So I recently started playing again after a year hiatus and I just realized that after a drink or two I am able to play songs more accurately, smoothly and even faster without getting stiff or fatigued, why?
well, after maybe a drink or two (basically a minor buzz), youve basically gotten to the perfect point for musical, or any kind of performance; your motor skills and reaction time arent impaired, but a small amount of alcohol relaxes your nervous system. basically, you relax in a way that isnt too much, but yet you overcome your mental stresses

long story short, youre "drunk" enough to overcome even the most sub-conscious mental pressures of "that hard part" or "not screwing up", without impairing your actual physical ability

fyi, ive been on said level as ive been typing this whole thing. by all means, go ahead and tell me if i seemed drunk or inarticulate at any time. i promise you, a small buzz is your friend (unless youre a singer/screamer, in which case alcohol is your worst enemy)
Last edited by pAWNlol at Nov 8, 2013,
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that you aren't actually playing any better, but it sounds better to you because the drink is relaxing and you aren't in the kind of state of mind where you're criticizing everything you do.

I've never heard someone recorded who has sounded better drunk than sober.
Quote by Geldin
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that you aren't actually playing any better, but it sounds better to you because the drink is relaxing and you aren't in the kind of state of mind where you're criticizing everything you do.

well, if he actually meant drunk then definitely no, nobody does anything better full-out drunk other than make an idiot of themselves. but he said "a drink or two", which tells me he isnt drunk, but rather buzzed. i can personally vouch that i KNOW i (as well as other people) do a lot of things better buzzed
Again, alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. The only thing alcohol makes you better at is not giving a fuck (and, in sufficient quantities, vomiting profusely), which is precisely why people think they sound better after drinking.
Quote by Geldin
Again, alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. The only thing alcohol makes you better at is not giving a fuck (and, in sufficient quantities, vomiting profusely), which is precisely why people think they sound better after drinking.

well thats my point. in very small quantities, you overcome the self-inflicted fears and stresses. obviously theres a very fine line of when alcohol becomes a hindrance, but in small amounts if can help relax and not even worry about the hard parts. hell, even before i started drinking, i did my best when i was in the middle of a song and i wasnt even thinking about trying to play perfectly. its when i worry about it that i mess up more

essentially, its another case of mind over matter
A few drinks does not classify as being drunk unless you're an ultra light weight. I mean a few drinks to me is almost the same as drinking a can of coke. And I'm by no means an alchy, I know people who drink four times as much and still are not "drunk". If you want a scientific answer then I would state that a few drinks are probably just calming any stress and that's going to help anyone play better.

As for being properly drunk. I know when I am in actual fact on the verge of being drunk I play and do anything pretty much like a total wanker. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I think most people think they're doing something better than they are actually doing it whilst truly under the influence. This includes walking, dancing, eating, and chatting up women. Many times I have wondered why I haven't gotten anywhere with a certain girl on an evening, even after she has said point blank to my face "have you been drinking?". Of course in my mind at the time I was the epitome of being a sex god who just downed three liters of alchohol like a pro and still retained all my faculties. But probably in her eyes I was just a pissed up drunk tard with slurred speech.

It's probably best to record yourself and play the recording back just to make sure your improvement is not all in your mind.
Last edited by kingking22 at Nov 9, 2013,
If you're drunk, I guarantee you don't sound better.

If you've had one or two beers, though, you're probably just more relaxed. Most of the time, playing something decently only happens when you forget that you suck and stop thinking about your limitations.

That said, if you have trouble playing something normally, you're probably not playing it any "better" after drinking, so much as you're just playing through the mistakes instead of letting them hang you up. Of course, if you go beyond "relaxation" drinking, you will get sloppy and inattentive.

Definitely do NOT rely on alcohol to make you sound decent. Gotta get sounding good first.

Quote by Geldin

I'd put money down that you'd never had a drink before.

Do you have any idea how many of your favorite guitar solos were recorded while the player was shitfaced or completely baked?
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 9, 2013,
Quote by Geldin

^ This.

I've noticed the same effect myself OP - I'm not actually playing any better though (usually worse), I just can't hear as many mistakes as before.

As for the players who recorded famous solos when shitfaced... No one's saying you can't play drunk (or even play well drunk), but there is no logical reason that someone will play better drunk. Especially shitfaced.

I imagine these players sound a lot better sober. Studio magic is also relevant here.
Quote by pAWNlol
im just going to sum it up basically:

drunk=no bueno

tiny buzz=bueno

/endthread

Pretty much it lol.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The first post hit the nail on the head. I play pool as well as guitar, and if I've had a FEW drinks I perform a lot better, and it's only because when I'm sober I psych myself out and make new guy mistakes, couple beers in and I'm making the shots I should be making and hitting all the notes I should be hitting. There is a fine line though, a few more after a few drinks makes for a sloppy performance.