I'm getting ready to play with my brother and his friends, and i need to contend with the drums and bass. Im definitely looking for a tube amp, that i wont have issues distorting. I want one that sounds decent all over the board, from E Standard to drop G, without getting muddy. We play heavy metal almost exclusively, and my price range is ~$400 - $500.

That being said, I need the make/model, pedals (if needed), and any experiences with it. I know this kind of stuff gets posted a lot, but any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, Jet City JCA22/50.

Where are you located anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Obligatory Peavey 6505/6505+/5150 recommendation.

You should be able to find a 6505+ 112 used and in very good condition for $450-500. They're $600 new.

The 6505 212 combo would probably run you a little more used. An older 5150 212 combo might be found in your price range (they are the exact same thing as the 6505 2 X 12). Be aware that the 212 combos weigh almost 90 pounds though...

Anyway, those amps should make you happy...very happy. I have the 6505+ 112 and am very happy with it. Don't let the fact that it's a 1 X 12 running at 60 watts fool you. The thing is LOUD and packs a ton of punch for a 112 combo. I don't doubt that most drummers would struggle to be heard over this thing if I turned it up to 5.

As far as tone goes, they are pretty much the standard for metal. A lot of metalcore bands use them. However, I don't play metalcore and I am still extremely satisfied with my tone. I play more death and black metal and with a tubescreamer as a boost + EQ pedal in the loop I can get great tone for those genres.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
All the reviews and prices im finding on these amps are great, theres a used one with new JJS at the local Guitar Center, so ill go check it out there. Thank you.

Any more recommendations are more than welcome.
Quote by KailM
Obligatory Peavey 6505/6505+/5150 recommendation.

You should be able to find a 6505+ 112 used and in very good condition for $450-500. They're $600 new.

The 6505 212 combo would probably run you a little more used. An older 5150 212 combo might be found in your price range (they are the exact same thing as the 6505 2 X 12). Be aware that the 212 combos weigh almost 90 pounds though...

Anyway, those amps should make you happy...very happy. I have the 6505+ 112 and am very happy with it. Don't let the fact that it's a 1 X 12 running at 60 watts fool you. The thing is LOUD and packs a ton of punch for a 112 combo. I don't doubt that most drummers would struggle to be heard over this thing if I turned it up to 5.

As far as tone goes, they are pretty much the standard for metal. A lot of metalcore bands use them. However, I don't play metalcore and I am still extremely satisfied with my tone. I play more death and black metal and with a tubescreamer as a boost + EQ pedal in the loop I can get great tone for those genres.

Obviously I love my Peaveys, and I agree with this post. I've never had any problems getting modern metal tones out of my Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo. The only pedals I use with it are a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, a Boss RC-2 Loop Station, and an MXR Carbon Copy. A lot of people use overdrive pedals to clean up the gritty distortion for solos, but I haven't bought an overdrive pedal yet.

As the poster above noted, you should be able to find a used Peavey 6505+ combo for around $400-500 bucks.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
6505 is a good choice, although the clean channel isn't very good(some metal songs have some cleans in them). I'm thinking about buying a 6505 combo to convert to a head. Tired of traveling, I want to go home so I can buy more junk...
It's true - the clean channel on the 6505+ leaves something to be desired; however, it can be improved with an EQ pedal. The Peavey Classic series has an excellent clean channel and can be bought cheaper than the 6505 combo, but they don't do metal nearly as well. I don't always use the clean channel on my 6505+, but when I do, it does Opeth well enough.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by bschell95
What have you guys heard/ experienced with a Peavey VK100?

Its a good amp but outdated. It is capable of great metal tones but it needs help (few tricks and definetly an overdrive pedal) and preferably some modding too. I love mine when it works (power tubes need changing) but there are better options unless you get one for practically free. Still, 6505 absolutely murders the Valveking (except for the cleans), there is no question. That amp has been a "standard" (to a point its actually a clichee and overused) metal amp for a reason. Almost every metal band and their mums have used one at one point in their careers. No need for pedals except maybe some Tubescreamer clone and thats not because you'd need to push the amp for more gain because 6505 has ridiculous amount but because of its EQ and sound tightening properties.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 11, 2013,
Quote by bschell95
What have you guys heard/ experienced with a Peavey VK100?

Decent enough inexpensive amp, but not even in the same class as the 5150/6505 for what you've said you want to play.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin