So which is one "better"? Epiphone Les Paul Standard or an Ibanez (probably GR320SP)? Not sure which one to buy.
Most of the time I play Metalcore, Thrash, and Punk but every now and then I get in the mood to play things like Rush and Guns n Roses.. That warm and "creamy" sort of tone.

Open to suggestions as well. Not limited to those two brands. But no V shapes. I hate V shaped guitars..
What do you mean by better?

Whichever one you like better. It's subjective, especially at that price range. Both would work for what you want so go and play them.

I think you mean the RG320P.
My bad I mean the RGR320SP. Forgot the R at the beginning. And no, not the RG320P. But open to suggestions as long as it's in the same price range.
They are vastly different feeling guitars. Both will do what you want, but it really only matters which one you like the feel of.
^Edit: Dammit you beat me

Neither's inherently better, and honestly those two are so dramatically different that I'd be more worried about feel than sound.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
@ambler3 I'm more of a fan of thin necks. Honestly, if I'll get the same sound from both, I'd go with the Ibanez feel, just to clear that up.

Now is the RGR320SP good? If you have a better model in mind that's within the same price range then, again, I'm open to suggestions.
I guess that you just can't fathom the possibility that playing them might yield the best results.

Oh well. Good luck, you'll need it.
Look around for a used Prestige. You can get one for the same price as a new RGR320SP.
Quote by Mephaphil
I guess that you just can't fathom the possibility that playing them might yield the best results.

Oh well. Good luck, you'll need it.

I can't play them because where I live, there are no close by guitar stores where I can go and try out a guitar. I have to order it online.
Then get the Ibanez. You seem to like thin necks, want humbuckers. It seems like a no brainer.
There is very little differences in my opinion, I guess if you need to decide.
Pick the one whichever looks the coolest to you.
Quote by TheGreatTarp
There is very little differences in my opinion, I guess if you need to decide.
Pick the one whichever looks the coolest to you.

What? They're very different guitars....

Both are good guitars that will play the genres you are interested in. Go for the one you think will feel best if you cannot try them out. Might want to think about body shape, neck feel, weight (LP is quite a heavy guitar), hardware and general aesthetics.

You also say that you don't care for the whammy bar. I hope you know that the tremolo on that Ibanez will greatly inhibit your ability to change to alternate tunings on your guitar. Unless you have another guitar that you can play with and change tunings when you need to I recommend getting a guitar that does not have a floating bridge. Look at the Ibanez S series, very comfortable and versatile guitars.

Again, rethink the floating bridge on your Ibanez.
Okay so floating bridge out because of the tuning issues.
So what about the S421? From what I see, this looks pretty good..
Quote by ambler3
Well a big question would be do you prefer thick necks or like thin ones that Ibanezes generally have

Only an Ibanez player would call an Epi neck thick
Moving on.....
The Epiphone 60's slimtaper is not thick neck at all, it is an average thickness. The 16 year old kids on this forum are too used to Ibanez wizard necks to know what a typical guitar neck feels like.
Quote by Firefox1095
Okay so floating bridge out because of the tuning issues.
So what about the S421? From what I see, this looks pretty good..

It's up to you. If you don't know the difference between an Epiphone LP Standard and an Ibanez S421 then you've certainly never played many guitars before. Those guitars are different in almost every way to one another in terms of their overall design.

Just go down to the guitar store and play them. Ibanez S Series and Epiphone LP Standards are common in guitar shops.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 8, 2013,
I think that it's just good to note that none of the guitars you have listed are bad instruments. If you go for Ibanez though, do not buy the GIO series. Never played one, but supposedly they are no good.

Go to a store and play a les paul and a strat style guitar (like an Ibanez). They are just too different for us to say one is better than the other. Pick the comfier one.
I play exclusively ibanez prestige models and various Gibsons. They are polar opposite. I am used to going back most others likely dont.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by KenG
Only an Ibanez player would call an Epi neck thick

well actually my Ibanez actually has more of an Epi neck tbh, I think so at least (it's a LP shaped guitar)
And my other guitar is a schecter so
In the end, I meant thicker more than anything else
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It's up to you. If you don't know the difference between an Epiphone LP Standard and an Ibanez S421 then you've certainly never played many guitars before. Those guitars are different in almost every way to one another in terms of their overall design.

