I've been rooting through the interwebz and posting questions on here and, for the most part, have had everything answered. Now that I know, what I know, I am now asking about this. 'Are there cream colored passive pickups that have the same, or close to, sound of EMG OS1's?'. I love the sound of them, and have a rather strong disdain and disliking of active pickups, and have fallen for the sound and control I get from the OS1's. Since EMG are only releasing them in black, I need alternatives... Not painting them... too much work for such a relevant and rather unsubstantial goal.
I'd really just like to find some passive's that have a good distortion sound, but can also perform cleaned up. I am looking for cream colored bobbins. Not half and half. Planning on custom building a guitar that's red with cream accents. Hardware like bridge and tailpiece along with screws and switch will be chrome. Looking for some locking tuners that have cream heads. But I am only looking for cream colored pickups, passive, I do NOT like actives. If anyone can give me some suggestions, preferably with some sound demo's but not necessary, I would be very grateful. I'm still an infant in the guitar world and don't know my way around the market.
Bare knuckle crawler
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Why don't yu like actives? even though you are saying you like the EMG? surely that is a bit of a backward statement? As matey said above, BKP have high output pickups, probably be able to get them in the colours you want. I have a set of Warpigs in my main guitar, and I use a Dark Terror, gain around 11 o clock and a bad monkey to push it for more gain and I can roll back on the neck PU and get a nice clean tone with controlled picking.
Is that the sort of thing you are after?
Quote by The Locust
Why don't yu like actives? even though you are saying you like the EMG? surely that is a bit of a backward statement? As matey said above, BKP have high output pickups, probably be able to get them in the colours you want. I have a set of Warpigs in my main guitar, and I use a Dark Terror, gain around 11 o clock and a bad monkey to push it for more gain and I can roll back on the neck PU and get a nice clean tone with controlled picking.
Is that the sort of thing you are after?

I dislike actives simply due to the tone they give me. While I have an adequate setup, I have to tweak the sound so much more with an active, that and I don't want to spend the money to buy a 9v battery every time it goes out. EMG have a passive line, which is where the OS1 series comes from. They have great control, with a superb ability to run clean or crunch without having to go in an tweak your settings. I've tried out actives at GC, and they just didn't give me the sound I wanted. With the setting I have for my passive dual humbucker tele, it sounded far too low and muddy whereas the passives worked fine. I find they're much easier to mold than actives. For me, that is. Everyone has their preference. I would just rather not complicate things. But to each, his own. I say.