i have an ibanez rg series that i'm gonna change the pickups the switch goes as so
1:Bridge
2:Coil split on bridge
3:Bridge and Neck
4:Coil Split neck
5:Neck...
i know how to solder and i've seen tutorials on switching pickups but all of them don't show anything about the pickup selector. Most of the ones i've seen you just remove the old pickups and unsolder it from the pot and solder the knew pickups wire onto the pot... i've also seen the one where you splice both the wire from the new pickup and the previous pickups so that way you make a joint between the two and just solder those two together.. does that work?
It really depends on your wiring. If the guitar has a master volume, then you'll be soldering your wires onto the selector switch. If it has individual volumes, you'll solder to the pot first. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter, because all you need to do is solder your new wires to exactly the same places as the old ones. Be sure to buy pickups with 4-connector wiring too, if you want to continue having the split option (otherwise, grab yourself a 3-way switch).
Quote by -MintSauce-
It really depends on your wiring. If the guitar has a master volume, then you'll be soldering your wires onto the selector switch. If it has individual volumes, you'll solder to the pot first. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter, because all you need to do is solder your new wires to exactly the same places as the old ones. Be sure to buy pickups with 4-connector wiring too, if you want to continue having the split option (otherwise, grab yourself a 3-way switch).

i want to keep the split coil option... and what if its 1 volume 1 tone?
Here is the diagram you need if you get lost: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2hum_1vol_1tone_super5way

But just try to put the new wires in the same place as the old ones.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i dont understand the diagram much... the little black wire from the neck pickups goes onto the switch 3 times... how would i do that? its like it just sort of looks like it bounces off and onto the next one.. and some of the black wires aren't even coming from the pickups.. how would that work?