So basically I've grown dissatisfied with my 'C6-modded' Boss SD-1, therefore I sold it, as well as my Whammy IV which I was fun to play around with at first, but I've realised that I'm not Tom Morello and other than playing the Killing In The Name or Like A Stone Solo, I really had no use for it.

Quest for the new OD:
  • better bypass (the SD-1 is a tone sucker, it really made the tone quite dull)
  • more tonal flexibility (optional)

The contenders:
  • Maxon OD-808
  • MXR GT-OD
  • MXR Custom Badass Modified OD
  • Hotone Grass
  • Blackstar LT Boost
  • Vox Ice 9
  • VFE Pale Horse

And last but not least the winner:

Hardwire CM2 Tube Overdrive.

Does the job - boosting my SL-X - very well.
Compared to the SD-1 it just sounds much better, clearer, gives the amp more balls, has WAY more output to boost the amp and is way more flexible with the high/low controls, as well as the classic/modified switch.
Speaking of that switch, the difference might be more apparent when using the pedal as a stand-alone OD or adding to a slightly overdrive tone, but to me it sounds like the classic mode is a bit more middy, while the modified widens the tone quite a bit with a more mid-scoop-ish EQ.
Personally I like the classic-mode better so far, at least for what I do.
As already mentioned, the volume-boost is huge, I only need it about 1 o'clock, where I needed the SD-1 at almost full blast for the same effect.
The bass-knob is a great addition, so you can set up how much of a bass boost or cut you want.
Last nice thing about it is the true bypass, doesn't mess with my tone as the SD-1 did and that's great.

Overall a great sounding pedal, built like a tank, good value, do recommend!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Nov 9, 2013,
Nice! Coincidentally I'm going to get one of these just to have (I sold my SD-1 the other day).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The hardware stuff is pretty solid. Have fun with it!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Nice, I've heard good things about this one. I know it's meant to be a "better" bad monkey, and I even like the bad monkey quite a bit.

Was looking forward to this after your teasing in your other thread
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good choice. HNPD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice, I've heard good things about this one. I know it's meant to be a "better" bad monkey, and I even like the bad monkey quite a bit.

Was looking forward to this after your teasing in your other thread

Well, a 'better' Bad Monkey seems to be all I wanted.

Other than that if you're using these TS/SD-1-style pedals I think there isn't that much of a difference to justify spending more than 100€.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Does the CM stand for Crazy Monkey?
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
The Hardwire series are pretty impressive from what I've heard. I like how they have both flexibility and quality to the tone of their pedals.
Nice buy.
I loved my CM2. I also boosted my SL-X with it. Very nice sound.

HNPD dude, enjoy!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I loved my CM2. I also boosted my SL-X with it. Very nice sound.

HNPD dude, enjoy!

'Nice' isn't exactly a term I'd describe an SL-X' tone with.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, a 'better' Bad Monkey seems to be all I wanted.

Other than that if you're using these TS/SD-1-style pedals I think there isn't that much of a difference to justify spending more than 100€.

that's my feeling too (though admittedly I haven't tried any of the really expensive ones much as a boost )

plus a lot of the boutique ts-types have tweaks to make them work better as a standalone od. If you're just using it as a boost it's fine as-is, if you ask me, for most situations.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's my feeling too (though admittedly I haven't tried any of the really expensive ones much as a boost )

plus a lot of the boutique ts-types have tweaks to make them work better as a standalone od. If you're just using it as a boost it's fine as-is, if you ask me, for most situations.

Well, the VFE for example had high/bass-cut knobs, which are useful if you're using it as a boost, but in the end the Hardwire or a Bad Monkey can do kind of the same for less than half the price.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
yeah i was actually going to make that point but was too lazy as you said, the two most useful mods (adding back in the bass and/or making the mid hump a bit less prominent) are available on off-the-shelf not-boutique pedals.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp
'Nice' isn't exactly a term I'd describe an SL-X' tone with.

Ah you know what I mean

I used the CM2 with a slight push to the bass frequencies (my cab I used was loaded with Screamin' Eagles) and that really had the Marshall singing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.