Hi everyone!
What headphones would you recommend for home recording?
I understood that it's important that they should be"Flat" but I want to be able to use them for listening to music as well...
I was told that Sennheiser HD25 aluminium are good

What do you think?
What headphones are you guys using?

Thanx!
P.S - my budget is about 430$
Quote by Random3
Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

Never not this.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What exactly do you want to do with said headphones?

I realize you want them for "recording," but are you just using them to track on? Will you use them as a reference set to dial in low end/reverb, etc? Or do you want to fully mix on them?

If the answer is the last... I'd suggest you buy monitors, rather than headphones.

Quote by Random3
Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

+1, either way. You won't find anything significantly better, unless you spend 4 - 5 times the price. But if you're just using the headphones for tracking, no real point in spending this much money.

Another set to look into would be the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. They're not as balanced as the ATH-M50s are, but they are INSANELY comfortable... so if you plan on wearing them for a long time, comfort might win over overall balanced sound... since you're going to fatigue quicker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for the replies!
Well, I'm still not sure what I need them more for - Listening to music or making music..
For making music I'll need them for recording guitar (unfortunately I record directly from my Roland UA25 and through Guitar rig) and practicing. And of course to mix my recordings.
I have some fine old JVC monitors that are I use as well.
I'm no pro in mixing and mastering and my projects are for fun (for now..) but I want a decent pair of headphone..
Today i'm using "Technics" RP-F300 but they are about 5 years old and I can finally afford myself a treat.
I've got the ''Shure SRH440'' and i love them!

They have a flat sound and are closed back headphones so they are really good for recording. Would not recommend them for mixing though.

Depends on how you want to listen to music. Laying in bed with studio headphones is not really comfortable, no matter which ones you choose!

I recommend the Shure phones but man, you got a big budget. Don't listen to me and my 120-ish $ phones, go BIG! haha.

Blessings!
-T
You can find Sony MDR-7506s in pretty much every studio. They are $100 and you can find thousands of reviews of these online.
The top of the range Beats by Dre are terrific as a bass reference, a lot of headphones that are flat have no real bass.
Quote by unofficiallyme2
The top of the range Beats by Dre are terrific as a bass reference, a lot of headphones that are flat have no real bass.

Just... no...

All headphones have a decent amount of Bass, the beats just have INCREDIBLY HYPED bass so the bass is so loud that EVERYTHING sounds muddy and attempting to mix on them is completely pointless because the bass is so incredibly boosted.

You're also wasting a shit tonne of money when you can buy M50's for £100 and Beats "studio" headphones run over £200

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 11, 2013,
Quote by unofficiallyme2

Ignore everything this man says, now and in the future!

I use Sennheiser HD380 pros. Very nice closed back headphones, absurdly comfortable. However, for normal music listening they are not fantastic as they are very big!
Quote by unofficiallyme2

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_PWifUd1w

Literally the ONLY thing that the top end Beats are objectively better at than Audio Technica ATH-M50s is they are made of a more durable material.
It's really cute when you guys think the top line beats are bad. It's really ****ing cute.
Have you ever listened to them?
Hmmm.... my instinct was to laugh about the Beats suggestion. However, this proved interesting:

(Invalid img)

I compared them to my AKG K240's, which are a studio staple. They didn't fare half bad.

However, I'd still take my K240's. For critical listening, you want a smooth-as-possible response curve. The Beats are more solid on the bottom end, but not near as hyped as I thought they'd be, over the K240's. At 40hz, the Beats are about 3db louder. Noticeable, but not brutal. However, the Beats drop off precipitously by 30hz, whereas the K240's roll off much more smoothly.

In the mids, the AKG's drop gradually between about 140hz to about 7khz, with a little bit of a bump around 2k. The overall drop is a pretty surprising 15db, which is to say that an A2 will sound well over twice as loud as an A14. Now, before we sound the alarm bells, no notes are actually played around A14, so it is some of the harmonic frequencies that will be under-represented, as compared with a fundamental of a bass guitar.

More troubling, though, is the Beats. There is a big dip between 400 hz and 700 hz, and then it goes back up again just before 1100 hz. That dip represents a difference of 8db. That is to say that G4 and D6 will be heard at roughly the same volume, but the F5 between them will be only half as loud. That is going to result in some weirdness - particularly given that that frequency range potentially includes the fundamentals of some of your notes, and not 'just' upper harmonics. There is a similar drop of a full 12 db between about 1.1 khz and 1.3 khz. The note C#6 would be perceived as twice as loud as E6, only a minor third away, even when the notes are actually at exactly the same volume. That kind of stuff is going to drive you bat-sh!t crazy trying to mix.

