Hey all, I've been trying to get my hands on a 9 string for quite a while now. Now, when I say 9 string, Im talking about, basically the type of guitar Matt Pike used to play, with the regular 6 string set-up with octave strings pairing with the g-b-e strings. I can't seem to get my hands on one. First act custom shop made his and another one for Bill Kelliher, but I haven't been able to get a response from their custom dept. even though I've emailed several times. I've thought about just removing the octave strings on a 12 string on the e-a-d strings and playing it that way, but I'm concerned it might jack up the neck over time... So i've entertained the idea of building my own 9 string, mostly because I would love to learn how, mostly. So, with this, comes a few questions.....

1.) I've never built a guitar, I have done some woodwork in the past....Am I biting off more than I can chew with this?
2.) I've done some reading here and there...Is there a supply shop for the wood/parts that is preferred among the luthiers here?
3.) What else should I know before I even start?

Thanks everyone.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
Are you planning to build the guitar totally from scratch, or were you hoping to buy some pre-made parts to put together?

Lots of people building their first guitar go with the 'buy a body and neck, then put the final touches on them' route, and it's definitely the easier way..you don't have to worry about access to a shop/machines, and many of the more intimidating things are already done for you.

Obviously if you're going with a 9 string then there'll be more final touches though.. mainly the bridge (your best bet would be a tune-o-matic with unslotted saddles, which would need to be slotted appropriately for the extra strings), as well as the nut (again, slotted to work with the added strings), and a headstock that'll support the extra tuners without running into one another

As a first build it's definitely a little ambitious, so whether you're biting off more than you can chew or not is kind of up to your own abilities