Just go down to the guitar store and play them. Ibanez S Series and Epiphone LP Standards are common in guitar shops.

I'm assuming you haven't gone through the thread. I said where I live, there aren't any guitar stores around where I can go and try out a guitar. I have to buy the guitar online. I know they each have a different feeling and that they're different. That's kind of the point of this thread. I'm asking which one would fit me better. Fit the things I play better.
I already own a strat-shaped guitar. It's a squier stratocaster that I've had for the past 3 years, in case you're wondering. Yes, I know it's a crappy guitar but it's a pretty good beginner guitar, as far as I was concerned when I bought it. It's my first and I learned on it but now it's no use to me anymore. I figured it's time to put it to rest and get a proper guitar which is why I made this thread.
I'm pretty comfortable with strat-shaped guitars and I've also used an LP shaped guitar at my cousin's place and they're both pretty comfortable shapes. I can easily play either one of them. The point isn't really the feel, I can handle that (I prefer the feel of strat-shaped guitars like I said before but I wouldn't mind using a different shape for a change). The point is the sound and the overall performance. I wanted to know which one would match the genres I like to play best. And I'm strictly speaking about the guitars, not amplifiers.

And I've already set my mind to Ibanez a few posts ago now I'm just wondering which model to get.
I'd take the Ibanez, like someone said, get a prestige if you can. I think they do eveything better than a LP copy. The HSH setup with split is also more versatile, tuning stability better, lighter and 2 more frets as well
i would take ibanez for a few reasons.
1 a - imo better body shape
1- better fret access
2- some form of tremolo, floyd style
3- pickups are probably of equal quality but voiced for "modern" music

im not a big les paul guy. i just got a carvin PRS style double cut, and the body style suits me better, so immediately i would be gravitated to a double cut
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Firefox1095
I'm assuming you haven't gone through the thread. I said where I live, there aren't any guitar stores around where I can go and try out a guitar. I have to buy the guitar online. I know they each have a different feeling and that they're different. That's kind of the point of this thread. I'm asking which one would fit me better. Fit the things I play better.

Then what you're asking of us is not very reasonable. How are we supposed to know if you can't know yourself? The only thing you can do is take a wild guess at what you think might be good for you and if you don't like it, return it.
Quote by Firefox1095
I already own a strat-shaped guitar. It's a squier stratocaster that I've had for the past 3 years, in case you're wondering. Yes, I know it's a crappy guitar but it's a pretty good beginner guitar, as far as I was concerned when I bought it. It's my first and I learned on it but now it's no use to me anymore. I figured it's time to put it to rest and get a proper guitar which is why I made this thread.
I'm pretty comfortable with strat-shaped guitars and I've also used an LP shaped guitar at my cousin's place and they're both pretty comfortable shapes. I can easily play either one of them. The point isn't really the feel, I can handle that (I prefer the feel of strat-shaped guitars like I said before but I wouldn't mind using a different shape for a change). The point is the sound and the overall performance. I wanted to know which one would match the genres I like to play best. And I'm strictly speaking about the guitars, not amplifiers.

And I've already set my mind to Ibanez a few posts ago now I'm just wondering which model to get.

Okay, this is new information that you haven't told us before. Since you didn't mention that you've actually played those kinds of guitars until now, there was nothing I could do. I can only go off what you tell me, you see.

As a general rule of thumb for beginners, avoid floyd rose trems. Get a fixed bridge. If you want an Ibanez with humbuckers on a budget, get an Ibanez RG321 or an RGA42. Take your pick.

If you're willing to go used, get an Ibanez prestige with a fixed bridge.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Hmmm more than one person said Prestige. Guess I'll just save up a bit more and find myself a nice used one. Thanks