By comparison, the same drop to that dip in the AKG phones is about 6db - significant, yes, but we're comparing 25% quieter, as opposed to 50% quieter.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As much as I like my AKG 240's, I don't really mix on them. I do some critical listening - edits, checking reverb, getting a second opinion, etc. Because they're semi-open, though, they're not great for recording, as the mics pick them up if the room is otherwise quiet.

For tracking, I use a few pairs of $5 closed-back headphones from "Chateau" that I picked up at the surplus store. I might have even seen them at Dollarama. Yeah, they pretty well suck for mixing or listening, but they're plenty loud enough for tracking, they're closed backed so they don't bleed that much into the mics, and if they get broken, nobody cries for very long. They sound as good as they need to for tracking.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by unofficiallyme2
It's really cute when you guys think the top line beats are bad. It's really ****ing cute.

Are you kidding me?

Beats are overpriced pieces of crap that college kids buy because they look cool plugged into their Macbook Pro. That's it.

Contrary to your first comment - Most headphones have TOO MUCH bass. The Beats headphones are no exception. They are insanely hyped in the low end, just like 95% of consumer-grade phones. They're okay if you're listening to rap, or generally enjoy having your ears pounded by low frequencies, but not much else.

Beats headphones are pretty much the laughing stock of the hifi and audio world.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Are you kidding me?

Beats are overpriced pieces of crap that college kids buy because they look cool plugged into their Macbook Pro. That's it.

Contrary to your first comment - Most headphones have TOO MUCH bass. The Beats headphones are no exception. They are insanely hyped in the low end, just like 95% of consumer-grade phones. They're okay if you're listening to rap, or generally enjoy having your ears pounded by low frequencies, but not much else.

Beats headphones are pretty much the laughing stock of the hifi and audio world.

Omg. You are so wrong it hurts my brain. Headphones, by design, can't output good bass. Beats can because they're active.
By "audio world" do you mean other misinformed people on these message boards?
I'm familiar with sought-after mastering engineers who would agree that beats serve as a great reference point for bass - they're obviously not using them themselves. But for someone who can't throw up some 12inch drivers beats are perfect.
Beats are a very good reference point for bass. They are also a good reference point for what these college kids, you hate for some reason, will be listening on - Maybe not to terrible metal music, sure.

You should take it upon yourself to use your ears instead of eyes.
I would never, ever trade my AKGs for Beats. Sure, if all you want is thumping bass in your head im sure theyre ok. But I've always heard even for that there are far better for half the price. But if you listen to anything other than hiphop, Beats are the absolute worst you can pick. My AKG Q701 + Asus Xonar STX + Schiit Magni = sonic heaven that Beats could never begin to provide. Sure they dont pump out dump truck loads of bass like Bass, but they arent meant to. They are meant to precise and accurate. There are moments im listening to music on these and hear shit that literally sounds like its coming from in the kitchen, it freaks me out sometimes. Every thing is heard of these headphones. Every breath taken, every finger movement on the strings, the saliva in the mouth, the pages being turned, you name it. Listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons is orgasmic with these as well.

That being said, dont just get a great pair of headphones. You need a great DAC and possibly an amp as well. Without a proper DAC/Amp you will be missing half, sometimes more, of the whole equation. Dont forget that.
Last edited by uziyourillusion at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by unofficiallyme2
Omg. You are so wrong it hurts my brain. Headphones, by design, can't output good bass. Beats can because they're active.
I'm familiar with sought-after mastering engineers who would agree that beats serve as a great reference point for bass - they're obviously not using them themselves. But for someone who can't throw up some 12inch drivers beats are perfect.
Beats are a very good reference point for bass. They are also a good reference point for what these college kids, you hate for some reason, will be listening on - Maybe not to terrible metal music, sure.

Active does not mean good bass response. Good design means good bass response. want some maths or will you take my word for it?

As a reference point, sure. they can be useful because it's another type of system, and you need to check your mix works on many systems. But I guarantee if you mix on them your mix will not work for many other systems. And they are most certainly not for mastering. Mastering needs to be done on the flattest, most well treated systems, and beats are not flat!

I spent some time comparing beats models with other things, and even own a pair myself. They make me dislike my favourite music. They are that bad.
Quote by unofficiallyme2

Where did you hear this? In a Best Buy ad? From a sales person? There's so much wrong with this statement that it completely voids the rest of your argument, but I'll play along.

Quote by unofficiallyme2

Nope. I mean professionals who make a living off recording, mixing and mastering music every single day.

Quote by unofficiallyme2

Please, I would love to see this list of "sought-after" mastering engineers that are using Beats headphones.

Quote by unofficiallyme2

Reference is the key word here. Do you know what that means?

It means they're mixing on another system and "referencing" the mix on these headphones, to make sure that their original mix translates well to them. I won't discount them as a reference pair, they are quite popular in the consumer market, as are car stereos, desktop speakers and iPod earphones. However, I would never trust them for dialing in bass, because they're just not accurate, at all.

