im already adept with guitar, being relatively good with multiple styles and techniques. kind of a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. but i still have a problem with tremolo picking and fast downpicking

how do i develop my tremolo and/or downpicking speed? i still have a bad habit of tensing up. its one of the few techniques i know that still has very bad form after 7 years of playing
Get a metronome, set a slow beat, do up and down picking slowly. As soon as that become easy, increase the temp .... Down /Up /Down picking .... then do the Up/Down/ Up picking.
Here's an exercise that will get you left hand going and you can go from the low open E string until you get to the bottom of the high E string and you can use open strings while you shift positions too. I 'd start using legato ( hammer on / pulling off) first then use the down / up picking when you mastered the legato end of this ..... HAVE FUN !!!!
Quote by AJ6stringsting
Get a metronome, set a slow beat, do up and down picking slowly. As soon as that become easy, increase the temp .... Down /Up /Down picking .... then do the Up/Down/ Up picking.
Here's an exercise that will get you left hand going and you can go from the low open E string until you get to the bottom of the high E string and you can use open strings while you shift positions too. I 'd start using legato ( hammer on / pulling off) first then use the down / up picking when you mastered the legato end of this ..... HAVE FUN !!!!

im not really worried about my left hand. my left hand has progressed better than my right hand

which reminds me; im also very sloppy with transitioning between strings with tremolo picking. any advice for that?
Quote by pAWNlol
im not really worried about my left hand. my left hand has progressed better than my right hand

which reminds me; im also very sloppy with transitioning between strings with tremolo picking. any advice for that?

One thing I like to do is, hold a E chord and play 2 notes a string to a metronome and speed it up when you are comfortable.
You can also start adding 3 notes a string 4, 5, 6 etc...
Quote by The Dimery
One thing I like to do is, hold a E chord and play 2 notes a string to a metronome and speed it up when you are comfortable.
You can also start adding 3 notes a string 4, 5, 6 etc...

but if i held a chord, the notes would just continue to ring after i play them. i play metal, and i dont want the note to continue to ring

all bout that staccato broseph
Quote by pAWNlol
but if i held a chord, the notes would just continue to ring after i play them. i play metal, and i dont want the note to continue to ring

all bout that staccato broseph

Well then palm mute the notes. I certainly don't play crappy metal but these techniques work for my style.
Well play a lot of black metal songs, it will help. Or listen for any song where there's blastbeats, someone's bound to start tremolo picking, they can't help themselves. It's practice. I think practicing at varying speeds is good, not just from super slow to fast. I guess why is obvious when you try. Doing consistently perfect tremolo with frequent string changing isn't easy and often times bands play a gallop on the last set instead of 4 because they think nobody can hear it (but don't do that)
Quote by The Dimery
Well then palm mute the notes. I certainly don't play crappy metal but these techniques work for my style.

be careful of a sharp tongue. you may cut your own throat
the one thing I always like to consider is playing more complicared stuff. Because when I finally built up my downicking at the point that I could downpick on low E string 8th notes at 210bpm for minutes, and I thought I was awesome, I was WRONG, because I couldn't play MoP spider riff up to speed downpicked, so, more complicated stuff with more strings involved worked for me. Kreator has some nice tremolo picking (check the intro to Phantom antichrist, it has fast tremolo picking, string crossing involved).
Quote by The Dimery
Brilliant, learn that from a zacky venegance song or whatever shit it is?

i forget lol but ive never even heard of them. plus if you knew the kind of metal i played, youd say something different
Quote by pAWNlol
i forget lol but ive never even heard of them. plus if you knew the kind of metal i played, youd say something different

Im sure I would my dear.
Quote by kimi_page
Like this compsition

i appreciate it man. i, as well as a lot of other great musicians, have a lot more in the "tabs and chords" forums. if you cant find them, you can just look at the treads ive created from my profile
Quote by The Dimery

This is unhelpful and rude. You shouldn't bother trying to give advice on something you don't have the knowledge, nor the respect, of.

OT: I would suggest taking songs such as Reminiscence by Csejthe, Celestial Voyage by Cynic, and/or Krig by Gorgoroth and learning the alternate picking and tremolo picking sections of those songs with metronome. Remember to slow down the metronome and to accent the appropriate notes. Make sure to, also, keep an eye on your right hand and to work on moving in a more "sweep"-like pattern between strings when it calls for it; like in the beginning of Celestial Voyage to start by up-picking so that you can transition to the next string easier.

To note: any song with tremolo picking will work, I simply picked these songs since they are what helped me the most.
Quote by pAWNlol
Enjoy, "my dear"

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! METAL IS DA BRUTE!!!!!!
F*CK ROCKABILLY SURF AND FUNK GEETAR I WANNA SWEEP PICK EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TACKY VENGENCE IS BETTER THAN DICK DALE!!!!!!
Quote by The Dimery
YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! METAL IS DA BRUTE!!!!!!
F*CK ROCKABILLY SURF AND FUNK GEETAR I WANNA SWEEP PICK EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TACKY VENGENCE IS BETTER THAN DICK DALE!!!!!!

r*
Quote by The Dimery
I don't know what that means, but to you teenagers im sure it's "brutal"!

That would be "reported." Stop with the flaming/trolling, this isn't the Pit.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
That would be "reported." Stop with the flaming/trolling, this isn't the Pit.

no no, let him have his fun. if posting things that are supposed to make me mad makes him feel better about himself, let him go nuts lol im sure he needs all the self-esteem improvement he can get
Do open string alternate, down, and up picking in groups of 1-4 to a metronome starting at maybe 60 BPM spending maybe 10 minutes per string, if not longer, on each exercise. Do this everyday. This is guaranteed to alleviate any right hand ailments! You'll come to love it! Adopt this exercise, make it work specifically for you. Do whatever you can as long as you can, and keep it relaxed. Enjoy the finger banging!