I was in my local guitar centre today and I played both the Fender Corando and the Grestch G5422TDC. I thought the Grestch was a much better instrument and I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to buy it. Just want to know if anyone has played one/ owns one and if they can they can tell me there experiences with it. Thanks
Quote by nmcintyre2
I was in my local guitar centre today and I played both the Fender Corando and the Grestch G5422TDC. I thought the Grestch was a much better instrument and I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to buy it. Just want to know if anyone has played one/ owns one and if they can they can tell me there experiences with it. Thanks

I have two Gretsches -- an ancient Synchromatic due for a restoration and a singlecut that's *very* close to the mate of what you're looking at. But both were built well before Gretsch became an Asian-sourced subsidiary of an American conglomerate. What I've seen of the new ones looks good, however. I've played one (just one) briefly in a store and I've been surprised at how well it was done.

I've never cared for the Coronado, honestly, and I'm not altogether sure why. I've had opportunities to buy the originals dirt cheap and have never pulled the trigger.

I think you can go with your 95% gut feeling and be confident in the outcome.
I've never played that Fender, but the Gretsch you tried is at the top of my "Must Own One Some Day" list.

I've owned a few of Gretsch's other Electromatics over the years and always been pleased with them, and I've played a few of those semi's in shops and always wanted one, but the last two times I almost bought one I went with a Gibson instead. Maybe next time....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have that same guitar. It's fantastic. Surpringly well built. I really can't fault it. Pickups really great. Especially for stock pickups. They will be staying. The bigsby is very nice. I actually prefer it to the B7 I used to have on my Les Paul. I'm selling my Gretsch though. Hard times and it doesn't get played that much. I would definitely recommend one though. The neck can't even begin to fathom how amazing a White Falcon would be when the quality, sound and playability of this instrument is so good.
Quote by dspellman
I have two Gretsches -- an ancient Synchromatic due for a restoration and a singlecut that's *very* close to the mate of what you're looking at. But both were built well before Gretsch became an Asian-sourced subsidiary of an American conglomerate. What I've seen of the new ones looks good, however. I've played one (just one) briefly in a store and I've been surprised at how well it was done.

Gretsch licensed guitar manufacturing and distribution to FMIC after decades building shoddy guitars had almost killed the brand. Get your history right.
Have you tried the Thinline Cabronita? It has very similar specs to the Coronado and it's the same price. It's MIM instead of MIC so the quality is likely better.