Quote by unofficiallyme2

I have used them, several times, thank you very much

I actually own a pair of their "Studio" headphones that I got on sale for stupid cheap a while back. They are a good reference pair, sure - Lots consumers use them, so it'd be silly to discount them there, but they are terrible headphones to mix to. They are not flat at all, the low end is muffled and that active noise canceling crap kills the clarity.

They are good for listening, as they are fairly comfortable and the noise canceling circuit causes less listening fatigue. However, this "real bass" you hear, is the product of them having a rolled off sub-bass and a hyped low end with a scoop in the mids. In fact, the "real bass" you're hearing, isn't accurate, at all.

For the price you're paying for these headphones, they are a complete and utter joke. $400 for their "Pro" headphones? You can buy a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K701 for less than that, and they totally kill the Beats line for mixing. Hell, for $200, you can buy a pair of AKG K550s that have a bumped low end, like the Beats, but actually still retains sub-bass AND clarity, not to mention, they look way more cool
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by unofficiallyme2

Not much I can say that Matrix hasn't already said, but I have to believe you are trolling. No way you are genuinely saying that after watching the video I posted.

EDIT: Ok I just had a look at the Beats website and I just had to share this:

Beats Pro professional headphones sound so good because they put back the quality lost in modern-day file compression. That means you’re really hearing music the way it was originally heard by the artist in the studio.

Am I misunderstanding this or are they trying to say that their headphones un-compress music?
Last edited by Random3 at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by Random3

Am I misunderstanding this or are they trying to say that their headphones un-compress music?

I believe they are likening the headphones to studio playback equipment, which is laughable.
I know a lot of people dislike Beats because they were originally designed and built by Monster Audio. I believe there is actually a Beats company that build them now, but Monster designed them. Monster Cable is largely a farce.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Where did you hear this? In a Best Buy ad? From a sales person? There's so much wrong with this statement that it completely voids the rest of your argument, but I'll play along.

Nope. I mean professionals who make a living off recording, mixing and mastering music every single day.

Please, I would love to see this list of "sought-after" mastering engineers that are using Beats headphones.

Reference is the key word here. Do you know what that means?

It means they're mixing on another system and "referencing" the mix on these headphones, to make sure that their original mix translates well to them. I won't discount them as a reference pair, they are quite popular in the consumer market, as are car stereos, desktop speakers and iPod earphones. However, I would never trust them for dialing in bass, because they're just not accurate, at all.

I have used them, several times, thank you very much

I actually own a pair of their "Studio" headphones that I got on sale for stupid cheap a while back. They are a good reference pair, sure - Lots consumers use them, so it'd be silly to discount them there, but they are terrible headphones to mix to. They are not flat at all, the low end is muffled and that active noise canceling crap kills the clarity.

They are good for listening, as they are fairly comfortable and the noise canceling circuit causes less listening fatigue. However, this "real bass" you hear, is the product of them having a rolled off sub-bass and a hyped low end with a scoop in the mids. In fact, the "real bass" you're hearing, isn't accurate, at all.

For the price you're paying for these headphones, they are a complete and utter joke. $400 for their "Pro" headphones? You can buy a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K701 for less than that, and they totally kill the Beats line for mixing. Hell, for $200, you can buy a pair of AKG K550s that have a bumped low end, like the Beats, but actually still retains sub-bass AND clarity, not to mention, they look way more cool

Did you read ANY of what you quoted?
Mother****er.
Quote by unofficiallyme2
Mother****er.

Wat?

Did you?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by unofficiallyme2
Mother****er.

ur a dumb.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
My dad can beat up your dad.

CT

Quote by unofficiallyme2
Mother****er.

Reported - flaming, profanity.

I mean, sure, it can be amusing as hell to see threads degenerate into pointless name-calling, but this subforum has a tradition of a higher level of discourse here.

CT

Does this sub-forum have a tradition of not reading, quoting, then writing what was in the quote as if it were your idea?
Mother**** shit balls.
No, from where I'm standing MatrixClaw was spot on with pretty much everything, he rebuked every point you made.

Not our fault you've been brainwashed by Beats' adverts and marketing jargon.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by unofficiallyme2
Does this sub-forum have a tradition of not reading, quoting, then writing what was in the quote as if it were your idea?
Mother**** shit balls.

You are quite possibly the worst troll I've ever encountered, I mean - I can't figure out why you keep randomly blurting out profanities? It's not even funny, bro.

Going to go ahead and close this thread now, since someone's got their panties in a bunch for no reason and can't seem to be civil in his responses. It's a good thing I'm such a nice guy and didn't ban you for acting like a child and completely ruining the OP's thread so you could go on your little ego trip
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com