Hey. Does anyone know of any decent Jim Hendrix guitar books, containing sheet music or tablature? Cheers.

,Ryan
I don't really like tab books in general. They have lots of mistakes in them and they are many times pretty inaccurate - and I wouldn't pay for something like that when you can find lots of Jimi Hendrix tabs on this site, some of which are more accurate than the tabs in the books. You could also try figuring them out by yourself and making your own tabs. That's what I did when I started playing. It takes time but it also improves your ears a lot.

Maybe try figuring them out by yourself (it takes time but IMO it's worth it), but if you can't do it, maybe look at the tabs on this site.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 8, 2013,
He only put out like 3 albums - jam with the albums and figure out the chords from the bass line. Hendrix's rhythm playing makes a LOT more sense once you know what the chords are.
Since people have already given you good advice on books with transcriptions i am going to give the same advice i always do.

Pick up the albums and learn by ear. It will benefit you more then reading how to play the songs from a books. You will remember the songs better and the playing influence will grow into your own playing more naturally. With a book you might also find that the books have errors in them, and the worst feeling ever if you don't learn by ear is paying money for a flawed transcription.

There are countless more reasons to learn by ear instead, but since it seems your set on buying a book of it i am not going to waste any time for any of us rabbling on about it.

I'm just saying, i strongly recommend you learn it by ear instead.

Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I would say that learning from tab books at the start can help your ear because it lets you see how most guitar players would play something you can already hear. and then once you start to recognise that, you'll start to recognise how to play things by ear.

if you ask me starting off trying to transcribe by ear is kinda jumping in at the deep end. I'm not sure it's the most efficient way to learn.

that's not to say you shouldn't use your ears as well- if something sounds wrong the way it's been transcribed, it probably is. Also if something seems awkward to play, it may well not be transcribed very well- I frequently see tabs where the notes are right, but the way it's been transcribed to play on the fretboard is... awkward, frankly. Again, learning from (accurate) tabs will help you to start to understand how a guitar player would actually approach playing something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 9, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I would say that learning from tab books at the start can help your ear because it lets you see how most guitar players would play something you can already hear. and then once you start to recognise that, you'll start to recognise how to play things by ear.

if you ask me starting off trying to transcribe by ear is kinda jumping in at the deep end. I'm not sure it's the most efficient way to learn.

that's not to say you shouldn't use your ears as well- if something sounds wrong the way it's been transcribed, it probably is. Also if something seems awkward to play, it may well not be transcribed very well- I frequently see tabs where the notes are right, but the way it's been transcribed to play on the fretboard is... awkward, frankly. Again, learning from (accurate) tabs will help you to start to understand how a guitar player would actually approach playing something.

I agree. Hendrix isn't the easiest music to transcribe. So if you have never learned any songs by ear, I would start with something easier like AC/DC. So maybe learn some Hendrix songs from tabs if you need to learn them right now. But also start working on your ear so in the future you can learn any Hendrix song by ear. Also you could first learn it from tab and then listen to it - does it sound right? If not, try figuring out which part of it doesn't sound right.

And yeah, I also agree that some tabs have awkward fingerings - the notes are right but the fingerings just make it harder than it really is.

But yeah, as I said in my earlier post, there are lots of tabs on this site so maybe take a look at them. And some of them are really good.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^

I don't want to complain too much, because I'm thankful that people take the time to transcribe these things for free (and I know I sure can't be bothered) But yeah at least some of the tabs look to me like someone has a good ear for getting the notes right, but not that much knowledge about how you'd actually transfer that to guitar. I.e. they started transcribing when maybe they should have been checking out (correct) tabs first.

But yeah lots of the free tabs on UG are great, too. And as you said, hendrix isn't exactly the easiest thing to start with if you are wanting to learn to transcribe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd say look up the chords, rather than the tabs. Reading E C G D is a lot easier than a bunch of seemingly random numbers. Hendrix's rhythm playing in particular would be a mess to notate because of all the ornamentation.
tab books are pretty much useless, you'll discover that on your own after trying to learn note from note and giving up. learning by ear is more productive, all the guitarists you are listening to didn't learn by studying tab books.
id recommend just borrowing that book from your library if you're still interested
Thanks a lot guys for your detailed responses. I've done a little transcribing, but I've never transcribed an entire song before. I know quite a few Led Zeppelin songs, so I'll start transcribing some simple Led songs as there all quite similar in some respects. Thanks
Quote by cdgraves
I'd say look up the chords, rather than the tabs. Reading E C G D is a lot easier than a bunch of seemingly random numbers. Hendrix's rhythm playing in particular would be a mess to notate because of all the ornamentation.

maybe, but if it's that intricate it's gonna be even harder to work out by ear if you're not used to it.

"I don't trust you to read this complex stuff off a sheet of paper but I do trust you to work it out by ear"

it's like telling someone you don't think they can handle your explanation of calculus but that if they work it out themselves it'll be ok. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote by SuperKid
all the guitarists you are listening to didn't learn by studying tab books.

to be fair, with a lot of older guitarists that's because tab books didn't exist

it's like saying jimi hendrix didn't use modelling gear or alexander the great didn't use stealth bombers.

I'd also query your ability to know how all the guitarists in the world learned.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 10, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe, but if it's that intricate it's gonna be even harder to work out by ear if you're not used to it.

"I don't trust you to read this complex stuff off a sheet of paper but I do trust you to work it out by ear"

Well I don't know where the poster is with their playing and ear skills. Some people take quickly to figuring out chords from a bass line, some don't. I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating a strict curriculum of doing things above their skill level, but always try to get something by ear first.

Either way, having a grasp of CAGED triads and scales (as in, knowing the notes, not just the shapes) will make playing Hendrix much easier. He's a great example of a player who makes the most out of very basic material through his superb technique and rhythm. If you have that basic "theory" and fretboard knowledge, Hendrix music is a good way to learn how to use it effectively.
oh yeah, that's a good point, everyone is different. I'm not too bad at figuring out lead parts by ear, for example, but useless at figuring out chords

And yeah hendrix was great.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tabs for Hendrix music is a bad idea.. try to figure by ear and use a slow downer. And if you have trouble then YouTube tutorials are all over the place.