I've heard many people - guitarists and sound producers alike - say that a bandanna or other material around the top nut is supposed to make the guitar sound superior. Is there any truth in this and if so how does it work?
If it's past the nut on the headstock the idea is that it stops any sounds from the string there vibrating making it's way to the pickups. It can happen but I don't honestly think it's common enough to matter that much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
LOL at the thread title
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That title would be a good name for a mental bloke with a house cleaning company.

I thought it was to mute open strings for a cleaner funk sound.
Quote by Malchius
That title would be a good name for a mental bloke with a house cleaning company.

I thought it was to mute open strings for a cleaner funk sound.

Depends where it is, if it's on the body side of the nut that's the case, yes. If it's on the headstock side of the nut then see my earlier post.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In my earlier days of guitar playing I had definitely heard that it was a good idea to do that when you're sweep picking. Later I realized that a bandana is not going to save your shitty sweep picking. I know Synyster Gates ( or however its spelled) did that for a while, but it was probably just to save his own shitty sweep picking at the time.

On the headstock side of the nut I guess it could do something for you possibly, but on the other side I'd say no. It would just take power away from your open notes and attempt to cover up sloppy playing which you should actually just address head on by getting better.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Tried it on the headstock side, aside from looking pretty neat I haven't heard any major difference... Haven't actually recorded anything yet though, might see if any differences show themselves then.