Page 1 of 3
I was thinking about this the other day.

Why is Christian rock music called Christian rock? It is simply rock music with Christian themed lyrics, why does that make it Christian rock? Musically it is no different from non-Christian rock.

If I wrote a pop song with lyrics that happened to be about decapitating people it would still be pop music because the musical genre itself is not changed by it's lyrical content.

There are some lyrical themes that tend to be prevalent in some genres but if you take a song WITHIN that genre and re-write the lyrics to be about something else, that shouldn't mean the song has suddenly shifted genres because the music has not changed.

Am I right in thinking this?
You're wrong in thinking that.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Random3
I was thinking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnppaqIHQUY#t=22
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
There's a difference between using Christian imagery and preaching the love of Jesus. Christian Rock band tends to fall into the latter.

Also I had to post this becuase it's been years since I last saw it and you reminded me of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 8, 2013,
Quote by Malchius
There's a difference between using Christian imagery and preaching the love of Jesus. Christian Rock band tends to fall into the latter.

Amen
The real question is, what's up with all these mormon bands?

Panic at the disco
the killers
imagine dragons
arcade fire
etc

Is Mitt romney getting his revenge by unleashing them on us?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by Random3
Why is Christian rock music called Christian rock?

You just answered your own question.

It's so that people who are not Christians don't wind up stumbling upon shitty music.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i think it's so that Christians don't accidentally get possessed by the devil by listening to regular rock. sort of the same concept as vegan and halal. i'm only sort of joking.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i think it's so that Christians don't accidentally get possessed by the devil by listening to regular rock. sort of the same concept as vegan and halal. i'm only sort of joking.

This guy is actually sort of correct. I don't know if that's the reason WHY they are labeled but it certainly has a place. As a Christian, I know sooo many people that will very strictly listen only to bands who have labeled themselves as such. I guess they feel convicted if they listen to something else.

For me, I otherwise pretty much agree on the original post. Bands like Extol and Oh Sleeper shouldn't be tossed aside because of their lyrics.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik

For me, I otherwise pretty much agree on the original post. Bands like Extol and Oh Sleeper shouldn't be tossed aside because of their lyrics.

You're right, they should be tossed aside because they're shit.
Quote by sage76
The real question is, what's up with all these mormon bands?

Panic at the disco
the killers
imagine dragons
arcade fire
etc

Is Mitt romney getting his revenge by unleashing them on us?

I love this.

Also, a lot of Christian rock is boring. They need to be better at making music.
Don't ever leave me, Jesus. I couldn't stand to see you go.
My heart would simply snap, my Lord, if you walked on out that door.
I promise I'll be good to you, and keep you warm at night.
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, why don't we just... shut off the lights.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by blake1221
You're right, they should be tossed aside because they're shit.

Oh gee didn't see that post coming from a mile away. Grow up.

Quote by Tag43
Also, a lot of Christian rock is boring. They need to be better at making music.

This is true. But they aren't boring because they are Christian, they are boring because they are boring. A lot of secular bands are boring too.
Last edited by Rawshik at Nov 8, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik

This is true. But they aren't boring because they are Christian, they are boring because they are boring. A lot of secular bands are boring too.

wow such elitism
It's an important term. If you know a band is christian rock, that means that you know to listen to them if you are a christian and avoid them at all cost if you are not. It's really just to help get the music to the right demographic (teenagers from the midwest most likely). Very basic marketing technique.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 8, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik
Oh gee didn't see that post coming from a mile away. Grow up.

Eat me, Rawshit.
Quote by blake1221
Eat me, Rawshit.

Quote by Random3
Musically it is no different from non-Christian rock.

I disagree. I can generally tell christian music from secular before the lyrics even begin. It's disturbingly upbeat the way that other music has no right to be.
blake and rawshik both need more jesus in their life
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Sometimes is doesn't matter how good musically the band is, if they're preaching at me in the lyrics I can find it hard to listen to. Not just religion but politics, animal rights, feminism, anti-feminism, furryism, fanaticism, philosophy, straight edge, health and lifestyle, pottery, list making, running gags, driving a point into the ground.

Y'know?
gospel music is pretty cool
Quote by blake1221
Right?

Whenever I see Jesus up on that Cross I can't help but think that he looks kinda hot...
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Whenever I see Jesus up on that Cross I can't help but think that he looks kinda hot...

I wanna get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus, I wanna feel his salvation all over my face.

-Rawshik
Quote by blake1221
I wanna get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus, I wanna feel his salvation all over my face.

-Rawshik

perfect
___

Quote by The_Blode
Christian Rap is so much worse

EDIT: I got talking to this guy at an open mic (that was admittedly run by the Christian Society) who'd just been spraying off some pretty mean bars, was good. He asked who I was into so i was chatting about MF Doom and my new found love of Open Mike Eagle, Nocando and a couple others. Asked him and he said he exclusively listens to Christian Rap...

So not Hip Hop
Last edited by willT08 at Nov 8, 2013,
Page 1 of 3