Hey Guitar Forum

I'm putting together a book for guitarists who write music about how the greats and legends tap into their genius. With your help, I can make this book extra awesome. I read and appreciate every response personally.

Here are the points to put your answers to:

1) As a guitar player who writes music, what keeps you awake at night?

2) As a guitar player who writes music, what are your top 3 frustrations?

3) As a guitar player who writes music, what are you afraid of?

4) If you could ask a guitarist a question, who would it be and what would you ask?

5) If you could peek inside a guitarist's brain, who would it be? What would you like to find out most?

6) Which guitarist absolutely blows you away and what is it about them that blows you away?

7) What do you love most about writing music?

8) How do you know when you've written something awesome?

9) As a guitar player who writes music, what is your ultimate musical goal?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading your responses
Last edited by spartanstallone at Nov 8, 2013,
Best of luck with your book!

Quote by spartanstallone

I don't stress too much about material I'm working on that might be stumping me at any given moment. Generally, ideas for those "missing" pieces of a song, whether it's music or lyrics, will come to me at some point, and I find that stressing will cause you to force the issue and maybe not create your best work. I feel it's best to let those ideas come naturally.

The thing that causes me to lose sleep is probably excitement over any big upcoming gigs. It's not nervousness, but rather just the excitement of performing.

I rarely get "frustrated" when I'm writing since it's something that makes me happy. One of the minor annoyances for me, being someone who now has to both play and sing, is finding melodies and lyrics that work over top of the part I need to play on guitar. But, that "work" is more fun and can lead to some really great discoveries.

I can't think of anything that I'm necessarily "afraid" of in terms of songwriting. I guess you always have that hope that a song you've completed that you feel very strongly about will resonate with listeners as much as it does with you.

4) If you could ask a guitarist a question, who would it be and what would you ask?

The guitarist would be Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria, and I'd probably have a couple questions:
1) How do you manage to play some of the more intricate guitar parts and manage to sing over them, and do it perfectly?
2) Can I touch your hair?

5) If you could peek inside a guitarist's brain, who would it be? What would you like to find out most?

Guthrie Govan. And I'd just soak in anything and everything I could, because he's just a master of the instrument.

6) Which guitarist absolutely blows you away and what is it about them that blows you away?

Guthrie Govan, speaking in terms of playing guitar, is absolutely the best guitarist I've ever encountered. Everything he does blows me away, from tone to technique, his approach, just everything.

Steven Wilson and Claudio Sanchez are two of my favorite "songwriters" in Rock music. The songs they write, while maybe not as technically dazzling as Guthrie, just resonate with me.

Creating music is my passion, and if I'm not making music I just don't feel right. I can embrace my creative nature, release emotions, tell a story, etc. I just love everything about creating music.

This is totally subjective and is going to vary from person to person. For me, if a song I've created gets stuck in my head and really strikes a chord with me, then it's awesome. It doesn't really matter if the song isn't received by others as strongly, if it really pleases me, then in my mind it's awesome.

My long term goal as a musician is to be able to make original music and have a life-long career doing it. And I guess I look at that goal differently than some others do, because success to me would be as simple as playing my music to good crowds every single weekend across the broad region where I'm located. If the opportunity would arise for me to take music to the next level above that, that would obviously be great too.

Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by spartanstallone
Hey Guitar Forum

I'm putting together a book for guitarists who write music about how the greats and legends tap into their genius. With your help, I can make this book extra awesome. I read and appreciate every response personally.

Sure I love doing stuff like this!

Quote by spartanstallone

That songs I've written are similar to other more famous songs, or riffs are too similar. That the chord progressions are too common. Basically, I don't want to rip people off, be accused of it or write stuff that's too obvious.

Writing songs or riffs that are similar to my previous songs, finding the timings and notes that I really want, actually completing the songs. Too many of my songs are half done.

People not liking my songs, me not liking them half way through and 3 months later, not being able to finish them.

Who is your main influence.

Jimi Hendrix - I'd like to find out how he managed to successfully materialise all of his visualisations of music. He could think of complex rhythmic and lead parts, combine them and create stuff like Little Wing, to be able to learn how to do something like that would be an ultimate goal. We can all do it to a certain point, but some are just able to do it to the extreme.

As above really. I quite like Billy Corgan, he wrote/writes a lot of songs that mean a lot to me, and he's a pretty awesome guitarist. (Geek USA as an example), Stevie Ray Vaughan had that whole modern blues Albert Lee/Hendrix thing going on; pretty awesome. Also Slash is a pretty impressive example of rock guitar playing.

It's just an outlet. I have tonnes of riffs that are unconnected to anything, then one day you write one thing and play it next to an old thing and it's connected, it's perfect. Plus it allows me great escape from absolutely anything.

Because I play that one riff over and over, adding to it, taking away, or just playing that verse or chorus over and over, never getting bored of it and hearing new tonal possibilities.

I suppose I want to get a band together that is to the standard I want, and with the same influences that I have. I've been in bands where it's music I like, but it's not fully me, or I've had to write to suit everyone's tastes.

Then I want to record an album and play to some people. I'm not looking to tour or become famous, but I'd like to have a professionally produced piece of music that me and my comrades have worked on that I can keep forever. I'm getting there.

I hope this helps!

Quote by spartanstallone
Hey Guitar Forum

The idea that my bandmates are not being truthfull when they say they like the songs. I think I give them the space they want and they all said they didn't have any interest in being the songwriters but I sometimes have the feeling that I'm being overbearing. I think I'm wrong because we all get along and we've been together for a while but it's damn hard to shake that feeling

1. Limitations in my knowledge of my instrument. Sometimes I hear something in my head and I can't put it out on guitar. A few minutes later I can't remember the riff and I'm left with just another generic blues riff

2. The fact that it's impossible to make a living off music. I like my dayjob and it pays well. But if I could, I would spend 40 hours per week in the studio. I know I could still do it but tiredness does affect me. You can see during practices when someone had a rough day... it's a physical limitation as well as a mental one.

3. People not sharing the same vision. This isn't a big problem for me anymore because I've been blessed with the best bandmembers I've ever had but I lost count how many times I wanted to rip someone's skull off because "oh finally I can't jam once a week because of school/work etc."

Nothing... Maybe that people don't like my music? But not so much. To be able to start writing music I had to get over a lot of fears though. They're not there anymore though. MAYBE getting crippled and being physically unable to play music... But I can't say I'm losing too much sleep over that

I honestly can't think of anything. Musicians are notoriously crappy at expressing themselves apart from through their art... I guess I'd ask Hendrix to please stop taking sleeping pills

I'd go into Django Reinhardt's brain or Toni Iommi' and steal their motivation gland.

Originality is often the only common trait linking the greats together. What do Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Django Reinhardt etc. have in common? Their style of playing didn't exist before they arrived

Seeing someone rock out on something I wrote. Hearing something I wrote on the radio. Impressing my bandmates

Same answer as above

To be a guitar player who writes good music. The rest doesn't ultimately matter. When our drummer/producer sends me back a finished song or even a work in project, I'll just listen to it on repeat with headphones for hours on end. Drugs can't touch that feeling

Quote by spartanstallone

Cats mating outside my window.
Six shots of espresso just before bedtime will do it.
Bigfoot, sitting at the foot of the bed singing Bach tunes.

Quote by spartanstallone

I can't get laid by Genesis Rodriguez.
I can't figure out how Transformers really work.
Empty bottles hold no liquor.

Quote by spartanstallone

Big meteors hitting the planet.
Grizzly bears, when I'm coated in salmon guts.
Not being able to perform if Genesis Rodriguez says, "yes."

Quote by spartanstallone

I'd ask Neal Schon if it was really the money that gets him all those hot women.
I'd ask Keef how he can still play with those fingers.
I'd ask Les Paul if Mary Ford sounded good without all the processing.

Quote by spartanstallone

I'd like to find out if Jorma Kokaratcha's brain was still the same size after all the drugs.

Quote by spartanstallone

Nancy Wilson. Her body.

Quote by spartanstallone

It feels so good when it's over.

Quote by spartanstallone

Someone pays me for it. And even *I'm* impressed with it.

Quote by spartanstallone

Great wads of money, the accolades of other professionals, and Genesis Rodriguez finally saying Yes.
Quote by dspellman
*AWESOME SURVEY*

Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.

Nothing, I like my sleep.

Probably my lack of ear training
Not knowing what something will sound like before I play it
Technical constraints

That a pretty girl will say I'm shit? Haha

Steve Vai - where his inspiration comes from, and how he harnesses it.

Being able to create something and say "I did that"

I like it.

To be able to control people emotionally through my guitar, to make them feel what I want them to feel.
I teach guitar, so if you're in Uxbridge, United Kingdom and fancy brushing up, get in contact! Uxbridge Guitar Lessons
I've tried, but the questions are way too vague to yield any meaningful answers.

Not being able to follow my dreams.

Not being good enough.
Not being good enough.
Not being good enough.

Failing.

I would ask pretty much any successful musician (a musician who makes enough money off music to have a decent living) how they managed to do it and how they remain motivated as a perfectionist.

Why they do what they do, and how they feel about what they know and don't know.

John Petrucci. Just about everything- his ability to write such inspiring music and his ability to pick up a guitar and play absolutely anything on it.

It liberates who I am.

Intuition.

To be able to do what I love with the people that I love.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 9, 2013,

Nothing that really has to do with guitar. Usually it's either work for college, or some personal issues of a close friend I'm not planning on divulging online. In terms of guitar though, it's performances more than anything. I'm never happy with the recordings I get, and the only thing that's ever kept me from sleep related to guitar is probably getting the verse and chorus parts exactly right without a hitch. Playing leads and solos is easy, just go off the cuff. Hitting the right notes every single pass of the melody or getting the chord progression perfectly in-time, that's the hard part.

1. Life. Taxes and bills are a bitch. One that makes it hard to find enough time to get satisfactory work done. That's before you get into more specific things too like relationships, emergencies, work, etc.
2. The aforementioned issues with getting a good melody.
3. The sound of the guitar. It's never quite exactly what I want. There's always a little too much top-end, or a little too much mud on the bottom, or too drastic a mid spike or something. Always good, never perfect, and I can hear what I consider perfect in my head.

Mediocrity. Mediocrity more than anything. I hate the idea that any of the songs I'm writing might just end up being filler, might end up making me go "Why did I think this was any good" when I listen back in three years. I'm not looking to make an artifact of history every time I record, but I want every recording to be as good as it can be, and every one to actually be good. Making mediocre songs scares me.

Probably someone who's notable but not famous, never had a charting record but still making a living off of their music, and ask them how the hell to do it.

Guthrie Govan. You can question the guy's compositions - though personally I love them - but you cannot question his technique or his ability to play almost any genre. If I'm getting a peek inside the mind of someone, I want it to be someone who I can look inside the mind of and understand everything there is to understand about the instrument.

Eric Johnson and Paul Gilbert are tied as close seconds for much the same reasons.

Eric Johnson. The way he plays is mesmerizing, and the chordal stuff he plays with a chorus and a delay is beautiful. But then at the drop of a hat, jazzy shreddy stuff. And the guy can sing, too.

The freedom of it. If I want an atonal passage here, dammit, I'm putting an atonal passage here! If I want something simple that's just self-indulgent and fun for me, get ready to hit the skip button buddy, because here comes a seven minute progressive blues odyssey exploring in excruciating detail all the weird things I think sound good over a I-IV-V progression that actually sound horrible!

I'd love to make a living off of this, but at the end of the day, it's probably going to end up being a hobby that I love doing in spare time, and that I can occasionally make a little side cash off of now and then. So why the hell not do whatever the hell I want if I'm doing it for me?

I get to have fun doing what I want, making what I want, and making a coherent statement. That's a wonderful feeling.

I'll get back to you when I accomplish that one.

Well my ultimate goal would be to make a comfortable living off of this so I don't have to work a day job and have a solid retirement fund for when I inevitably lose finger dexterity and can't play anymore. But realistically speaking my goal is to make it sound as good as possible, have fun with it, maybe get some side money out of it, if I can get a decent job off of freelancing off of it by using it as a showcase for my production skills, then amazing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 9, 2013,
This sounds cool! Here's my answers:

I have a variety of things that to that. I always have music going through my head, so if there's a song that I've heard that day that resonates emotionally with me, it tends to get stuck in my head just when I'm trying to sleep and keep me up for a couple hours as I try to get another song stuck in my head that won't make me think as much. Sometimes I have an idea for a song, but I don't feel like getting up and physically writing it down, so I have to dedicate a fair amount of time on those nights keeping it in my head so that I remember it the next day.

My third-biggest frustration is writing a song one night, and then going back and playing it again the next day and realizing it isn't anywhere near as good as I thought (although I must say it's a fun mental exercise to modify songs you've written and been playing for a while, and since I don't record often, my belief of that a song is a work in process until it goes on a CD). My second-biggest frustration is writer's block. Often, I'll come up with one piece of a song, and then have no idea what to put in after it. Because of this, I have a ton of riffs that I think are great, but probably won't ever get used because I can't think of anything else to put around it. My biggest frustration is my technical limitations. As I said earlier, I'm always hearing music in my head, but often I'll think of an idea and know that there's no way I could play it, and that really plagues me.

I'm very self-conscious about my music, so I'm always worried that people won't like my songs. I think it's safe to say that this is a fear that's at writing guitarists share.

I'd love to ask either Steve Vai, Tosin Abasi, or John Petrucci their thought process behind using the entire range of their 7 and 8-string guitars and make it flow naturally and sound musical.

Guthrie Govan has always been a guitarist that I'd love to sit down with for a few hours and see how he does everything he does. He's got one of the best knowledges of music theory of any modern guitarists I know of, and his technique is absolutely flawless.

There's no way I could narrow it down to just one. My top three would probably be Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, and David Gilmour. Guthrie because of what I mentioned above, Shawn because of his amazing feel and his mind-boggling technical ability, and Gilmour because of his tones and his natural ability to know what notes to put where.

It gives me such freedom. It's my outlet for any emotional troubles I have in life, and it's incredibly satisfying to know that I've got songs that I can say I've written.

There's no really good explanation. The best way I can answer that is to say that you just know.

I want to make this into how I make a living, and I want to get my music and message out to as many people as I can.

Good luck with your book!