I've been on the market for a while picking out a few to choose from and so far I've come to these three: ESP ltd ec1000, ibanez arz800, schecter hell raiser solo 6.
any advice would be much obliged.
I'm playing through a Roland cube 60.
THANKS
ps I love fat necks
Fat neck: Les Paul. You can probably afford the Gibson LP Studio, one of those, idk
I'd recommend the ESP, but it has a thin neck. I haven't tried the schecter but I've heard that they have fat necks.

But if you have 1000$ to spend on a new guitar, you could just get a cheaper guitar and buy a better metal amp to really get that metal tone. What kind of bands do you listen to? Or rather what kind of music you play? A stock recommendation would be a Peavey 6505+ combo and probably a schecter/cheaper gibson s-cut, you could get both used for the price.
For a fat neck go try a new Epi LP Standard or better. They’re pretty sweet guitars.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I'd recommend the ESP, but it has a thin neck. I haven't tried the schecter but I've heard that they have fat necks.

But if you have 1000$ to spend on a new guitar, you could just get a cheaper guitar and buy a better metal amp to really get that metal tone. What kind of bands do you listen to? Or rather what kind of music you play? A stock recommendation would be a Peavey 6505+ combo and probably a schecter/cheaper gibson s-cut, you could get both used for the price.

I play a lot of different styles but mainly stuff like early bring me the horizon, architects, blessthefall and Memphis may fire.
I am planning on getting a new amp and unfortunately it can't be a 6505+ as I don't really do much gigging and have penises as neighbors so I need something I can use with headphones, I was thinking of the peavey vypyr 75.
Gibson LP studio w/50's neck
Fender Tele
G&L ASAT
Fender J5 Tele
Fender Jim Root Tele
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by guitar/bass95

That's actually not true at all. Kids are too used to Ibanez WIzard necks to know what a guitar neck of average thickness feels like.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by dantheamazingfu
I play a lot of different styles but mainly stuff like early bring me the horizon, architects, blessthefall and Memphis may fire.
I am planning on getting a new amp and unfortunately it can't be a 6505+ as I don't really do much gigging and have penises as neighbors so I need something I can use with headphones, I was thinking of the peavey vypyr 75.

Vypyrs are fine, but not really an upgrade from the cube. For those bands you'll probably need something that can be tuned low amirite? Take that into consideration also. You can pay attention to pickups as well.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's actually not true at all. Kids are too used to Ibanez WIzard necks to know what a guitar neck of average thickness feels like.

Well, that's just what I've heard from someone else here at UG. Thanks for correcting
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Nov 10, 2013,
They're all pretty much the same guitar, but the LTD has 24 frets and it has Extra Jumbo frets. If you play with a light touch and like to spend time in the upper frets, this would be my choice. It has a thinner neck, and those are usually best for people who have strong hands and a more "classical" technique.

Fatter necks are better for those who have weak hands, arthritis, etc., because it allows them to bring forearm and palm muscles into play. The folks who spend a lot of time with their thumbs wrapped around the neck rather than placed on the back center of the neck do better with those. Gibson has some of the porkiest necks around, Epiphone has a few.
i would go with a high end ESP for a single cut. i really like how its thinner and more contoured than a gibson.

i find the high end models to be of equal quality as well. i was on the fence about buying one.

...how about a carvin? their single cuts get expensive fast though, you are probably 1000 + there.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i would go with a high end ESP for a single cut. i really like how its thinner and more contoured than a gibson.

TS doesn't have $4000 to spend on a high-end ESP.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
PRS SE Singlecuts can get away with metal with the stock pups. Swapping them out may not be a bad idea though.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
With its pseudo-retro styling, it may not look the part, but the Reverend Reeves Gabrels II is perfectly capable of handling metal. The two RailHammer Chisels are medium-high output, and their hybrid pole/blade design makes them pretty sweet for drop tuning. The tone control has a push-pull for out of phase tones. Te neck is a medium oval in a 25.5" scale. Its locking tuners help keep it from detuning while working its Wilkinson trem.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/reeves-gabrels-ii/

The Fernandes Ravelle is another great guitar for hard rock & metal. Options vary on the particular version- hardtail or Floyd, hot passives or EMGs or Sustainers. Nice ergonomics, LP style mass & sustain with relatively slender necks.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ravelle.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2013,
the EC-1000 are like 800-900. used?

???? ESPs are not that expensive unless you get a signature. most ESP are like 1500 down to a few hundred.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 10, 2013,
ESP are $1000+ Used
LTD are cheaper

LTD EC1000 run $500+ used normally
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ikey_

???? ESPs are not that expensive unless you get a signature. most ESP are like 1500 down to a few hundred.

A high end ESP would be a custom shop instrument. That's essentially what ESP is these days.
Quote by TheSennaj
If you wanna tune lower than drop c then go for the Ibanez or Schecter. The Ltd has a shorter scale, and 12-56 are unpleasant to play on those necks. I use 11-54 on my eclipse and it plays great in drop c, but drop b is out of the question sadly.
Have you looked at the Charvel desolation single cuts? 24 frets, 25.5' scale, and they're priced extremely well. I've never played one but it looks like it fits your needs pretty well.
I used to own 2 EC-1000's. I still own one of them. They are in my opinion, one of the best playing guitars around. They are awesome. 24 Frets. They look awesome. They sound great. Definitely worth it.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by dspellman
They're all pretty much the same guitar, but the LTD has 24 frets and it has Extra Jumbo frets. If you play with a light touch and like to spend time in the upper frets, this would be my choice. It has a thinner neck, and those are usually best for people who have strong hands and a more "classical" technique.

Fatter necks are better for those who have weak hands, arthritis, etc., because it allows them to bring forearm and palm muscles into play. The folks who spend a lot of time with their thumbs wrapped around the neck rather than placed on the back center of the neck do better with those. Gibson has some of the porkiest necks around, Epiphone has a few.

More than a little opinionated BS in this......sorry but you're generalizing a lot.
Moving on.....
Best way for YOU to know which is best,is to go play them yourself.My opinion is the ec-1000,but that's based on my hands and my ears. When you pay 500-700 for a guitar there's not going to be a significant difference between quality...When you pay 500-700,you get a 500-700 guitar.The issue is finding one that fits your hands and feels good
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Get an ESP/LTD or a Schecter homie
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
All good guitars. Try them out though, because what you've get there are three guitars that have fairly different neck profiles.

Thickest to thinnest: Schecter, LTD, Ibanez.
But I own a schecter and I really don't feel the neck to be thick. Thick compared to an Ibanez. But since when is having a bit of wood in your hands to actually hold onto a bad thing? Don't believe that thinner is best without trying for yourself. You may like it. The LTD is middle of the road.

They are all appropriate for your styles and of good build quality so the only thing that separates them now is how they feel in your hands.

I'd probably go for the LTD out of those three.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A high end ESP would be a custom shop instrument. That's essentially what ESP is these days.

unless i have been off of the deep end, but i see used ESP (NOT LTD) ~$<1500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Eclipse-II-Guitar-VB-w-Bare-Knuckle-Nailbomb-pickups-Vintage-Black-BKP-LTD-/291012666170?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c1b4e33a

that would be pretty sweet IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
unless i have been off of the deep end, but i see used ESP (NOT LTD) ~$<1500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Eclipse-II-Guitar-VB-w-Bare-Knuckle-Nailbomb-pickups-Vintage-Black-BKP-LTD-/291012666170?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c1b4e33a

that would be pretty sweet IMO.

I was talking about buying new.
Quote by TheSennaj