Anything wrong with asking for guitar and keyboard lessons together?

I'd especially like to hear opinions from music teachers on this, but of course I'm happy to get any sort of useful response.

I've been playing guitar for years now, and still haven't really gotten that great, and I'd really like to learn standard notation. I know next to nothing about keyboards, but I'd really like to learn. I feel like if I took lessons for both, I could learn a lot about music theory by being able to look at it from different angles.

So my question is, would music teachers who teach both guitar and keyboard think I'm a nuisance at all for wanting lessons in both, maybe on alternating days? Are there any dos and don'ts I should be aware of? Anything I should know to expect/not to expect? Thanks!
Quote by Jehannum
No, they won't think you're a nuisance. It's fine.

+1

Go for it man, especially if you're genuinely interested in them both!
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
So you want to learn:

-Standard notation
-Music theory
-Guitar
-Piano

That's a lot to tackle a once.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If you're paying them I really don't think anyone would ever

Dammit you're just bored aren't you, be honest. Who thinks this? come on dude.
Thanks guys.

So you want to learn:

-Standard notation
-Music theory
-Guitar
-Piano

That's a lot to tackle a once.

Yeah that's sort of what I was afraid of, but I've seen threads on here before talking about how learning them both actually makes them both easier, so I don't know. I would also hope that a good music teacher knows what to teach, when, to avoid too much at once. But then again, I don't want to expect too much from a teacher.

If you're paying them I really don't think anyone would ever

I kinda just picture them assuring me that they'll be glad to teach both, and then as soon as I leave they'll be like "Man this guy has no musical sense, but he think I can make him good at guitar AND keyboard. What an idiot!"

Dammit you're just bored aren't you, be honest. Who thinks this? come on dude.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here...

Anyway, I'm starting to get to that age where I feel like if I don't make it happen now, I never will, so I reckon I'll just go for it.
It may not be that difficult since you have to learn standard for piano anyway, and theory will make a lot more sense after you get the hang of those.

They're usually encouraging/hopeful of students and would not think what an idiot unless you're being a rude asshole or something (which is pretty unlikely if you're worried about things like this in the first place).
Notation and Theory are so closely related they're basically the same thing and Piano is by far the easiest instrument to learn theory on. Theory isn't really that difficult it's just there's a lot to do from scratch I guess.

I'd go for it. You're tackling three at once really and then guitar.
Depends on your skill level.

You can say you just want to focus on rhythm playing/strumming chords, and chord shapes(just to give an example).

And say you want to learn reading sheet music on keys.

I would advice against it if your a beginner though. Any discrepancies in the foundation, will root itself and branch out to other facets in your playing down the road.

I'd say if you got the foundation down on both, it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise start guitar first for 2/3 months and THEN start piano/keys.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 7, 2013,