Hi, my Norwegian hard rock band "Löffelmannschaft" is finishing up our debut ep (all recorded and mixed by me in reaper). I'm struggling a little bit in the mix of one of the songs:
https://db.tt/seuWWTLU (no download required)
The problem is that i feel something is missing. It just doesn't feel as punchy and full as my favorite albums does (not that that is my final goal, but it would be nice to come somewhat close). What could be missing?
Firstly, top job with the recording! It's sounding pretty sweet.

Drums are a bit low in the mix, the kick and snare in particular need to cut through a bit more. I'd put the whole bus up though!

The next step in the process is mastering. This will bring the level up (sometimes through compression/limiting) to make it sound louder and "more punchy".

If you like, once you've finished the mix, you could send it to me and I'll do the mastering bit for you at my uni (generally you need a top room to master in, and we have just the place!). I'm really interested in the mastering process so could use some tracks to play with!
Any parallel compression on the drums or are room mics available? Bring them up if so, they need to drive the song more. Guitars are a little high in the chorus. Additionally, not something I say much, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little more low punch from both the kick and snare.
Quote by Syndicat3
Any parallel compression on the drums or are room mics available? Bring them up if so, they need to drive the song more. Guitars are a little high in the chorus. Additionally, not something I say much, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little more low punch from both the kick and snare.

What is parralell compression?
^parallel compression is where you send the drums to an aux with compression, so you end up having one compressed and one uncompressed signal going to the mains. Useful if you want a really overcompressed sound but want to preserve the attack (I think...)
Parallel Processing is what tim_mop said and heaps of other stuff.
You can maintain dynamics whilst adding character and power, RMS to drums. The same process can be applied to all signals. It's particularly useful in creating awesome vocal sounds.

Ps don't be tricked into adding something that doesn't need to be there :P
Tracks are recorded great but i agree with everyone here. More snare in the mix and a punchier kick, bring the hat down a little bit like a hair. I think the bass guitar needs to be up like 6db and the guitar like 3ishdb lower. Also, I dig your band!! **** YEAH \mm/
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here