to play comfortably sitting down. My right shoulder always aches after a while, i posted this before and tried the tips people gave but nothing helped.

I can't just practice standing up for hours on end forever can i? ):
This is a strange problem. Is there any chance you are just sitting weird? I've never heard of this problem. But I would look into proper playing position first.
Quote by rybread3
This is a strange problem. Is there any chance you are just sitting weird? I've never heard of this problem. But I would look into proper playing position first.

Believe me i've looked over countless posture videos (especially freepowers ones) and nothing seems to help, after 10 minutes of so i just have this constant ache my right shoulder ):
That is a weird problem, for sure. What have you noticed changes when you are standing and playing?
I have long arms too, my elbow dips low, you need to relax that shoulder, mine would *shrug* up when I was playing.
Quote by rybread3
That is a weird problem, for sure. What have you noticed changes when you are standing and playing?

well i have to have my guitar strap really low so that my picking hand rests in a comfortable position over the strings when i stand up.
Quote by Valience
I have long arms too, my elbow dips low, you need to relax that shoulder, mine would *shrug* up when I was playing.

yeah mine does the shrugging thing, but if i relax it then my hand will be way to low no matter how much i dip my elbow
Prop up your left foot and put the guitar on your left leg, with the headstock of the guitar at above shoulder height.
Wait, are we talking electric or acoustic here? (i.e dread size or a solid body electric?)

On my acoustic it's fine; On my electric I do get the same problem as you, but I tend play with the electric further out of my body (away from the front chest and more to the side) with a straight posture so I'm not hunched. The neck is further out on a diagonalish line.
The strap being really low can create wrist problems. What type of guitar are you playing? Maybe you have a child's version.
I guarantee that your problem is that you are playing in the casual position. That is having your guitar on your right leg (if you're playing right handed, which I'm assuming you are) with the body of the guitar kind of tucked in under your arm and the headstock quite far away from your body. You should try classical position. Rest the guitar on your left leg, elevate your left leg slightly, and angle the neck up so the headstock is about level with your shoulder.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
yes...play standing.....honestly it´s better for you than sitting slouched over in a chair.....and then you wont have to repost in a few months stating that your playing gets sloppy at gigs ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Junior#1
I guarantee that your problem is that you are playing in the casual position. That is having your guitar on your right leg (if you're playing right handed, which I'm assuming you are) with the body of the guitar kind of tucked in under your arm and the headstock quite far away from your body. You should try classical position. Rest the guitar on your left leg, elevate your left leg slightly, and angle the neck up so the headstock is about level with your shoulder.

This. Definitely this. If I can play fine while sitting then I'm damn sure anyone else can; I'm not exactly small.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+1 on classical posture. I am a big guy with bulky shoulders and long arms and casual/western posture was just murder for my right shoulder. No matter how much I moved around and tried to find the sweet spot I never could get it right. It was always either tension and pain in my shoulder or having the hand in wrong place for picking.

Switched over to classical posture (guitar on left leg, neck pointing up about 45 degree angle) and those problems went away.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 10, 2013,
what type of guitar is it? the "casual" position works fine with some guitar shapes (e.g. strats) but less well with others (LP, V etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ That's true. Did you ever take a picture of yourself in playing position? Why not post it to this topic to help others correct your playing?