Page 1 of 4
I'm just talking single songs, not albums or multiple movements works as a whole, but what are some just single songs that you think are masterpieces?

And by masterpieces, I'm thinking in terms of some type of programmatic sense to the track, like build-ups, contrast, lots of variation, that display a very high level of skill and artistry. There's a lot of music that I just love, but I wouldn't use the term masterpieces to describe it.

Even though this is a cliche track from his discography, Windowlicker is imo the best thing Aphex Twin has ever done (and probably will ever do). The percussion, harmonies, insane attention to the tiniest details, and then the complete change in instrumentation at the end, while playing the same theme in half time, I wouldn't change a single thing about the track. It's beautifully produced, very well-written, it moves well between each section, and is just really creative and original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8sZXFN6jc
For a stealth game this was so perfect for the mood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzhjG6OkvI

I think they even went further and released like some huge thing for the soundtrack alone just because it was so masterful at capturing the stealth feel of the game.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Nov 8, 2013,

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Up to the D Major section learning that piece on guitar.

No offense Xixi, but those chord arpeggiations sound 10X more beautiful on guitar.

http://youtu.be/D-mh4yEhO3M?t=4m37s
Quote by Andrea55
Silent Hill 2

Thats another game that had music that captured the whole atmosphere perfectly.
Quote by bradulator

You have my sincerest condolences.

k thnx for your opinion brad, we all know how much value that carries.

banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
k thnx for your opinion brad, we all know how much value that carries.

K go listen to your hour long song of the same thing over again and pretend like it's masterful
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
K go listen to your hour long song of the same thing over again and pretend like it's masterful

okay, I will
banned
As prog head, I think Colors from btbam as a masterpiece and yes, I see it as a song. Also, Selkies.

When all is lost from Symphony X.

A lot of songs from Porcupine Tree including Anesthesia, Arriving Somewhere but not here, Deadwing, Lazarus, Trains, etc etc...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Hard question, I'll try to post something later. probably have something to do with mars volta.
Quote by The Madcap

No offense Xixi, but those chord arpeggiations sound 10X more beautiful on guitar.

I don't think so. It takes away the intensity and the micro rhythms that are happening in the bowing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't think so. It takes away the intensity and the micro rhythms that are happening in the bowing.
Fair enough but you get to hear the notes harmonize and the voices move and all that stuff.
Octavarium by Dream Theater. Still the best song written in the 21st century imo
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by The Madcap
Fair enough but you get to hear the notes harmonize and the voices move and all that stuff.

I guess you can hear the individual voices better overall but meh

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TheChaz
*Stan video*

I used to really like this song, but ever since I noticed the hilarious keyboard cuica sound on every other + of 4 I can't take it seriously anymore.
Check out my band Disturbed
Page 1 of 4