I was looking at a blues scale tab in G, and noticed that the b7 was an F...I'm a bit confused because I understood F to be the M7 of...well basically any scale in G that has a M7...I thought since its a flattened seventh that it would be F down a half step making it an E....some clarity would be much obliged
A major 7th, or leading tone, is a half-step below the octave. So for G it would be F#.
A minor/dominant 7th (your b7) is a full step below the octave, hence in G it is F.

Look at the major scale and how other scales relate to it.
I didn't understood much of what you said but if your note is G then
the M7 is F# (not F)
the m7 is F
and b7 is Fb (enharmonic of E) as you said.

Fixed.
Last edited by SrThompson at Nov 6, 2013,
Quote by SrThompson
the M7 is F# (not F)
the m7 is F
and b7 is Fbb (enharmonic of E) as you said.

I'm not too sure about this. a m7 and a b7 are pretty much used to mean the same thing. The last thing would be a bb7, which in G is a Fb, which is enharmonic to E.
Fbb is enharmonic to Eb
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
In diatonic music, a m7 interval is the same thing as a b7 (you assume intervals to be major unless otherwise stated).
Quote by SrThompson
the M7 is F# (not F)
the m7 is F

minor 7th = b7. So b7=F.

Fb is enharmonic to E, and would be a diminished seventh here. A bb7.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by SrThompson
the M7 is F# (not F)
the m7 is F

No, a Fbb would be a dim7th. A b7 is always notated in blues/rock/metal/etc. as being 2 steps below the tonic.
A b7 means that the major 7th is flattened. We always work from the major scale: G A B C D E F# G. So to flatten the 7th here, we just make it a natural: F.
Quote by ryan.bollinger.
I was looking at a blues scale tab in G, and noticed that the b7 was an F...I'm a bit confused because I understood F to be the M7 of...well basically any scale in G that has a M7...I thought since its a flattened seventh that it would be F down a half step making it an E....some clarity would be much obliged

study the "blues scale" in G - it is a six tone scale...G Bb C Db D F (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7)

the "blue tones" are the b3 b5 b7..

a study of blues will help you understand some of mystery within blues structures..

the blues seems to be able to break most rules of theory..and quite a few of harmony..and many are glad it does..

wolf
Quote by wolflen
study the "blues scale" in G - it is a six tone scale...G Bb C Db D F (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7)

the "blue tones" are the b3 b5 b7..

a study of blues will help you understand some of mystery within blues structures..

the blues seems to be able to break most rules of theory..and quite a few of harmony..and many are glad it does..

wolf

May I ask how? I don't think it does. In fact I don't think it's possible to.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, a Fb would be a dim7th. A b7 is always notated in blues/rock/metal/etc. as being 2 steps below the tonic.

Fixed. Sickz had it alr.
Quote by wolflen

Theory (imo) is used to describe why something sounds the way it does. it's not a set of rules or limitations.
Quote by macashmack
May I ask how? I don't think it does. In fact I don't think it's possible to.

Yeah, what rules of harmony and theory does it break? Blues uses very simple harmony - I, IV and V chords. Is it against theory to use dissonant/non-diatonic notes? No. Dissonance is used in all music. Non-diatonic notes are really common in every genre.

Theory can explain blues songs pretty easily. I mean, what parts of blues can't it explain?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115