Page 1 of 2
So I'm making a shooter sandwich . I have all the ingredients, wondering what I should add?

Got 3 fat steaks (gonna be rare)
1 loaf of sourdough
gonna saute some onions
Steam some brocolli
Got 500g of cheese (havarti/mozza)
Garlic BBQ sauce

Anything I should add? Going to the store in a few minutes so get tinfoil (forgot to buy some, d'oh)

I will document it, if anyone is interested? Never made one before, could totally **** it up, could turn out great. Only time shall tell.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Semen

really expecting anything else coming here?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
alright I read the article and that actually looks delicious

pls document
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
mushrooms
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
looks neat but i'd rather just fry up the steak and eat it with the veggies instead of going through all that trouble and waiting half a day to eat it all

I have my doubts over the bread, but I'm not acquainted with that type of dough, could be tasty.

As stated definitely could use some peppers.

Don't know how that sause tastes, but you could try some finely chopped ginger, it works amazing through a mayonaisse/ketchup combination.

The bread has the word sour in it so I assume it is sour, if not the dish could use some, so you could easy squeeze some lemon over there, or put some capers or cornichons finely chopped through the sauce.

I personally would get rid of the broccoli. I love broccoli and use it very often, but on here I would use a bit of rocket underneath, and throw in some fresh basil on the mozzarella.

Saute the onions and garlic with fresh parsley with it and you get the most tasty sweet sauted onions you could ever dream off.

You could also cook the beef in a hot pan and whisk some butter in 1 minute before taking of the heat, and do the onion in the left over juices. Should be nice as well.

Don't know what onions you use, but try red onions, I like them best with steak or chalots. I use regular onions for pork or regular beef.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 6, 2013,
Screw any fancy shit and just Hot Sauce the **** out of it
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
**** the broccoli. also, the article gets one thing VERY wrong. If you're going to salt your steaks (I always prefer to salt, pepper, and olive oil the meat before cooking), FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST DON'T SALT IT BEFORE GETTING YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. Salt it no more than a minute or two before cooking. Otherwise the salt will draw out moisture and make the outside of the steak more damp and will result in the meat steaming itself more than caramelizing. It ruins the texture and flavor.

It's fine to do for meats you're not searing 'n' shit, like making a dry rub with salt for brisket or ribs. And it's good to do in advance for poultry. But not steak.
pesto and BBQ sauce? sounds like a weird mix..... pick one or the other. a pesto version would be delicious, as would a BBQ version. mixing them together would make it worse.
also, saute the absolute SHIT out of those onions. pick a nice sweet onion, like vidalia, and saute them on low heat with olive oil, salt, and pepper for like 1.5 hours. check on it like every 20 minutes. they'll turn super brown and mushy and they'll be ****ing amazing.

adding mushrooms is nice, but i don't like sauteing them with my onions because mushrooms release way too much moisture when cooking and that ****s with the caramelizing of the onion
Quote by progdude93
also, saute the absolute SHIT out of those onions. pick a nice sweet onion, like vidalia, and saute them on low heat with olive oil, salt, and pepper for like 1.5 hours. check on it like every 20 minutes. they'll turn super brown and mushy and they'll be ****ing amazing.

adding mushrooms is nice, but i don't like sauteing them with my onions because mushrooms release way too much moisture when cooking and that ****s with the caramelizing of the onion

I do mushrooms separate to onion unless I'm using chestnut mushrooms. White mushrooms are really nice when you fry them in soya sauce (add like half way through).
I've never heard of chestnut mushrooms, so I googled it, and wiki tells me they're the same thing as button mushrooms and white mushrooms

I like soy sauce (tangent: why the **** do brits call it soya and amerifags call it soy WE NEED UNITY!!!), but it's way too salty for me unless mixed with other stuff.

I prefer to saute my mushrooms in red wine
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I have my doubts over the bread, but I'm not acquainted with that type of dough, could be tasty.

As stated definitely could use some peppers.

Don't know how that sause tastes, but you could try some finely chopped ginger, it works amazing through a mayonaisse/ketchup combination.

The bread has the word sour in it so I assume it is sour, if not the dish could use some, so you could easy squeeze some lemon over there, or put some capers or cornichons finely chopped through the sauce.

