Page 1 of 3
...keep you from listening to them or being a fan of them?

Like, Wintersun used to be my favorite band, and I remember why when I listen to the riffs from "Sons of Winter and Stars."

Yet, I don't wanna continue listening to them because since the release of the Time I album all my annoying metalhead friends as well as a million greasy 14 year olds have started to listen to Wintersun as well. That has deterioated them for me and pretty much changed my view on the band as another entry-level douchemetal band.

Probably a bad way to go about things but I can't help to feel this way.
No
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
it would cause me to be slow in checking it out if it was a band that was new to me, but your example with Wintersun is completely bonkers
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by behind_you
If everyone started being as furry as you, would you stop being a furry
It depends honestly.

If it becomes like Bronies where the popularity of it picks up enough to the point of it doubling the amount of idiots that are already contained within it, probably (which would be bad for something like the furry fandom), then yeah I might consider ditching it.
No, because I don't feel a deep and compelling need to be a knee-jerk reactionary either for or against 'the crowd'.

Individuality is overrated.

As is conformance.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It depends honestly.

If it becomes like Bronies where the popularity of it picks up enough to the point of it doubling the amount of idiots that are already contained within it, probably (which would be bad for something like the furry fandom), then yeah I might consider ditching it.
Why do you let other people influence what you like
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by captainsnazz
No because I'm not a complete fucking twatbrain.

Pretty much this.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
No I like music if it's good. I judge each album on it's own merits, I don't care if it's the one that got them popular or if it's not considered good by the critics. I can make my own decision about it.
Most of my favorite bands are classic bands everyone knows and loves, sometimes there's a reason bands are so popular and successful,
Quote by captainsnazz
No because I'm not a complete fucking twatbrain.

^^
Obvious troll is obvious
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by behind_you
Why do you let other people influence what you like
Isn't that just natural with humans?

Like, hypothetically say there's a new trend going around. Where everyone starts wearing bandanas on their neck for no apparent reason. At first only a few outsiders are doing it, therefore it seems cool to others. Soon it picks up popularity and it becomes a trend.

Then eventually it becomes unpopular, but how? As soon as those one dweeby, akward people who just can't pull it off try to go along with the crowd, as well as try to make a big deal out of it, it becomes uncool to the rest. Because we don't want to be like them. Therfore, those few negatives are influencing how the rest act or like.

Make sense?
No.

Also I saw Wintersun in London this summer and they were not worth it.

Met some awesome folk though.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Ummm.... no, because while I may be a bit of an elitist.... I am most certainly not a pissy hipster. In fact, I relentlessly promote the bands I listen to. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to see their favourite band become more popular. I can understand being temporarily burnt out on a band from overexposure, but not completely dropping them. The only way I stop listening to a band is if there is a shift for the worse in the quality of their output that persists for more than one album.
lol I bet this thread will get closed just because it's Ian.

OT, nah not really. If it's my first time listening to the artist I usually judge on either how it sounds or the lyrics, not anything surrounding the music.

If it's an artist I've already been listening to for a couple years or so I wouldn't stop listening to them just because they got some new fans. That's ******ed. It's all about the music pour moi.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Like, hypothetically say there's a new trend going around. Where everyone starts wearing bandanas on their neck for no apparent reason. At first only a few outsiders are doing it, therefore it seems cool to others. Soon it picks up popularity and it becomes a trend.

Then eventually it becomes unpopular, but how? As soon as those one dweeby, akward people who just can't pull it off try to go along with the crowd, as well as try to make a big deal out of it, it becomes uncool to the rest. Because we don't want to be like them. Therfore, those few negatives are influencing how the rest act or like.

Make sense?

You're assuming that everyone is that aware of it and stops because of that. And fashion is constantly in flux. A lot of bands I like have a ridiculous amount of annoying fans, like Metallica or Lady Gaga. I still listen to both but I don't spend time around those annoying people.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Deliriumbassist
People who stop liking something because it gets popular are the worst kind of sheep.

Not really. There's pleasure to be had in following artists in their formative stages and watching the rise that's different to listening to them at their peak. Some people just like to constantly have an ear out for forward-thinking music.

I personally think all these millions upon millions of people who spout off stuff like "I only judge music by the music. It's all about the music for me. If I like it I just like it and nothing will change that" are much worse, and lying, sheep
Quote by willT08
Not really. There's pleasure to be had in following artists in their formative stages and watching the rise that's different to listening to them at their peak. Some people just like to constantly have an ear out for forward-thinking music.

I personally think all these millions upon millions of people who spout off stuff like "I only judge music by the music. It's all about the music for me. If I like it I just like it and nothing will change that" are much worse, and lying, sheep

It is more fun to enjoy artists that aren't well known, following them as they get bigger. and it does kind of suck when you've listened to a band for a while then everyone is constantly talking about this "new" band they heard about.

I tend to just get pissy with the people.

I know I'm definitely biased towards some music because of the audience but I don't try to maintain that. I try to give stuff a chance on occasion.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Ian_the_fox
To be honest, I'm genuinely not this time.

...i think you would've been better off just playing along with it.

if you hate something just because everyone else begins to like it, do you actually like anything at all?
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Make sense?
So what you're saying is you're a hipster
ggg1 ggg3

no, but I do get a certain sense of enjoyment out of finding a little-known band or artist that i really like and watching them become really successful. when you appreciate someone's music enough, you develop some level of connection to them. like when i first heard marco sfogli's music, i was like, damn, this man deserves to be famous. and then when his fanbase started to expand, it made me happy he was succeeding.
Quote by BladeSlinger
A lot of bands I like have a ridiculous amount of annoying fans, like Metallica or Lady Gaga. I still listen to both but I don't spend time around those annoying people.

I would like to add Radiohead to this list. I really enjoy their music, but the fans..oh my god. So goddamn pretentious.
Quote by Jehuty
I would like to add Radiohead to this list. I really enjoy their music, but the fans..oh my god. So goddamn pretentious.

And Rush and Tools fans, when you talk to some of the more hardcore fans, it's almost as if no other music has ever existed.
My friend is a BMTH fan and he hates their fandom

Also A7X I love the music but the fans and youtube comments are annoying
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by Malchius
And Rush and Tools fans, when you talk to some of the more hardcore fans, it's almost as if no other music has ever existed.

Tbh if you see a community with mostly hardcore fans, they tend to be morons.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by progdude93
no, but I do get a certain sense of enjoyment out of finding a little-known band or artist that i really like and watching them become really successful. when you appreciate someone's music enough, you develop some level of connection to them. like when i first heard marco sfogli's music, i was like, damn, this man deserves to be famous. and then when his fanbase started to expand, it made me happy he was succeeding.

this is also true.
banned
Quote by willT08

#willpost
Page 1 of 3