Page 1 of 2
Hey UG!
I'm in the market for a hi-gain amp atm. I live in Denmark (Europe). I play an ESP Eclipse 1 with active emgs 81/60. My budget is around 1500 dollars. I plan to buy a cab with vintage 30's, all though that i another discussion.
Some band's tones that I like (tones, dont start flame war):
- Avenged Sevenfold (as far as I know, the guy who did Synesters amp also designed the 5150)
- Bring Me The Horizon (Uses Orange Rockerverb I believe)
- Slipknot (Rockerverb as well (Jim does anyway))
- Bullet For My Valentine (5150)
- Asking Alexandria (5150)
- System of A Down (Marshall MF's I think, though I couldnt find anything specific on what Daron uses)
- Metallica (Mesa/Boogie Rectifiers/Marks I think?)

I like that the Rockerverb has a very good clean channel, and has the obvious potential for hi-gain, while being a bit less generic sounding.
The 5150's clean sucks as far as I know, but man the distortion does sound good.
And the rectifier.. Well, I played a mini rec and did love it, but it has about a 100% mark up in price compared to the USA, so I decided to look somewhere else..

The 4 amps I think might be the one (with prices)
- Orange Rockerverb 50. Right now there's a used 2x12 combo version for 1200 bucks. Would prefer a stack though.
- Peavey 5150 - There's one for 900 bucks pretty close to me. Not sure if that's a bit too expensive though, as I've seen people saying they bought these for 400 and less?
- Orange Dark Terror. No clean channel, but transportable and supposedly sounds very good. 550 bucks.
- Mini Rectifier - 1600 bucks...

I should mention, that I play in a metal band with a live drummer, wthout a PA.

My main questions are:
Combo vs stack (considering the rockerverb)?
Peavey price? Too high?
Rockerverb for metal?
Other suggestions for amps?

Thanks for reading x)
I'd probably get a 5150/6505. It's the fairly safe choice. That's not to say you might not prefer something else.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can get a used 5150/6505 in the USA for $400 if you get lucky, in Europe they will cost more.
The 5150 II/6505+ has a better clean channel than the regular series.

You may want to look at the new EVH 5150 III mini, good cleans and great drive channels
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Foldageren
What if you also took the price into consideration?

I'm not too sure about used prices, but yeah peaveys aren't the best value in europe. That being said, mesa is even worse

so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But really, twice as much in Europe? Also the EVH mini isnt avalible here in Denmark
They have them at www.thomann.de for <€1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd probably get a 5150/6505. It's the fairly safe choice. That's not to say you might not prefer something else.

This!

I love mine. And it was pretty cheap (for what you get). Well worth it imo.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Foldageren

Other suggestions for amps?

Have you taken a look at the ENGL line of amps? You can get Engl from Thomann Denmark.
Robb:
I cant find the mini on there? :x

Fallen:
I like it too, but is it worth getting here in Europe with the markup? He did say it was hand built in America though (idk if that changes the price somehow)

Blackfire:
Yes! I was considering the Gigmaster, and theres a used on up for about 450 bucks, with the footswitch (costs about a 100). But I haven't played it, and probably can't before buying, so I figured I'd stick the the 5150/rockerverb :=)
Best thing to do is to actually try them all and then decide.

Although if you're just using them at home, you're better off with a 6505 combo or something.
RIP Tom Searle.
The 5150 III 50 watt (mini) is on there, I looked it up before I posted. Now I think they are currently waiting on new stock until they will ship them. Might be worth calling/e-mailing them to find out for sure. I think the price was 966 euros
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have tried the Mini Rec, Rockerverb and 5150! The 5150 has a better heavy rhythm than the rockerverb, but the rockerverb is less generic and has a clean channel, and the mark up on oranges is not really an issue in europe. I gave up on the recto, as nice as it was, Im not spending that much on a MINI rec...

