Page 1 of 2
Did my usual google news browse and came across this
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/sport/football-hilltout-rural-africa/
It's an article about a place in Africa without water electricity or possessions except football. They think we are too attached to possessions and lose our minds in them. Do we? Think about you day. What items do you use? What posessions are you guys attached to? If anyone is like me, my possessions include my iPhone my guitar my weed and food. I don't really get consumed by posessions. I might whip out my iPhone if I'm bored or waiting for something. I don't think an acoustic guitar counts as the type of possessions people talk about. I could live with nothing but food water acoustic and my girlfriend

What kinds of possessions do non musicians get lost in?
Didn't even read thread, but yes obviously. It's very clear we are. Are there people who say we aren't? Well **** them I have more stuff than they do.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

A boy takes a condom.

He inflates it slowly, each breath meticulously measured as the creation begins to take shape.

Maybe he should try using it as intended or give it to someone who will so, you know, they can stop spreading AIDS all over the god-damned place.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
A boy takes a condom.

He inflates it slowly, each breath meticulously measured as the creation begins to take shape.

Maybe he should try using it as intended or give it to someone who will so, you know, they can stop spreading AIDS all over the god-damned place.

These people like soccer. They're idiots. So to whatever the question was, no.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
i'm not attached enough. i want my computer integrated into my brain.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Football is what keeps the village breathing. Every evening a match takes place amid noise and a carnival of color.

Sounds like they're overly attached to football related possessions.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Maybe if they had shit they'd be attached to it too.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
sour grapes

oh wait they're too poor to afford grapes
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Having a higher standard of living than Africans =/= Too attached to material possessions.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 8, 2013,
Yes but are we attached to possessions is the question. I know most musician are the same. I have my instrument my phone and I'm good to go
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Lol you guys are all assholes.

I was just messin'. But really, it's hard to make crosscultural assumptions. Like they're happy with just soccer and being alive or whatever. They're happy and content with what they have. So when they look at all the things we have, it all seems unnecessary. But we all have these things. If we looked at a hypothetical culture with more than us, we'd probably say stuff like "Man, I don't know why they need all that stuff. I get along just fine with my iPhone, car, smart TV, etc."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Yes but are we attached to possessions is the question.

What lolmints said.

Possessions generally do improve our standards of living, so I don't see as it being unhealthy to value it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm not attached to material possessions, I'm attached to their aid in my quality of life.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Lol you guys are all assholes.

;_; this is the Pit I once longed for

This is beatiful ts, what you did here *wipes tear of joy*
No we are not we need to buy and sell more so that the money keeps on flowing.

Buy copper it's good.
Last edited by macashmack at Nov 8, 2013,
Africa is the reason my optimism is so high. When something bad happens I say to myself "at least I dont live in Africa."

also, America changes the shit out of you. There are so many north african refuges in Arizona. A lot of them get into the whole buy a house and car american dream bullplot.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by lolmnt
Maybe if they had shit they'd be attached to it too.

My thoughts exactly, they think they're above everyone else because they have very little? It's not by choice so I call bullshit. Like anyone should give a magicarp what some little shit in africa says. Maybe they should worry about finding more food or making progress on their AIDS epidemic instead of telling westerners they have too much stuff.
Quote by Nelshizzle
Africa is the reason my optimism is so high. When something bad happens I say to myself "at least I dont live in Africa."

By that logic you would have no reason to be happy because other people in the world have it better than you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
guys, i think we should let them have this one out of the goodness of our hearts. they probably played a game of football for breakfast this morning.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
No, Tyler Durden, I am not too attached to my possessions.
My God, it's full of stars!
I agree with most everything being said , and I knew that I would. Most musicians are really humble and don't dwell on things like cars and money ect. But I feel like there are a few things we do take for granted and if we realized it our lives would be better.

In my opinion face time is not as personal as an in person conversation. Technology is a good thing though so you can't really say anything against it
Yes, I am materialistic and I'm attached to my possessions. That doesn't make me better or worse than someone who doesn't care about what they own.
cat
Some people are. I see people messing with their phones for basically the whole night at a bar. Why even go out? You can do that at home

I have an ipod touch and I find it really awesome, but pretty crazy. I can be sitting in bed and go "you know, I feel like listening to this album while I go to sleep" I can then go on iTunes and buy it within a minute. I can buy an entire album (or movie) without even leaving my bed. I also rent movies from xbox. I'm just sitting in a huge chair and I can rent pretty much anything I want super fast and watch it instantly. I feel I have no right to ever say "I'm bored" because there is so much shit to do in my room alone it's crazy
I've found myself caring less and less about material possessions... improving physical, emotional, and mental state through fitness training, eating well, and expressing oneself through an artistic medium (such as music) will do so much more for you than any product you can buy.

I probably value my guitar gear, ipod, and car the most, but I wouldn't be ridiculously upset if anything happened to them... they are just material things in the end and are replaceable enough. Having a neurotic and emotional attachment to your possessions is just silly. It's losing the meaning of why they are valuable to you in the first place.

And this is kind of a ranty tangent but I think it's ridiculous that some people are wrecked with anxiety when they don't have a cell phone for a while... that's the kind of neurotic attachment I was mentioning.
Yes duh. That's why everybody is so sad so often.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I agree with most everything being said , and I knew that I would. Most musicians are really humble and don't dwell on things like cars and money ect. But I feel like there are a few things we do take for granted and if we realized it our lives would be better.

In my opinion face time is not as personal as an in person conversation. Technology is a good thing though so you can't really say anything against it

I love how you're so bad with trolling about the wholehumble musician shtick that everyone 's just totally ignoring it
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Yes, and having everyone attached to their possessions is kinda necessary for capitalism. It used to be that products were advertised based on what they do, and how well they do it. Now it's all about what that product "says about you". Remember the pathetic rebranding of coke lite to coke "zero"? Exactly the same thing repackaged for insecure men.

So we're trying to create our own brand by juxtaposing other brands. I have my favorite soft drinks brand, my favorite clothes designers, I have my favorite digital content retailers and so on. My uniqueness is the sum of these choices. My sense of self is my purchase history.
How can you possibly not name any of these favorite brands?
Last edited by Masquirina at Nov 9, 2013,
idgaf

I love my stuff. It makes me happy and it's fun to use. I can go out of play basketball or football whenever I want. But I don't cuz I have a million other thing to preoccupy my time with.

oh my god, so materialistic
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
No, we're symbolic creatures and possessions are things onto which we can grant meaning and value. Yes, it probably can go too far and become a psychosis or neurosis, but an appreciation for possessions, and in some sense a hoarding of specific possessions due to their semantic meaning - not their utility - is something that I would say is almost essential to mental health. Regardless of state, humans clearly seek out items and tokens for purely aesthetic or emotional reasons.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Yes we are.
Then again I don't see them volunteering to give up their football. Practice what you preach.
Quote by simoncheesecake
Yes we are.
Then again I don't see them volunteering to give up their football. Practice what you preach.

Do as I say not as I do
Page 1 of 2