I personally would get rid of the broccoli. I love broccoli and use it very often, but on here I would use a bit of rocket underneath, and throw in some fresh basil on the mozzarella.

Saute the onions and garlic with fresh parsley with it and you get the most tasty sweet sauted onions you could ever dream off.

You could also cook the beef in a hot pan and whisk some butter in 1 minute before taking of the heat, and do the onion in the left over juices. Should be nice as well.

Don't know what onions you use, but try red onions, I like them best with steak or chalots. I use regular onions for pork or regular beef.

Nah, bread isn't sour, just the name. Tastes pretty much like normal bread. Normally a sourdough loaf is crusty on the outside and soft as clouds inside, but the only ones I could find were soft outside and in. The insides are perfect, though. Not that it matters. The juices of everything will make the bread a bit soggy. You have to bake the wedges in the oven for a bit after you're done to crisp it up a bit.

Unfortunately when I went to get tinfoil the 24 hour grocery store was closed for renovations :/ It was 2am so nothing was open. Had to get tinfoil at a 7-11. I would've loved to add basil or parsley, that was a good idea. Thanks for the tips, though. I did saute the onions to a nice brown, but I used margarine not oil (I don't eat/cook onions often, so I'm kind of dumb with them).

Quote by progdude93
**** the broccoli. also, the article gets one thing VERY wrong. If you're going to salt your steaks (I always prefer to salt, pepper, and olive oil the meat before cooking), FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST DON'T SALT IT BEFORE GETTING YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. Salt it no more than a minute or two before cooking. Otherwise the salt will draw out moisture and make the outside of the steak more damp and will result in the meat steaming itself more than caramelizing. It ruins the texture and flavor.

It's fine to do for meats you're not searing 'n' shit, like making a dry rub with salt for brisket or ribs. And it's good to do in advance for poultry. But not steak.

No worries about the salt/pepper. I salted literally right before I put them in. I didn't follow the recipe on that page, it was just a link I posted to show you all what the hell I was talking about, I did something different here.

Quote by metacarpi
Screw any fancy shit and just Hot Sauce the **** out of it

There's always room for some franks red hot when it's done, dude! At the end you cut it into wedges, like pizza, so it won't be hard to dip!

Quote by progdude93
pesto and BBQ sauce? sounds like a weird mix..... pick one or the other. a pesto version would be delicious, as would a BBQ version. mixing them together would make it worse.

I didn't use pesto

Quote by progdude93

As I said before, I'm a noob with onions. Luckily I did saute the shit out of them, though! They were a nice crispy brown.

Stay tuned, guys. Just got to upload and resize the pics. The thing is getting smooshed as I type!
Quote by MetalGS3SE

people were suggesting adding pesto, so i was simply pointing out that it's a weird combo
Yea I thought the same, that's why I didn't do it Maybe if I was using like anything that's not steak, but steak would be literally the worst meat to pair that with. IMO.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

if you made it with mozzarella, steak, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and pesto, it would be delicious. i'm just saying pesto+bbq sauce would be weird. pesto+steak is great.

strong, savory earthy flavor+steak is a winner in my book

edit: and you could add tomato sauce. not the bullshit british tomato sauce which is actually ketchup, i mean ACTUAL tomato sauce.
So here's what I'm working with:

/spoiler]

Now for the cast iron skillet for dat steak!

These things are ****ing enormous. I bought 3, decided only on 2 (which was a good call, because I barely got 2 into it). Atleast I got a steak for later!

Yum, yum, yum. Only salt + pepper (right before putting them in!).

First steak I ****ed up. Too low heat for too long (about 75% on a gas stove for 2 min). The second I raised the heat to about 85-90% and took 30 seconds off the time. Came out better, still not the best, though.

So now all the cooking is done, and here is what I have to shove into the bowl.

Unfortunately I didn't get EVERYTHING in. Most, though. I only had about 80g of cheese left, started with about 500g. It's ok. I can eat that cheese with that extra steak! It's layered like this:
Steak
Havarti
BBQ
Steak
Onions
Mozza
Steak
BBQ
Brocolli
Mozza/Havarti mix
Steak
BBQ
Mozza/Havarti mix (lots on top)
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Looks like I'm ready to send a package.

Looks big enough to be a turkey

Here's the weight situation. 50 pounds in weights, and a giant box (~50 pounds) of NatGeo magazines. 2 boards.

Got two 2 1/2 pound weight between the boards with the sammich to keep it even, then another two on top of those for counter balance. So there is about ~90 pounds on the sandwich. It's 4am right now, will update again around 9am (I put the sandwich under there at 3am).

Here is Shamus. He was going apeshit the whole time I was setting this up.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

i loaf you right now (it's up to you to figure out whether that pun means "loathe" or "love")
<3

I'd send you all some if I could.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Oh my god that sandwich looks amazing.

Actually to be honest everything looks amazing right now I'm really hungry and I'm craving mad greasy food right now. But still, I want summadat.

As for what I cook, I can make a killer fried rice with eggs, rice, beef and oyster sauce. Possible some peanut sauce. And/or peanut butter. Trust me, I'm Asian.
Quote by progdude93

Read this article specifically point 5, http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
Quote by progdude93
I think you need to reread what I actually said..

And if you read what I posted it will tell you that you salt steak 45 minutes before or longer, a process called osmosis happens and the salted juice goes back into the steak. This results in a more tender steak.
I did read what you posted. However, if you had read what I posted, you'd see that I said that salting the meat immediately before getting your ingredients together like the article suggested was a poor idea, because that would bring the moisture out onto the steak, and the meat wouldn't brown and would steam itself.

Also, by the way, 45 minutes isn't long enough if you just salt the surface. If you stab the meat repeatedly with a fork it is. Or if you brine it. But just salt on the surface won't penetrate even close to a whole steak if it's remotely thick.
Quote by progdude93
I did read what you posted. However, if you had read what I posted, you'd see that I said that salting the meat immediately before getting your ingredients together like the article suggested was a poor idea, because that would bring the moisture out onto the steak, and the meat wouldn't brown and would steam itself.

Also, by the way, 45 minutes isn't long enough if you just salt the surface. If you stab the meat repeatedly with a fork it is. Or if you brine it. But just salt on the surface won't penetrate even close to a whole steak if it's remotely thick.

You said to salt no more than minute before cooking. 45 minutes is long enough for the process to finish, I would only do it in a pinch, I normally start mine a day before I cook them. Brining works well for Chicken and Pork because you have to cook them to well done, but for meat you can eat rare there's no need to pump in the extra moisture.
Yeah, cos that 45 minute number is bullshit. Brining isn't just about pumping in extra moisture, it's also about actually getting the salt in there. 45 minutes is NOT enough to get the salt all up in there for a remotely thick steak.

If you're doing a rub or something, you do it in advance. At least hourS in advance. 45 minutes doesn't do shit but withdraw the moisture from the outside. So if you wipe it off, you'll get a better crust. But that's about it.
Brining is about getting moisture into the meat, the salt makes it easier to do as it breaks down the cells walls.

When you salt the steak you aren't putting on a teaspoon of it, you put a fine layer of it on so it covers the entire thing.

Do you use Kosher Salt?

TS how is the sandwich going? I've always wanted to make one myself but have never bothered to. I made some Cornish Pasties and some Deep Pan Pizza yesterday, haven't got any pics but they were good.
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 6, 2013,
Ok guys, one hour until the moment of truth. Gotta get this hype train rollin.

EDIT to above: It looks like it's going perfectly right now. I added a crate of some of my vinyls to the weight to smoosh it some more (maybe 30 pounds more).
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Last edited by naedauuf at Nov 6, 2013,
It's looking good man, I'm inspired to make one myself in the future. Did you make the bread yourself?
Nah, I wish. I'm no good with bread of any kind. It always turns out really dry and gross.

All in all, it was about an hours work and if you have zero of the materials, it shouldn't cost your more than $50. I got each of those steaks for $5 a piece (they were on sale though). I can't endorse it now though, because it could turn out like total shit
Quote by MetalGS3SE

There's always dipping sauce, my friend!

I plan on dipping it in Franks Red Hot, Caesar dressing, Ranch, etc. I'll have a sampler platter type thing of dipping sauces.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Page 1 of 2