Can anyone recommend any good books or dvd to learn music theory from?
I know there's plenty of online resources, and quite a bit in the theory FAQ thread, but I find I learn best from a book or dvd so I can't wonder off onto something else.
Getting lessons would probably be my best bet but I don't have the extra cash at the moment.
Fretboard Mastery by Hal Leonard. It comes with a CD so you can play along with it too. Great book.
They say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you it's schizophrenia.
I'd recommend the book titled Music Theory For Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know, But Were Afraid To Ask. It's written by Tom Kolb and it's available on Hal Leonard books. Excellent book and I'd recommend it.
Quote by Aether89
Can anyone recommend any good books or dvd to learn music theory from?
I know there's plenty of online resources, and quite a bit in the theory FAQ thread, but I find I learn best from a book or dvd so I can't wonder off onto something else.
Getting lessons would probably be my best bet but I don't have the extra cash at the moment.

I'm going to recommend two books, neither of which are specific to guitar. But before I do, you need to understand something:

Music theory knowledge, divorced from the ability to hear concepts in practice, is not useful. The best and most important use of theory is to help you learn common musical concepts, but you don't know a concept until you can hear it in practice. Furthermore, theory is easy to learn, but your ear requires time and dilligence to train. So start working on your ear RIGHT NOW. (Transcribe, the functional ear trainer, maybe "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musciain" by Wyatt et al).

As far as theory, "Harmony and Theory" by Shroeder and Wyatt is a good basic textbook that will walk you through all of the essentials, but it's pretty dry.

Therefore, I also recommend "Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles" by Pedler, which is essentially a practical theory book. It can be hard work - you want to make sure you can hear what he's talking about before you keep reading, so it's the sort of thing you read with itunes open and your guitar in your hand. But it is an amazing book and you will learn a tremendous amount if you use it that way.
As far as DVDs on Theory, I think if you are a self taught person needing a decent start, and DVDs are your weapon of choice, check out Danny Gill and the Lick Library series for their Music Theory titles. I did a review of one of their DVDs a long time ago, and for what it was, it wasn't too bad.

Best,

Sean
Quote by HotspurJr
I'm going to recommend two books, neither of which are specific to guitar. But before I do, you need to understand something:

Music theory knowledge, divorced from the ability to hear concepts in practice, is not useful. The best and most important use of theory is to help you learn common musical concepts, but you don't know a concept until you can hear it in practice. Furthermore, theory is easy to learn, but your ear requires time and dilligence to train. So start working on your ear RIGHT NOW. (Transcribe, the functional ear trainer, maybe "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musciain" by Wyatt et al).

As far as theory, "Harmony and Theory" by Shroeder and Wyatt is a good basic textbook that will walk you through all of the essentials, but it's pretty dry.

Therefore, I also recommend "Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles" by Pedler, which is essentially a practical theory book. It can be hard work - you want to make sure you can hear what he's talking about before you keep reading, so it's the sort of thing you read with itunes open and your guitar in your hand. But it is an amazing book and you will learn a tremendous amount if you use it that way.

This is more what I was looking for and I realized that after thinking about it yesterday. I learn music concepts a lot easier, faster and have a better understanding of them when I, as you said, hear them in practice and can relate them to either a song or have someone sit there and explain it to me by saying something like "this does this for this reason, etc. etc." I would love to be able to take lessons for that reason but I figured they're might be some good dvds out there for that reason.