For the past four months I haven't been able to finish a song - everything I write sounds boring or expected and I'm getting quite down about it.

I'd never say songwriting came easy to me, but usually staying at it for a few hours I'd at least get a riff, 3 hrs tonight and the thing I created I know I won't bother returning to because it's boring.

I know there's no cure, but how long does this go on for? It's starting to feel like a bad joke.
If you're stuck, that means you'll need to start practicing on something new, before you can actually make something that you didn't know you could make. if that makes sence.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
If you're stuck, that means you'll need to start practicing on something new, before you can actually make something that you didn't know you could make. if that makes sence.

I agree with this 100%. Another piece of advice that I would do is to listen to genres of music that you wouldn't necessarily listen to, it'll get you out of a musical rut, especially if you only listen to a few different types of music. That might help you with your writers block.
Thanks for the suggestions folks, if anybody has anything else I'll take it on board.

Started to learn my favourite John Frusciante album (not sure if I'll learn the whole album, quite tempted) and since then I've at least managed to finish a song. Forcing myself to go back and revise and rewrite and revise and rewrite and finally I'm starting to feel like I can call myself a songwriter again, but it's actually felt like I've had to recover from something.

Strange feeling.
Maybe you should take a break from writing music until you feel inspired again..

until you have something to write about.

you cant force inspiration
I find inspiration only comes when you have something worth saying inside, the rest is just fluff.
I agree with listening to something you wouldn't listen to. Learn a piece of music that is way different. It's good to get out of your comfort zone musically, it allows you to be more than a one-trick pony

One thing that's helped me with writing lyrics is reading good novels. If a word you've never seen before jumps out at you, go look up what it means, that'll give you more options for lyrical ideas. Also analyse lyrics you like and point out things you like and don't like.

Hope it helps out!
Last edited by Bocob at Nov 19, 2013,