Hi guys,

I'm new to this site so first of all forgive me if I post in wrong sections or ask idiotically stupid questions. I'm not entirely new to guitars, I've been playing for a year now. But just on myself. So I ain't exactly a star, but i LOVE to play, learn and figure things out.

So I have a problem and I hope you guys could help me out.

Currently I own two guitars. An epiphone les paul plus trop pro and my first guitar a total ripp off of a tele. (I dont even know its specs). I like my higher end epi nothing wrong with it, and I do like my tele but it's low quality and even I can hear it's fretting out.

But I need a new guitar since I'll be living in two places next year. The neighbourhood in my second place will be more criminal since it's a dormer/study room in a big city. so first of all don't advice me to buy an american fender. And second of all, I'm not worth that quality anyway.

So that being said:

I was looking for a Fender mex 50's strat.
Turns out there aren't any 50's lefties on the european market.

So my alternative is the Fender MIM Standard strat or the Squier 50's Classic Vibe

I have to say, lot's of people compare Squier to their first crappy guitar and their crappy playing. But I did some digging and it seems that the vibe serie is actually worth trying and lot's of people (who actually had the balls to try it) Thought it was pretty OKAY!.

So what we are comparing here is basically a high end squier versus a low end fender. And I really don't have any idea if the fender is worth that 200 euro's more.
After all the Squier 50's is what i wanted since I was looking for a 50's fender strat.

But I'm worried about this Chinese thing although people say it's fine, other just smash it into the ground. I don't want a guitar with no sustain or weird sounds on some frets.

But what if I take the Squier, and put some realy nice American classic pickups in it?
But then it costs as much as a Fender MEX.... But maybe it's better then because of the pick ups?? so what's smart here?
I'm a bit confused and lost.

Can somebody advise me what he would do in MYYY situation.
Last edited by Thundersheep at Nov 7, 2013,
But I need a new guitar since I'll be living in two places next year. The neighbourhood in my second place will be more criminal since it's a dormer/study room in a big city. so first of all don't advice me to buy an american fender.

First of all, regardless of what you do or don't buy, get renter's insurance,

And second of all, I'm not worth that quality anyway.

Second, nonsense.

I was looking for a Fender mex 50's strat.
Turns out there aren't any 50's lefties on the european market.

So my alternative is the Fender MIM Standard strat or the Squier 50's Classic Vibe

You might also consider looking for a Godin Session or a Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare. I kknow the Godin is available as a lefty, the DZPL may or may not be.

Another Strat-style guitar to consider would be one of the Fret-Kings or G&L Tributes. Again, quality makers, but not sure as to lefty availability.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
First, yes you are right there.
Second, no not nonsense it's the truth. I'm not paying 1200 euros or more on a guitar yet. It's not worth it yet
Third, thanks for the alternatives, but I just did a quick search and I already noticed it will be pain to get them.

So back to my original question, what would you do if you have to choose between :

Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vibe Classic
Squier Vibe Classic and change the pick ups
Second, no not nonsense it's the truth.

There's no real meaning to "I'm not worth it"...just "its not worth it to me.". (Possibly with "at this time" added on.)

When I decided to go electric, I bought 2 guitars at the same time: a Dean Special Select EVO and a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac. At the time, I was pretty crap as a player.

A "good enough" guitar is just that- good enough. A good guitar is a lifetime partner.

As to the choices, I'd go the MiM Fender.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There's no real meaning to "I'm not worth it"...just "its not worth it to me.". (Possibly with "at this time" added on.)

That's why i added the word "yet". But since we are actually on the same line here there is no need to discuss that anymore.

Thank you for your opinion about the MIM, I'll keep that in mind.