50 watt is mini? Haha, the more you know, I did see it then. 966 euros is still about 1/3 more than the used 5150, but I guess the transportability would be nice. I havent tried the 5150 III, how does it stack up to the origional?
The 5150 III is a better overall amp than the 5150/5150 II (6505/6505+) series. The gain structure may not be as brutal/aggressive as the Peavey versions, but the 5150 III is no slouch at all.

If you want straight raw brutality the 5150/5150 II might be the better choice, but If you want good cleans and gain the 5150 III has it in spades.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Foldageren
Robb:
I cant find the mini on there? :x

Fallen:
I like it too, but is it worth getting here in Europe with the markup? He did say it was hand built in America though (idk if that changes the price somehow)

Blackfire:
Yes! I was considering the Gigmaster, and theres a used on up for about 450 bucks, with the footswitch (costs about a 100). But I haven't played it, and probably can't before buying, so I figured I'd stick the the 5150/rockerverb :=)

Take a look at the Engl Fireball 60, or the Ironball 20.

Also if you get the 5150 III mini, when you switch from channel 1 to channel 2 there's a big jump in volume. For some it's a deal breaker(100watt version doesn't do it). You will need to modify it to get rid of it, so if you buy new it may void your warranty.
Quote by Blackfire.
Take a look at the Engl Fireball 60, or the Ironball 20.

Also if you get the 5150 III mini, when you switch from channel 1 to channel 2 there's a big jump in volume. For some it's a deal breaker(100watt version doesn't do it). You will need to modify it to get rid of it, so if you buy new it may void your warranty.

Yeah, the volume jump can be an issue, but if you use a MIDI switch with the amp, the volume spike is not there.

And good point, The 5150 III is 3 channels the others are only 2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, the volume jump can be an issue, but if you use a MIDI switch with the amp, the volume spike is not there.

And good point, The 5150 III is 3 channels the others are only 2

No doubt it's a good amp. Just better for him to find out about this before he purchases, and can factor in the price of a midi setup if he doesn't use them or decide if he would want to use one.
The Peavey works, but I wouldn't recommend. They have really mushy distortion and there's not enough low end tightness for what I think you're looking for.

The Mesa stuff works really well but it's a bit overpriced in my mind and definitely out of your price range.

In my opinion, the Orange Rockerverb works best for what you're asking about. It's a very aggressive amp with definite high gain stuff that really works well for anything you'd need. It's a phenomenal amp.

If you're open to other suggestions, the Engl Fireball has a lot of low end tightness and high gain at a decent price if you look used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osCOjDwbhyM

But if I were to recommend any one amp to you, it would hands down be the Bugera Trirec. That thing can do everything a Mesa can and more. It's based on the Triple Rectifier, but it has as much power and aggression as you would get out of the Orange. Plus, this would get you much more versatility in tone than any of the other amps listed, at a price tag of about $999.99, NEW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDAh7-blGo

So that'd be my number one suggestion, number two being the Orange and number three the Fireball.

Hope I could help!!
I'd also like to mention that with the Bugera, you have $500 left over to buy a decent used cab. Cheers!
^and a fire extinguisher.

I kid.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
OLA is great, he pops up on here every once in a while. his videos are awesome, but his extremely aggressive playing style and typical 7 string/drop tuned can be deceiving.

here is an MG (DO NOT BUY ONE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9oMgWXC3g

but i wouldn't be as trusting his clips to sound the way it will to your ears. he is a great musician and a good guy, and is very talented, but his videos can be deceiving.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gibson52198
The Peavey works, but I wouldn't recommend. They have really mushy distortion and there's not enough low end tightness for what I think you're looking for.

The Mesa stuff works really well but it's a bit overpriced in my mind and definitely out of your price range.

In my opinion, the Orange Rockerverb works best for what you're asking about. It's a very aggressive amp with definite high gain stuff that really works well for anything you'd need. It's a phenomenal amp.

If you're open to other suggestions, the Engl Fireball has a lot of low end tightness and high gain at a decent price if you look used.

But if I were to recommend any one amp to you, it would hands down be the Bugera Trirec. That thing can do everything a Mesa can and more. It's based on the Triple Rectifier, but it has as much power and aggression as you would get out of the Orange. Plus, this would get you much more versatility in tone than any of the other amps listed, at a price tag of about $999.99, NEW.

So that'd be my number one suggestion, number two being the Orange and number three the Fireball.

Hope I could help!!

You gotta be kidding me.

The Peavey 5150 is not tight enough? It is the tightest amp you listed, way tighter than a Mesa, Engl or Orange

And WTF is the Bugera mention, its better that what it is ripping off? I don't think so, how about it is a decent sounding amp made with cheap parts that a serious musician should never get because of (very large) possibility of break-downs happen.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 11, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You gotta be kidding me.

The Peavey 5150 is not tight enough? It is the tightest amp you listed, way tighter than a Mesa, Engl or Orange

And WTF is the Bugera mention, its better that what it is ripping off? I don't think so, how about it is a decent sounding amp made with cheap parts that a serious musician should never get because of (very large) possibility of break-downs happen.

+3.1415

bugera rec over MESA? bang your head against the wall harder next time

FYI i have a markIV and tremoverb in the adjacent room, bugeras don't sound like that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There's a guy with a Orange 50 watt mkI combo for 1100 dollars, what do you guys think? I'd prefer the stack version, but at 1100 bucks, I think that's a fairly good deal. Is there any real difference between the rockerverb combo and the stack?
Basicly, my situation right now is, either a 5150 for 950 dollars, but with no cab, or the rockerverb combo for 1100 bucks. Thoughts?
I'd take the 5150 and get a Harley Benton 2X12 (with the V30's in it) It should be about the same price as the rockerverb.

They're both good amps however, I'd trust your ears on this one.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Any more takes? Rockerverb combo 2x12 or 5150 head? Rockerverb price is 1100, 5150 is 950.
Rockerverb. I hated Peavey; I don't know how people use those things.

And I never said it was better than a Mesa, I just said for $1000 less, it sounds unbelievable.

The Rockerberb is more towards the BMTH breakdown tone (they use those live and in the studio I think) and you'll really get more versatility out of it.
Even out of the combo? I hear a lot of people talking shit about comboes, saying that the sound vibration shorten the tube life, and even make the thing sound worse... Thoughts?
Quote by Blackfire.
Those Bugera are magic! They can turn into a Orange Fireball...

Quote by gibson52198

Opinions vary of course, but given that it's probably the most common high gain amplifier used professionally worldwide, I'm guessing that your opinion of it's shortcomings may be a bit biased...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Nov 11, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blackfire.

I should have bought one of those instead of the Engl I just picked up!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Robbgnarly
You gotta be kidding me.

+311

You beat me to it. Not sure how someone can characterize the 5150 as being mushy and then recommend a Dual Rec, Rockerverb, Fireball and Bugera?
Quote by gibson52198

And I never said it was better than a Mesa, I just said for $1000 less, it sounds unbelievable.

The Rockerberb is more towards the BMTH breakdown tone (they use those live and in the studio I think) and you'll really get more versatility out of it.

Just because you don't like the way an amp sounds doesn't mean that is the way everyone feel's about it. I'm not a huge 5150 fan, but fact is they are killer amps if you want a tight, agressive, modern metal sound.

I can get a Mesa Single Recto used for $600-$700 thats cheaper than the Bugera and way more reliable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Would the combo 50 watts be just as good as a stack, assuming I got the same opeb back cab for the stack? Would that be as good for metal? :p
normally closed back is used for metal, but other than that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Foldageren
Would the combo 50 watts be just as good as a stack, assuming I got the same opeb back cab for the stack? Would that be as good for metal? :p

If you bought the head and openback 2x12 it would sound almost identical to the combo (if the combo is openback). It will sound diffrent than a closed back cab and closed back cabs are more associated with heavier styles of music
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2