a bass and an amp. Something that that will be used for both home practice and jam sessions with friends just for fun. I dont foresee gigging since my grad school duties keep me busier than id like.

In two years of guitar playing ive come to learn a ridiculous amount about guitar equipment but remain completely ignorant of any bass-related stuff since i last played over a decade ago. Id like your input on picking a bass that is suitable for Hard Rock/Prog Metal (think APC/Tool), as well as some mellower stuff like Smashing Pumpkins.

Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
With that money I would go for a used Fender RoadWord P Bass and some kind of Gallien Krueger MB series amp.

But it's still a really open ended question. What type of sound do you like? Examples? Neck shape? What have you liked and not liked about basses you've played in the past?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I probably should have added the fact that i am left handed, which limits my choices a bit. I happen to like slimmer necks. P-Bass necks are some of my favorites.

I used to own a Jazz bass but having tried it again after a decade im not so sure i like it as much. It feel too trebly (if that makes sense) to me now. I am looking for something that has greater low end thump than the Jazz-style basses.

There is a GC and Sam Ash in my city but their lefty bass selection is even more abysmal than their lefty guitar one; which is terrible as it stands. So i am trying to narrow some choices and then checking the videos and sound clips so that i can order it online.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
I have to agree with Jessesixstring - Ibanez, specifically Sound Gear models. With your budget the only Fender you will be able to afford (and still have money for an amp) is a used one - and there is nothing wrong with used, but you will spend more time searching for the right one. Ibanez is an excellent option - they are versatile (can produce different sounds and fit different styles/genres of music), well made, and the necks are thin and easy to play - you get a lot for the money.
Thanks for the advice guys, ill look into the Ibanez Basses.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC