okay, so I want to make an EP and put it in a cd and planning to give it to someone on christmas so please help how can I record guitar tracks decently?
I use a cheap karaoke microphone resting on a blanket next to my amp. Audacity (free) to record. Same mic for vocals. Drums and bass made on Guitar Pro 6.

It's not professional-sounding but after a bit of mixing and mastering it's good enough for my needs at the moment in that it allows someone to hear my guitar playing, which is just a hobby. For example:

https://soundcloud.com/jehannum/autumns-nearer
wow, great tunes man! I have to try this!. did you create the drum tracks and base lines?
Try Reaper as well - free recording device. You can also pick up some cheapish pro quality mics on amazon. Shure SM-57 - £25-£40 - They work pretty well even though they're cheaper. I think another reason theyre cheaper is because they usually come with jack leads, like guitar ones, not the standard male-female ones...

This was using two of those mics and a trial version of cubase. (I have a little recording box too (2in/2out) but I dunno how you're planning to plug your mics into something)
https://soundcloud.com/static-needles/maude
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
Go to the Recordings forum & read the interfaces sticky.

All your questions will be answered. There are also several recording experts there who can provide you with loads of useful advice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by stratforlife
Im digging the song man! seriously dude, do you have any more samples?

I use Guitar Pro 6 to build the songs. I write in the the guitar parts then add drums and bass.

Then I export the bass and drums as two separate audio files and load them into Audacity. I play & record the guitars (usually two rhythm guitars hard panned right & left & one or two lead guitars).

I simply have the drums coming through my stereo speakers as I play (can't stand using headphones for this). I put the amp and mic sufficiently far away not to pick up too much bleed (maybe put another blanket to cover the amp and mic) but don't I worry about that too much.

Audacity has a bad reputation. One person called it the MS Paint of DAWs, and I agree to a point. But I've tried Reaper and Pro Tools. I went back to Audacity because it's so simple to use and editing tracks is also very easy.

Here's another example, with a synth track which is really just the guitar track in Guitar Pro 6 switched onto another instrument and reverb added:

https://soundcloud.com/jehannum/the-new-wave-feat-peter

All my guitar stuff was recorded like this. Just type 'Jehannum' into Google and my SoundCloud should come up in the #2 position (after Wikipedia!)
Quote by stratforlife
okay, so I want to make an EP and put it in a cd and planning to give it to someone on christmas so please help how can I record guitar tracks decently?

What's your budget? If you want better quality than, say, this, you're on a tight budget, and you don't plan on getting a ton of use out of your equipment, your best bet might actually be to hire a local producer with a better setup than "1 USB mic -> Audacity".
Quote by Jehannum
I use a cheap karaoke microphone resting on a blanket next to my amp. Audacity (free) to record. Same mic for vocals. Drums and bass made on Guitar Pro 6.

It's not professional-sounding but after a bit of mixing and mastering it's good enough for my needs at the moment in that it allows someone to hear my guitar playing, which is just a hobby. For example:

https://soundcloud.com/jehannum/autumns-nearer

Although this works for just recording riffs, it won't really sufficient for recording a good EP.

@TS:
I recommend you get an interface (see here). I like the Scarlett 2i4 (don't buy the 2i2), as it is fairly cheap used. You can get one on eBay for $100-150.

If your amp isn't that great, then look into using VSTs. There's several free ones here. They all tend be designed in such a way that the UI reminds you of an actual amp head or cab. If your amp is good, run out through the line-out or XF line into the interface.

Recording is a bit of a learning curve, but the community here is pretty good at recommending resources or tutorials.
I really want to try using guitar rig but im afraid that i might just waste my money buyinh usb interface cos my pc sucks its like 0.99 gb Ram, and it requires 2 Gb of ram so I have to resort to other choices
Quote by stratforlife
I really want to try using guitar rig but im afraid that i might just waste my money buyinh usb interface cos my pc sucks its like 0.99 gb Ram, and it requires 2 Gb of ram so I have to resort to other choices

First off, 2GB for an interface? Really? That's a lot for a piece of hardware; it shouldn't take up any RAM by itself, other than drivers. The 2GB is probably for the actual recording and editing.
Second, 1GB is nothing. You have no business doing any sort of audio production on a computer like that. RAM is cheap. Buy more RAM.
Quote by stratforlife

Buy a new PC asap. Jeese, dude.
The microphones on cell phones are GREAT for black metal recordings... and budget dudes. I don't know how much "cheaper" you can get than that.

If you got a small budget invest into an audio interface, new pc (custom build), and a DAW that works for you. I don't use Audacity, but I have heard some good stuff from it.

As for micing your guitar, you don't need a real amp if you look into sound impulses (stuff like POD Farm) for free. There's some amazing sounding impulses on the Internet (see below)!

Lepou:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

Other stuff: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/42838-great-impulses-package-all-best-impulses-one-file.html
Last edited by Matthew Delano at Nov 8, 2013,
REAPER isn't free, not legally anyway, not paying for it still constitutes piracy, they just don't enforce it because that doesn't help anyone.

They leave it to people like me who will endlessly call you an asshole for not supporting small devs who are making awesome and really fairly priced products.

And honestly... if you want to record something that you can actually release for people to listen to... it's NEVER going to be cheap. It just isn't. It's a weird mental state the internet and musicians in general seem to be in at the moment, that the improved technology makes recording a) easy and b) cheap. It is, in reality, neither, assuming you want to release what you record.

This is why we still need record labels to give big bands loans so they can actually get shit recorded
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 8, 2013,
Quote by stratforlife

If you aren't going to be upgrading your computer any time soon, a multitracker is probably your best option.

With practice they can make excellent quality recordings, and can do almost everything the software equivalent can. There are some recommendations in the interfaces sticky, and there are usually loads of used ones for sale on ebay.

If you want it to sound professional by christmas though, getting a pro to do it for you is your only option. Learning to record, mix & master is like learning a whole new instrument - it takes time & practice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by stratforlife
will guitar rig run on windows xp?

Yes. But I recommend that you use the free VSTs (I linked to the thread before), rather than Guitar Rig. They're free and probably sound better anyway.

Quote by stratforlife
can you give me simple software for creating drum tracks?

Try these. Note that they're not ready-to-go drum tracks. However, here's a basic tutorial. Look up on Youtube on how to mix drums for your genre of choice. Avoid videos that just say "add X, Y, & Z" without explaining why X, Y, & Z are added.

Also, try to avoid doubleposting.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 8, 2013,
Jehannum
wow. possibly one of the better examples that COMPOSITION is far more important than the medium its recorded.
Nothing, it just has a loading bar that slowly goes up and eventually produces a popup that says download complete.