Hello everyone!

I actually should have made this NGD a few weeks ago but I wanted to wait until I had a good quality clip to add.

So the guitar is a PRS replica made by a luthier friend of mine. I got it for 800$ CAD

Mahogany body
maple top
mahogany set neck
ebony fret board
22 frets
two SD pickups (he doesn't remember which ones he put in 'em but they sound really nice)
Grover tuners

I'm used to strat style guitars so getting used to this one was a bit of a challenge. The neck is a lot beefier, more space between the strings, heavier etc. But I'm getting there. The sound clean is very warm. The bridge pickup is clearer but there's very little twang. I have to be careful if I set my amp for a bright sound with this one and then switch to my strat without changing the settings.

I figured the pickups would overdrive very quickly (I have a voc ac30c2) but they only start at around 6 o'clock on the normal channel.

Ironically this guitar made me dig out my old modded DS1 that lost use for after getting my mudhoneyII. If i dial down the tone on my guitar and pedal and kick up the distortion, I get this monster fuzz with a billion year sustain and really controllable feedback.

As far as regular distortion, it's still very versatile, the neck pickup is so smooth, it's actually hard to distinguish that the signal is overdriven, it just sounds fat and way huge. How hard I pick makes a big difference too. Maybe it's because of the amp but I can go from light overdrive to balls to the wall just by picking harder

As luck would have it, I bought it just before going to record an EP with my band

You can hear a clip of the guitar here:

https://differentdays.bandcamp.com/track/static

The clean parts (verses) are doubled between the strat and the prs clone both on the neck pickup but the distorted parts are just this new guitar. Half through a fender vibrochamp with the modded DS1 and the other half in the top boost channel of the VOX AC30C2 with the tubes screaming in agony
Last edited by flexiblemile at Nov 6, 2013,
HNGD!

The ebony on the fingerboard doesn't look like ebony at all.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
yeah maybe it's not ebony... I don't really remember. I just figured it wasn't maple cuz it was darker
oh so you went for it? sweet, it looks really nice

agreed it doesn't look like ebony, though. rosewood, i presume? or maybe something more exotic (pao ferro?)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, link to luthier? That looks amazing (HNGD) and would love to get a made-in-Canada-luthier-made guitar.

*not sure if that last part made sense...*
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
TS, link to luthier? That looks amazing (HNGD) and would love to get a made-in-Canada-luthier-made guitar.

*not sure if that last part made sense...*

hum... this would be where it gets complicated. My friend isn't really in "business mode". He's making guitars to pass time in his retirement... and he doesn't really do the whole... "internet" thing very well.

Do you live close to Montréal? It could be doable if you do but it would need to be a custom order, I don't think he has any more lying around

EDIT: He also made this bass (it's not me in the picture)

Last edited by flexiblemile at Nov 6, 2013,
TS, alas, no I don't. I'm in central Manitoba. Your guitar looks amazing though. Have fun playing it
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The ebony on the fingerboard doesn't look like ebony at all.

Most Ebony isn’t black, but until recently most of the ebony used in instruments was black. So much ebony has been cut down that there’s not much of the black stuff left. So now instrument makers are using the lighter wood that used to be left to rot: http://www.taylorguitars.com/about/sustainable-ebony

The lighter ebony isn’t any worse, just different. But unlike the dark stuff, with the light ebony you can just look and know that you aren’t being sold a scrap of awful wood that’s been dyed black!

Anyway, HNGD! $800 CAD is a great deal for a handmade carved-top.
Quote by flexiblemile
hum... this would be where it gets complicated. My friend isn't really in "business mode". He's making guitars to pass time in his retirement... and he doesn't really do the whole... "internet" thing very well.

Do you live close to Montréal? It could be doable if you do but it would need to be a custom order, I don't think he has any more lying around

EDIT: He also made this bass (it's not me in the picture)

I'm in Michigan within the U.S. and I have to say...your offer is tempting...
that bass looks pretty sweet, too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?