I just picked up 2 eminence speakers to go into my newly aquired avatar 2x12. I got a 16ohm 75watt eminence governor and a 16ohm 50 watt eminence cannabis rex. My question is this, does it matter which speaker goes where in the cabinet? Will it make any difference having one on the left and the other on the right? Can I just throw them in without worrying about placement?
it does not matter
make sure to wire it for the correct impedance.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

make sure to wire it for the correct impedance.

They are both 16 ohms, if they are wired parallel this should just give me an 8 ohm load, which would be best for running with another 16 ohm cab, correct?
if they're at the exact same height in the cab then it shouldn't matter, no.

some (often more compact) cabs have the speakers at different heights, so sometimes it might sound slightly different with one speaker lower than with the other one. I'd normally put the bassier speaker lower, no idea if that's based on anything other than superstition.

But yeah as robb implied, you can overthink it. It won't do any harm, anyway, you can put them in either position.

EDIT: ^ yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my next question is this, i have a black and white cable coming from the jack to go to the first speaker, and then a red and black one to connect from speaker A to speaker B. Which cable coming from the input jack is positive and which is negative, the black or white?
if you look on the speaker terminals (the bit the wire attaches to) there's normally a + sign next to one of them (there's sometimes a - sign next to the other one, too, so look closely ). It might be hard to make out, but it's normally there.

which reminds me, make a note of what attaches where before you remove the old speakers. A digital photo is a pretty handy way to do it. I normally make a note on pen and paper too though because i'm paranoid.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there are no markings, just a black cable connected to the left terminal on the input jack, and a white on the right.
ah

this is getting beyond my pay grade.

Is gumbi about?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the speakers are labeled, the cables attached to the input jack are not. theyre just black and white
Tip goes to the positive terminal by convention. Usually that's the white wire but it's worth checking for yourself otherwise you could end up out of phase with the second cab.

If you connect a 16 ohm cab to an 8 ohm cab you get a total impedance of 5 ohms. So you'd have to run the amp at 4 ohm with both cabs. What is this second 16 ohm cab of which you speak? There are some tricks depending on what you are doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Plug a cable into the input. The part that touches the tip is positive.
Quote by Cathbard
Tip goes to the positive terminal by convention. Usually that's the white wire but it's worth checking for yourself otherwise you could end up out of phase with the second cab.

If you connect a 16 ohm cab to an 8 ohm cab you get a total impedance of 5 ohms. So you'd have to run the amp at 4 ohm with both cabs. What is this second 16 ohm cab of which you speak? There are some tricks depending on what you are doing.

They're both 16 ohms...no 8ohm cab involved. So this should be fine??? On another note, I got the cab wired, the white wire WAS the positive/hot. I have a question though, when i first when about it, I wired the black wire to the positive instead of the white, and plugged my amp in to try it out, everything seemed to be working fine, but just to be sure I texted the guy who sold the cab to me asking which wire was the positive and he said the white one was. I quickly wired it correctly and didn't really notice any difference. My question then is, what would have happened if I had kept the black wire connected to the positive and the positive to the negative?
the speaker would move inward when its meant to go outward and visa versa
Quote by 7thString
the speaker would move inward when its meant to go outward and visa versa

.....are you serious?
^he's serious
Quote by letsgetcokes
does it matter which speaker goes where in the cabinet?

not really. i run my 2x12 cabinets vertical and i also tend to put the bass heavy speaker on the bottom (low end is less directional). so there are reasons to place speakers in particular ways but that is more about esoteric tweaking and 'tone bullshit'.

Quote by letsgetcokes
Will it make any difference having one on the left and the other on the right? Can I just throw them in without worrying about placement?

yes, you can just choose not to worry about it. it won't really matter.

Quote by letsgetcokes
They are both 16 ohms, if they are wired parallel this should just give me an 8 ohm load, which would be best for running with another 16 ohm cab, correct?

i feel like i may be missing something here.

two 16 ohm speakers in parallel is a recipe for an 8 ohm cabinet. do you have another 2x12 with 16 ohm speakers in it?

it would not be best to run this new 8 ohm cabinet you have with a 16 ohm cabinet, you'll come up with an odd impedance and the 8 ohm cab would be louder

Quote by letsgetcokes
They're both 16 ohms...no 8ohm cab involved. So this should be fine???

once again, i think i am missing something. you just wired up an 8 ohm cabinet right? it would be best to run that 8 ohm cabinet with another 8 ohm cabinet (if using one amp).

Quote by letsgetcokes
My question then is, what would have happened if I had kept the black wire connected to the positive and the positive to the negative?

you are just reversing polarity of the speaker. the signal getting feed to the amp makes the speaker move back and forth. let's say positive pushes the speaker forward and negative moves the speaker backwards (this is not technically accurate, but it describes what is going on with a bunch of detail)

so switching the wires would just cause the speaker to move 'backwards' or reverse of what it would move normally. this really isn't a big deal as long as both speakers are hooked the same way. but if you had a 2x12 with one speaker set up with one polarity and the other speaker set opposite then some serious signal cancellation occurs between the speakers.

also complex speaker arrays use different polarities for their speakers for desired effects.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 12, 2013,
Ok, so because i wired the 2 16 ohm speakers parallel they are 8 ohms. Got it. So if I wired them in a series the cabs impedance would be 32 ohms?
This would also mean that the speakers in my 16 ohm 4x12 cab are most likely 4 ohm speakers?
Quote by letsgetcokes
Ok, so because i wired the 2 16 ohm speakers parallel they are 8 ohms. Got it. So if I wired them in a series the cabs impedance would be 32 ohms?

yup

Quote by letsgetcokes
This would also mean that the speakers in my 16 ohm 4x12 cab are most likely 4 ohm speakers?

oic, you have a 16 ohm 4x12 as well. cabinets with four speakers in them tend to be wired in one of two ways:

-parallel: this is popular for bass cabs but is not often used in guitar cabs. generally the cabs is just wired with four 16 ohm speakers in parallel to make a 4 ohm cab.

-series parallel: some combination of series and parallel wiring. two sets of speakers are wired one way (let's say series) and the other set of speakers in wired the other way (parallel). this would maintain speaker impedance. so a 16 ohm cab would have 16 ohm speakers in it.

your guitar cab is most likely wired in series-parallel.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
well...damn. I may have messed up a bit then. I am definitely debating selling my 16ohm 4x12 cab (just because i want something different) but the reason i got the 16ohm speakers was because i got a really good deal on an unloaded 2x12 and thought that by simply getting 2 16ohm speakers to go into it, I would have 2 cabs I could run together without having an odd ohm load. Now i actually understand it a bit, and am realizing i may have screwed myself on that. I thought that you just divided the ohm load when using multiple cabs from parallel outs, and now im seeing that when the speakers themselves are wired parallel this divides the load as well. UGHHHHHHH.