MistaSnowman
Play it LOUD!!!
346 IQ
Although I like my POD HD500, there is always that part of me that yearns for a small tube amp! I'd prefer one that has an emulated output, but before I get into asking about opinions about various Blackstar combos, Egnater Rebel 30's/Renegades, and the like...if I keep my POD, has anyone had any experience with one of these below??? It's a Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

dspellman
1,110 IQ
The DT25 is (mostly) a tube amp.

The Tech 21s are pretty popular. I haven't played with one much, but know several folks who swear by them.

I have three early Atomic Reactors. These were designed specifically for modelers like the Pod XT/HD beans. Essentially, they're powered speakers like the Tech 21s. The 112-18 is a largish cabinet (about the size of a 2x12) with a single 200W Eminence speaker (some special design) that offers fairly flat response over a fairly wide frequency range. The amp is an 18W EL-84 based tube amp that's pretty clean. There are two 50W versions, a 112 and a 2x12. The amp is a 6L6-powered amp and the 112-50 differs from the 112-18 in that it's a ported cabinet. The 212 (I have one of those, too) is seriously big -- about four inches short of a 4x12, it has two serious ports. All are closed back, of course.

The Pod (or the Vox or Behringer or M-Audio modelers) fit into a hot-swappable bay that makes all the appropriate connections once the modeler is mounted into the bay. Drop it in and you have, essentially, a combo amp that features a modeler as a preamp. You can also use a floor model (there's an FX loop; just plug the modeler into the FX loop return). And finally, there are outlets that allow you to use a pair of these as a stereo setup. Since the X3 and HD allow dual rigs at once, you can actually pan one rig right and the other left and have each speaker outputting a different rig.

Google them.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 9, 2013,
MistaSnowman
Play it LOUD!!!
346 IQ
Thank you for the reply (and the tip)! I'll have to check out the Atomic Reactor!

About the DT-25, you say that it is 'mostly' a tube amp. What doesn't make it a tube amp, I'm curious?
Last edited by MistaSnowman at Nov 9, 2013,