So I figured, now that I have started to build a collection of pedals, it's only right to get myself a pedalboard, for ease of transport if nothing else.

I looked to buying a smallish premade board, however all cheaper cases are velcro and it seems most velcro cases are notoriously bad for holding pedals in one place.
So, with the idea of saving myself some money, and making sure pedals stay in one place, I decided to make my own.

The materials I used were pretty cheap:

- Some plywood that I had lying around
- A laptop case
- Cable ties
- White and Black paint

I found an old unused laptop case that was a decent size for a board, so I chose this as a case for it. I cut out the part that holds the laptop in place for somewhere to put the board.

After this, I cut up a square bit of wood to fit inside the case.

from here, I added a block at the bottom to angle it upwards. I attached this purely with double sided sticky tape, that is surprisingly strong.

After this, I started to play around with how to position the pedals. In the end, I decided to place them differently to in this picture.

I then realized when I was messing around with the pedals in this position, that the pedals at the back would not be easily accessible, and also, I could not plug my guitar lead into my tuner when the board was in the case. I solved the problem by raising the back pedals up a level, which luckily enough still fitted the case.

From here, I proceeded to give it an undercoat of paint, then two layers of black paint and varnish it.

The final step was to strap the pedals in.

The finished product!

It's a really neat board. Almost totally free as well, considering I already had the materials lying around!
It has a carry strap, so I can carry it on my shoulder which is a nice feature compared to some cases. It's not overly protective physically, but my main concern in terms of protection is rain, which it easily keeps off the board.

I power the pedals using a daisy chain from the NS-2 (white pedal) and plug a 9V power supply into it.
Not bad. I did pretty much the same thing with a suitcase that had been converted to a pistol case. The massive amounts of convoluted foam in the deep part held even my 3 lb. wah pedal in place (it was meant for a .45 and some extra loaded mags, after all ).

I love reading about peoples' design processes. It really helps one to understand what was going on in the mind of the builder.
That's pretty cool. I'm planning on building my own pedalboard soon, so I might have to steal your idea
Sweet case!

I use to use those zip-ties on my first couple of boards, but I found them to be a pain in the ass when you wanted to move or add pedals. Did you drill holes thru the wood for the ties?

I've been using the industrial strength velcrow from wally-world (like $15 for a 2m pack) and haven't had any issues. I haven't had not one of my 9 pedals slip out of place. Even my huge Moen switcher doesn't move. It's actually usually a bitch trying to get them off again

Cheers for creativity!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Yep good budget board.

I had an old 12 channel stereo mixer that broke, it had a great Gator case. I built my board to fit in the Gator case and all my pedals are nice and secure. The case is even angled like a mixer sits, so it doesn't put unneeded stress on the pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by red.guitar
Sweet case!

I use to use those zip-ties on my first couple of boards, but I found them to be a pain in the ass when you wanted to move or add pedals. Did you drill holes thru the wood for the ties?

I've been using the industrial strength velcrow from wally-world (like $15 for a 2m pack) and haven't had any issues. I haven't had not one of my 9 pedals slip out of place. Even my huge Moen switcher doesn't move. It's actually usually a bitch trying to get them off again

Cheers for creativity!

Yep, holes for each cable.
And Well, frankly there aren't too many pedals I am likely to add tbh. Hence why i was able to make such a small board .
I've got space for one more up front pedal, then I have the rest of that back bar to fill with FX loop pedals. As for moving them..can't see myself wanting to really, got all the essential pedals up front as it is.
Quote by ambler3
Well, frankly there aren't too many pedals I am likely to add tbh.

Thats what I use to tell myself
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112