Has anyone had any experience with a comparison between JJ power tubes (el34) and the SED Winged C's? Going to be going into the studio soon and was thinking about upgrading the power section for the session. And, I dont have any spare power tubes in case they go out, so i can still keep the JJ's as spares. They're old, but still seem to be working just fine. Also, anyone have any recommendations for a brand of pre-amp tubes? Thinking about experimenting there as well...thanks.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
SED are great, deff better than the JJ's. I have SED's in my Marshall, sound great

NOS JAN-GE/Phillips 5751 are great tubes with a little less gain than a 12ax7

The new Mullard 12ax7 are great in V1 of a Marshall-ish type amp

Sovtek 12ax7LPS are great for the PI position

JJ Ecc803 are nice also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I tend to prefer JJs in a high-mid oriented amp (most Marshalls), whereas the Winged C sound best in lower mid. Not to say that the =C= won't work in a Marshall, etc, but I feel like each one lends itself to balancing out certain things.

I'd go =C= in the Uberschall, for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have SED =C= in my Splawn now (marshallisc) and they are killer. I had Mullard RI in there before which were great too - maybe a bit mellow/dark. I think the =C= are worth it but man o man they are expensive. I pretty much agree with what Rob and Matrix are saying. If you are recording and can afford better tubes for your Uber get the =C=. Then get some NOS preamp tubes. RCA, Phillips, Telefunken, etc. JJ's in the pre are almost always a good bet. I do like the JAN Phillips 5751 for the PI or V1.

I'm going JJ EL34Ls for power next time for that lower mid grind I love so much
awesome, thanks for the help guys. We've got a few months yet...still doing pre-production, but that'll give me enough time to save the cash and get em dialed in before studio time.

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Haha, will do.

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm going JJ EL34Ls for power next time for that lower mid grind I love so much

You know I bought a set of the E34L about 4 months ago to have as a spare set for my Marshall. I still havent touched them because the SED's are just fine for now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I (we) would be curious as to your observations. You should pop them in real quick. And/or give us a blind recording test to see if we can hear any difference

v I want a Zoom recorder too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 10, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I (we) would be curious as to your observations. You should pop them in real quick. And/or give us a blind recording test to see if we can hear any difference

I will try, but it may be a week or so. I have no recording software, but I am buying a zoom Q2 in the next week or 2 and I will gladly do one then.

I'll do it on the classic channel with the gain dimed and use the volume (ala Plexi type power tube distortion).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate