So I have never personally set-up my Strat all the way, but I have done so on my LP. I recently kicked the Strat down to half step and moved up to 11's from 10's.

When I took my LP in for a set-up the last time I realized after dicking around I was able to do a better job setting it up on my own.

I believe my current measurement on the relief test (fretting the first and last fret on the bass E) is .008" at the 7th fret on my LP with feeler gauges.

However, when I went to check the relief on my LP, I noticed online users and Fender themselves, recommended action generally higher than .008", which I believe is viewed as on the high side for Gibsons.

Could anyone explain this variation? Is it general practice to set Strats with higher action? Am I missing something? I just loosened up the truss on the Strat, waiting for it to settle atm.
Quote by RockAddict311

Could anyone explain this variation? Is it general practice to set Strats with higher action?

Not really.
It can be set as low or high as you want it. As long as you're not getting fret buzz and the guitar plays how you like it, it's all up to you.
I don't set the relief on my guitars differently based on type or brand. The correct relief will depend on how level the frets are and what kind of player you are. If the frets are perfectly level you can get by with little or no relief. If you are a heavy handed player you might want a little more and/or set your string height up a little more.
I belief the reason strats are recommended with higher action, is because you need to hit a bit harder to produce a few of the sweet sweet strat tones.

Hitting harder with low action can result in fret buzz.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by dspellman
Not really.

exactly.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I belief the reason strats are recommended with higher action, is because you need to hit a bit harder to produce a few of the sweet sweet strat tones.

whereas a les paul sounds good no matter how you play it.

even a violin bow works well.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 9, 2013,
i have a lot of guitars and do a lot of setups, but after a while, you get used to what you like and know where you like it.

i don't think i have measured in the last 10 years. i just put it where it feels right.

however i did have a friend who liked how one of my guitars played and he had something similar and he wanted to know, so i pull out my ID and a few business cards, it was about the thickness of my ID.

there are specs, but there are ALWAYS preferences, just long as it is backbowing. so you do have to keep an eye on it once in a while (never happened to me).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yah, I like my action generally high enough to prevent buzz while playing softly, but I always seem to get buzz when I hammer on the chords heavily, but nothing that is picked up on the amp generally. Usually just heard when playing unplugged.

Does buzz from playing harder cause fret wear?
Last edited by RockAddict311 at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by RockAddict311

Does buzz from playing harder cause fret wear?

No, but if you're gripping the strings harder, you're grinding your strings into your frets. THAT will cause accelerated fret wear.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

however i did have a friend who liked how one of my guitars played and he had something similar and he wanted to know, so i pull out my ID and a few business cards, it was about the thickness of my ID.

I don't think I've ever had that much relief on a guitar. I was told it should never be more than the thickness of a new playing card. Definitely NOT a business card and no way an ID card or credit card. I think mine normally runs between .005" and .010", absolute max. YMMV, obviously.
Quote by RockAddict311
Is it general practice to set Strats with higher action?.

No.
Rule of thumb Ive used for setting action is set the string height to meet the middle of your finger pad when you bend the string below it up to where the finger meets the next string thereby pushing the next string up, instead of over the finger or under the finger... Difficult for me to describe without pictures. The action on my guitar in mm will be around 6 or so mm from the board, some might say its high, it works for me.. This was recently spoken about on one of Pixxxy lixx's video's on youtube. Dont get the relief and the action confused, they dont really have a great deal to do with each other except for eliminating fret buzz. As for setting guitars action higher or lower, that depends on how you play that guitar more than anything, I filthy Ibanez with a floyd might be lower because you give it the full brooatz shred stylez, wheres your Gibson ES 330 might be higher for actual tone and melody... Something that shredheads know **** all about....
Quote by dazza027
The action on my guitar in mm will be around 6 or so mm from the board, some might say its high, it works for me..

That's kind of ambiguous -- 6mm from the surface of the fretboard? And where; what fret?

Action is usually measured from the top of the fret, because frets themselves vary so much in height, and usually at the 12th or 24th fret.

6mm is about a quarter of an inch, and if that's from the top of the fret, yes, I'd say that's high. Carvin used to guarantee action "as low as 1/16th" at the 24th fret, with no buzzing frets." That was more a testament to the quality of their fretwork than a suggestion for action placement. Most folks work around 4/64ths - 5/64ths at the 12th fret -- setting the action that low at the 24th fret is pretty darned good.
The key point is that its the method that I use. A precise measurement in the eyes of some is excessively anal. Everyones hands are different. Everyone plays just that little bit different to the next guy as well. 6mm may be too high to suit you, (I didnt go and measure the bloody thing, it is uniform on all strings though....) but it suits me just fine. To each their own I say.
Relief and action should always be set to personal preference. I, for instance,prefer small relief (about 0.3mm) and medium-high action (2.32mm -2.64mm at the 12th fret from bottom of the strings to the top of the fret). This enables me to play anything from shred to slide.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone