Hi guys!
So here I am, selling today, my ESP Ltd Ex-401 (Indonesia, neck through, EMG 81/60) good condition, works and sounds amazing (for me at least).
Selling it to buy a brand new Epiphone explorer '84 (emg 81/85). I've never played one, so I'll be ordering it online.
Question:
Which guitar is actually better?! I don't really care of price and stuff. But if it was you, a regular metallica fanboy! And you had to choose between these 2 (u can pick only1), which one would it be? Why?
Should I keep the ltd? or go for the epi? Am I doing the righ choice?
Please, no aswers, like "ltd sux! polywood! or EMG suck, get the dunkens, or get the epiphone, 10x better!" or the other way arround. Please, no hating, as I respect both brands and instruments. I'd like to hear at least a short explenation.
Thanx everyone! I apreciate it!
Last edited by FlammenMeer at Nov 7, 2013,
Why on earth would you order a guitar without trying it first?

Epiphones are hit and miss. LTD are consistently solid.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Why on earth would you order a guitar without trying it first?

Epiphones are hit and miss. LTD are consistently solid.

+3.1415, i completely agree.

Why would you sell a guitar that's, in your own words, "in good condition" and that "works and sounds amazing", to blindly buy another guitar? Especially one that is a bad idea to buy blindly...

Sounds like a severe case of GAS to me.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 7, 2013,
The LTD is neck thru, the epiphone is set neck. Neck thru is generally regarded as more favourable.

The Epiphone has grover tuners and the LTD has ESP tuners . Grovers are probably better.

The epiphone is made in china? the LTD would be made in Indonesia or Korea. Chinese made guitars typically show the least consistency.

I have an LTD AX 400 Tribal made in indonesia. Set thru and it plays as good as any of the other guitars I own and it has the longest sustain out of all of them. Some of the guitars I own include a Japanese made Ibanez Prestige, and a korean made DBZ Bird of Prey. I wouldn't see the point in swapping a top end LTD for an Epiphone, but that's just my point of view.
Last edited by kingking22 at Nov 7, 2013,
Are you willing to go used? You could get a Gibson Explorer.
Quote by kingking22
The LTD is neck thru, the epiphone is set neck. Neck thru is generally regarded as more favourable.

The LTD is not neck through.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 7, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Are you willing to go used? You could get a Gibson Explorer.

The LTD is not neck through.

This is what's advertised on the ESP website...

Neck-Thru Construction
24.75" Scale
Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fretboard
42mm Standard
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
ESP Tuners
TOM Bridge
EMG-81 (B & N) p.u.

The OP also mentions his guitar is neck through in the original post.
Last edited by kingking22 at Nov 7, 2013,
That is an extremely lateral move. Those two guitars are identical other than the name on the headstock. Assuming you're lucky and the epiphone is built as well as your LTD it will sound exactly the same. Same pick-ups, same body wood, same neck wood, same scale...

If you can find one in a store to make sure it's what you want to do then okay. If you have to buy online don't sell the LTD first in case the Epi's a dud and you need to send it back.
Personally I'd prefer the Epiphone since I don't like the feel of LTD's necks and the LTD I have is falling to pieces, even though it's just 3 years old...
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I have both brands and both are awesome. Epiphone is not bad as this guys are saying, probably they're fans would not hear them if they ain't using a guitar of an important brand.

Which guitar is actually better?
Don't know to be honest, never had an explorer
which one would it be? Why?
For what you said, besides the brand, it's almost the same guitar, besides the fact the the epi is from 84, but as "i didn't had the chance to tried" I would stay with the LTD.
Even if they have the same cuts, necks, and stuff...maybe you don't feel comfortable.
Quote by kingking22
This is what's advertised on the ESP website...

I stand corrected. LTD does have a habit of changing the specs of their guitars significantly over a short period of time.

But I still disagree that neck through is really that much of a bonus over a set neck with that particular guitar. I've played the Epiphone 84 Explorer myself and the neck heel doesn't really impede fret access at all. As for the rest of the guitar, i think it's great. The one I tried played really well and I quite like the neck profile. The only thing it needed was a good amp to go with it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 7, 2013,
Can't speak for the '84 specifically, but I have found the LTDs to be a little faster and a bit lighter than their epi counterparts. I like them a little better, hence the reason i tried to find a real LTD explorer instead of the pointy post 1999 ones. All the epi explorers i've played have been solid enough, though. If I remember right, James' first explorer was an 84 gibson, so there's that, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Guys! Thanks for your replys! Really helpfull!
I just sold my LTD.. a few hours ago.
Here is the story, I bought it this witner, used for 300$, invested maybe another 50$ for lutheir (or what ever u spell that, I'm a native russian speaker) for restringing, bridghe, trhus rod adjust, fret leveling and smoothning. It did play really well!
See, the point is, I sold it for 550$!
The single problem was, I didn't really like the looks.. as stupid as this... It was shark looking, sharp explorer. The cassic gibson ex shape is much more good looking to me.
But now I have a decent buget, around 600$ for an axe. And I am looking for explorer, emgs and something metallicalike...
Any advice guys?
Is buyng an epiphone ex, brand new, for around 700$ with shipping cost, worth it? I just don't know..

PS!
And it iwas an older model of the 401! with 81/60 emgs! The nowday 401 is beastlear!
The older model of 401 (one I had) now goes as the 360th, same exact features! So it wasn't quite a top end LTD. Althoough it was really confortable and easy to jam on!
I don't think the epi will be much worse or something..
Last edited by FlammenMeer at Nov 8, 2013,
The 84 explorer is coming in about $600 US brand new. With shipping, that may be about right. Go for it!
The pointy EX shape was the same reason I sold my EX-250. I wanted a standard explorer shape.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals