Hi all,

I own an Egnater Vengeance and an Engl Powerball v1 (the Engl being my preference) and I play them through a Carvin Legacy 4x12 w v30s. Ive heard nothing but good reviews about the legacy cab, and I enjoy it though ive never really been able to compare it to anything.

Recently, ive been interested in the Engl Pro 4x12 cab (has v30s also) to match my engl and possibly enhance my tone. The cab has a pretty hefty price tag though and im trying to justify the purchase- would there likely be a noticable difference between two cabs? Im sure they have differing voicings, and tone is subjective, but can anybody give their 2cents?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

No, probably not worth it. The Carvin cabs certainly aren't the best, but they're definitely good. Lots of people aren't fans of the Engl cabs either. The metal grille, for one, affects the high dispersion and can sound kinda weird. Though I guess the Legacy cab also has a metal grille. If you want it to match aesthetically, fair enough, but I wouldn't buy one unless you got a sick deal on it. Like, less than $500. If you're going to spend anymore, find a Mesa Recto (standard only, the OS is horrifically boomy), Orange PPC412 or Fryette Fat Bottom.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thank you for you input. Thats helpful and insightful
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Realized I didn't comment on what the differences should be. The Engl cab is designed for more low end, so you'll get more thump out of the low strings. If you're Legacy cab is a slant, it will project better, but under a mic you wouldn't notice much if any difference, provided they're both loaded with the same speakers. Really above a certain level of quality, you're paying for diminishing returns, superior customer service/support or build quality more than tone. There are the occasional cabs that are tuned in a very specific way and will sound different (Mills, Forte, Port City, etc.), but for the most part, it doesn't matter. Most guys I know record/gig with a Marshall 1960A or Recto Standard cab loaded with V30s. They're built like tanks and super easy to find a reliable tone that will cut through a mix with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Realized I didn't comment on what the differences should be. The Engl cab is designed for more low end, so you'll get more thump out of the low strings. If you're Legacy cab is a slant, it will project better, but under a mic you wouldn't notice much if any difference, provided they're both loaded with the same speakers. Really above a certain level of quality, you're paying for diminishing returns, superior customer service/support or build quality more than tone. There are the occasional cabs that are tuned in a very specific way and will sound different (Mills, Forte, Port City, etc.), but for the most part, it doesn't matter. Most guys I know record/gig with a Marshall 1960A or Recto Standard cab loaded with V30s. They're built like tanks and super easy to find a reliable tone that will cut through a mix with.

Very good info, man. Thanks a lot for answering me so detailed.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

don't mea to hijack this thread, but would it be worth building one? I have a hard time seeing how a mesa cab that's 1000$ can sounds better than a peavey cab that's 300$ if they are made out of the same wood, but idk
They're not made out of the same wood. Mesa uses the highest quality void less 13-ply birch, while I've got no idea what Peavey uses in the 6505 cab, much less the $300 one. The $300 Peavey also comes with horrible speakers that aren't really worth anything, while a quad of Mesa's V30s, which are custom made in England rather than China, is $560 alone.

As for building one on a budget, no. A decent quad of speakers is probably almost $400 alone, not to mention cost of materials and labor involved. Meanwhile you can grab old Marshall 1960As for $300-400 all day on Craigslist.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT