Hello all,

To preface this I know that most of you already know about him and know to steer clear but if you are new to guitar or are looking for lessons I can hopefully help you steer clear of Tom Hess music corporation and avoid going through what i went through.

I have recently committed myself to learning music theory and really working on my technique after years of "noodling". I was looking for books and programs and such to help me with this and I came across Tom Hessʻ website which made it look like a great program. I then went ahead and filled out his questionnaire that asked many question about my skill level and techniques i want to learn etc so that he could "tailor my training program". After paying $58 for a lesson I then received a bunch of garbage PDFʻs that had basic scales and other useless information that could be found for free all over the internet. Also including were videos of Mr. Hess spouting self righteous philosophical information about himself being the messiah of guitar. Once i realized i had basically been conned I politely emailed him and ask for a refund where i received an email back that said there will be "NO!" refund and telling me how I am an idiot and his program is great. I finally just gave up on it and considered my $58 thrown in the garbage. Beware of all his too good to be true ads because thats exactly what they are.

Cheers
I've seen a quite a few complaints on here about him. Everything is super sketchy about him.

In general if someone uses so many buzzwords and sounds like a shady businessman then you should stay away from them.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
i may be one of the few to say it, but i don't think he's that good a guitar player. the clips i've seen, his tone is terrible and is over compressed, he doesn't have a lot of dynamics in his playing, his vibrato is almost always a half step yank, and he has almost no expression in his face or body while playing or talking. he seems to have an awkward personality with his students as well. i've heard stories like this before too. you're better off just getting a hot licks video from a guitarist you like to be honest. there are tons of books and free stuff online now anyway. most of these "learn guitar fast" or "become great at guitar" programs are usually too good to be true, or they make it sound like it's a secret that will advance you faster than anyone....but really it's just the same stuff everyone learns but maybe it's worded a little different.

to be fair, he has some decent ideas, but you could find most of his useful stuff from the stuff you can find on youtube. you could find better teachers on there too and for free.
Any chance you can dispute the charge with your credit card company? You can let them know that the services that you purchased weren't what you received. Also, mention that you reached out to the site owner and he wasn't willing to work with you. Might be worth a try.
I have run into quite a lot of Tom Hess-related stuff here on U-G and on the internet in general. I have watched a few youtube-videos and such, but his ever too agressive advertising throws me off. More so when I don't find his playing all too convincing.

The last thing I would want to do is to help give a teacher a bad reputation if I am not completely sure of that he deserves it, but based on what I have heard of Tom Hess I would probably not be recommending him to anyone. And that is before I have watched his playing.

And he does not offer any kind of free trial, so why should I trust him with what is quite a lot of money?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i may be one of the few to say it, but i don't think he's that good a guitar player. the clips i've seen, his tone is terrible and is over compressed, he doesn't have a lot of dynamics in his playing, his vibrato is almost always a half step yank, and he has almost no expression in his face or body while playing or talking. he seems to have an awkward personality with his students as well. i've heard stories like this before too. you're better off just getting a hot licks video from a guitarist you like to be honest. there are tons of books and free stuff online now anyway. most of these "learn guitar fast" or "become great at guitar" programs are usually too good to be true, or they make it sound like it's a secret that will advance you faster than anyone....but really it's just the same stuff everyone learns but maybe it's worded a little different.

to be fair, he has some decent ideas, but you could find most of his useful stuff from the stuff you can find on youtube. you could find better teachers on there too and for free.

I've seen Tom Hess live, and Luca Turilli made him look like a bloody fool, Hess made mistakes left, right, and centre and I honestly think he's an awful player, I wouldn't even rate his technical skills, if I'm honest. Tom Hess uses a lot of phrases that would make a naive guitar player turn their head (for instance, claiming that one can make girls want to sleep with them by playing guitar in a certain way that only he can teach you), but, really, it's all utter rubbish. I honestly believe I could accomplish the same by just sending whoever signed up for them top tips via email, stuff like "Want to get better at sweep picking? Learn The Glass Prison arpeggios with a metronome, starting off slowly, then increasing the tempo as required", or "By studying Yngwie, you will improve your alternate picking".

Really, there isn't much point in having an online teacher (unless it's via Skype), because a real teacher will be in front of you, critiquing your every move and correcting anything that you do incorrectly. In fact, I'd say any online program that you have to pay for is bad, I'm also a singer, and it feels like every month some new vocal coach comes up with a miracle method that allows anyone to achieve a five-octave range. The same goes for guitar, Tom Hess doesn't make you a better player, the only reason why his program would is because a guitarist would be like 'Bloody hell, I've spent all of this money, better practice hard and make it worth it!'

It's an unbelievable shame that he is conning so many players, here in England, we have laws that would allow us to demand our money back and threaten him with legal action, in fact, a dodgy label owner over here fled to Barbados after the police got onto him for a similar scam, so I wonder how much of what Hess is doing is legal, and I sincerely hope that you get your money back, and Hess gets what he deserves after conning many people like yourself.
Hey gents well I did actually dispute it with paypal but "technically" he isnʻt doing anything wrong i guess just selling an ultra shitty product with no warranty whatsoever thats why I want to get the word out and warn others so they donʻt have the same thing happen to them!
Quote by kaijure87
Hey gents well I did actually dispute it with paypal but "technically" he isnʻt doing anything wrong i guess just selling an ultra shitty product with no warranty whatsoever thats why I want to get the word out and warn others so they donʻt have the same thing happen to them!

Some countries have laws against that. If the product or service is not like described, there could be a case where you should get your money back.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
More importantly, who the hell is this Tom Hess guy? I've never heard of him. Ever.

He's a professional con artist and bad neoclassical metal guitarist. He writes what are ostensibly lessons for the front page sometimes, because this site has no shame.
Hey Sean no that is not me but it seems that any real people that decide to go with him have the same story.
Well... it's obvious, isn't it? I actually worked for an outsourced call center that contracted with a "music teacher" that sold online lessons remarkably similar in nature to Mr. Tom Hess. I felt truly ashamed to be assisting with the support of such garbage, luckily he pulled out due to too many refunds. Hahaha! ****ing scum bags man, GRRRR!
Last edited by wafflesyrup at Nov 11, 2013,
He lives in Rockford IL now. He is pushing his "Mentoring" and "Master Musician" lessons on Craigslist now. He has been on there for a year. My husband has seen his ads on Craigslist claiming that he will teach you to take over the Rockford Music Scene. This man has given me so much laughter today, reading all of the forum posts and googling him. My goodness, the ego is unparalleled, a sure sign of a scam artist. He is also listed on Facebook, he has many websites and has also built his own Wiki pages. Usually, when I google someone, I get two or three hits and a mess of other stuff. I got Pages of his exploits.
I watched a lot of his musical lesson snippets in the past on youtube and I think he offers some valuable and clever advice to guitar playing in the videos I have seen, for inexperienced guitar players with a lack of ear especially. Other than that I cannot comment on the quality of anything else he offers because all I have seen was some of his youtube videos.

He seems like he really knows where people struggle on guitar and seems to have really well thought out approaches of explaining them if you listen carefully. Some of the prices he charges though is a bit too over the top.
Last edited by Unreal T at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by kaijure87
Hello all,

To preface this I know that most of you already know about him and know to steer clear but if you are new to guitar or are looking for lessons I can hopefully help you steer clear of Tom Hess music corporation and avoid going through what i went through.

I have recently committed myself to learning music theory and really working on my technique after years of "noodling". I was looking for books and programs and such to help me with this and I came across Tom Hessʻ website which made it look like a great program. I then went ahead and filled out his questionnaire that asked many question about my skill level and techniques i want to learn etc so that he could "tailor my training program". After paying $58 for a lesson I then received a bunch of garbage PDFʻs that had basic scales and other useless information that could be found for free all over the internet. Also including were videos of Mr. Hess spouting self righteous philosophical information about himself being the messiah of guitar. Once i realized i had basically been conned I politely emailed him and ask for a refund where i received an email back that said there will be "NO!" refund and telling me how I am an idiot and his program is great. I finally just gave up on it and considered my $58 thrown in the garbage. Beware of all his too good to be true ads because thats exactly what they are.

Cheers

I appreciate your post and review, as I have quite a few Tom Hess "refugees", but you will most likely have triggered the Tom Hess apologists, who will now join UG, for the purposes of making one post and hash their canned template answers like good obedient zombies. If there's ever been anything closest to a cult in the music instruction venue, Ton Hess, is it. I don't know if he's got some internet spider that sweeps the net for all the times his name is used in a forum, and then unleashes his minions, or what, but it's uncanny.

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I have heard very similar stories with the guys I teach. I wish you best of luck moving forward. What I don't understand more than anything, is how anyone would be attracted to his playing, or the examples of his students. That doesn't even sound like music to me, and has the most nasally grating tones since Frank Gambale circa 1986 when he did his Sweeping Arp book series.

Tom Hess = 1 half cult leader, 1 half snake oil salesman.

EDIT: ARGHH @ Unreal T - NECRO post? Seriously? You got me!

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by BlueIceBox
In general if someone uses so many buzzwords and sounds like a shady businessman then you should stay away from them.

I've had very little experience with him myself. I've only seen some articles from him and some internet stuff. Most of it reads as some version of

"I'm awesome. Look at me, look at me. These are all the things you're doing wrong. This is why every other teacher/method is terrible and will make you the worst guitar payer ever. Don't do all these things they are bad. I am smarter than everyone else that ever picked up a guitar and can tell you the secret to being the ultimate super badass master guitar player. If you want to know what you should do - just pay me a whole lot of money."

Be very very careful about giving your money to people over the internet.

Lesson learned.

Thread is a year old - closed
Si