Alright guys heres the sit,

I have no idea where to start when it comes to shaping --bass-- tones on pod farm, guitar rig, etc.

I have created countless numbers of patches for guitar (djenty, sturgis, baylis or larson style tones) all of which are fantastic.

same with supe. drummer, i have messed with DKFH and made a very periphery esque kit .

But one thing i have not messed around with and spent time working on tones are bass, and i want a bass to actually sit right in my mixes where as the presets dont in my opinion.

Is there a particular signal chain to work with? frequencies to boost/cut? where to set the compression preamp or post amp? HELP ME UG! lol

ps, one thing i feel i also do wrong is set the bass a wee bit high in the mix, how much lower to the guitars should it be?
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro-Tip, just like with synths the bass sound you hear on a record is NOT just one bass sound. Normally in rock and metal especially there is a split chain with one distorted bass and one clean.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
it really depends on the kind of tone you want out of the bass. i dont know much about EQing, but all i can tell you is that if you like a nice punchy slap-bass-esque tone, cut down the mids significantly, and put the highs relatively high
ps, one thing i feel i also do wrong is set the bass a wee bit high in the mix, how much lower to the guitars should it be?
Use your ears homie.

The biggest battle, for me anyway, is Bass and drums. When i say bass i mean like 0>120 cycles.
Getting that right will significantly help you out.
Hijacking because this looks like it's gonna be a useful thread.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Pro-Tip, just like with synths the bass sound you hear on a record is NOT just one bass sound. Normally in rock and metal especially there is a split chain with one distorted bass and one clean.

I do that with my bass tracks, always copied and pasted rather than re-recorded. But is it always just 1 clean and 1 dirty, or would there be multiple, different bass tones working together, like you might do with a guitar?
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
I do that with my bass tracks, always copied and pasted rather than re-recorded. But is it always just 1 clean and 1 dirty, or would there be multiple, different bass tones working together, like you might do with a guitar?

I suppose one could have multiple tones, but the question is "Why would you need it?". The bass is the foundation of most rock/metal/funk/etc. tracks, right? There's really only so much "sonic room" in the bass registers. Within those bass registers, we have to make room for the bass guitar (both clean and dirty tracks) and the kick drum. In other words, we have a very narrow area that has to fit three (or sometimes four, as some people will double the kick drum to give it more oomph) instruments.

So, unless there's a specific reason that you're carving out room for multiple bass tones, there's no need for it. Usually 1 clean and 1 dirty track does exactly what we need it to do and sits well in the mix.
Thanks Sam, that works for me. The rest of my questions are in line with OP, thread derailed and now back on track!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Some people do 1 clean, one dirty and one distorted as fuq.

It all depends. If you're really interested in Metal/Rock bass guitar shaping I'd pick up the "systematic guide to mixing" e-book. Written by an AndySneap forum member, goes into SUPER detail.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!