i cam home from work today plugged into my peavey valveking and i started to play but barely any sound came out. i turned it off removed all pedals from effects loop and the front of the amp and tried multiple cables to try and get it to work. after this i turned the volume up to about five and looked at the tubes while playing, the tubes have a bright blue/purple (idk im colorblind) screen throughout my tubes. and whenever i played a note they got a hell of a lot brighter.

did i blow tubes or...what?
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Not yet, but they're likely about to be on their way out.

I'd replace them ASAP so you don't have to replace a fuse as well when they do blow.

JJ 6L6s are excellent value.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i mean i would kind of have to i just turned the amp all the way up and i can barely hear it...so all i need is a tube change?
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

We can't guarantee anything 100% over the internet without actually looking at your amp.

...But I think it's pretty safe to assume that yeah, one or more of your power tubes are about to kick the bucket.

Volume fluctuations and decreases are big indicator of power tube failure.

If you want, just try swapping the phase inverter 12AX7 first. It probably won't change anything, but it's a really cheap thing to check first. 12AX7s are $10-15 a piece - as a tube amp owner, you should ALWAYS have at least a few of them lying around.

Power tubes are a lot more expensive, but when you can afford it, it's also very very wise to have at least a quad of 6L6s and/or EL34s (whichever you use in your amp(s)) lying around as well, in cases like this so you can swap stuff around and diagnose your amp yourself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 7, 2013,
I also own a VK112, but it's not here at the moment. Can't recall if it has the jack on the rear panel for the speaker, but make sure it's plugged in all the way.

Which tubes are glowing as you play? If it's the power tubes and they're glowing brighter as you play, that means they're probably amplifying a signal, but it's just not getting to the speaker. Make sure that speaker is plugged in all the way and that it's not blown. Most tubes will exhibit a blue glow, which is not to be considered abnormal. If the tube has flashed over and arced, it may well have a brighter glow, which indicates it's shot.
yeah i definitely checked all the connections cable wise _(for about 20 mins swapping calbles in and out). i talked to a tech and he said its either a solder joint or a tube.

im crossing my ****ing fingers its a solder joint or tubes.
Quote by BrokenDstring

Before you do anything drastic try simply pulling the tubes out and plugging them back in. Spray a bit of contact cleaner (NOT WD40) on the pins if you have some.

Blue is fine, red is the only colour you have to worry about. Blue is just impurities on the plate fluorescing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification