So I have written an album using Guitar Pro 6 and I can get a somewhat decent sound from the file. I added it to soundcloud and a lot of people like it. My question is, should I add my music to spotify, muve music, google play music, amazon, ect? I think the music sounds realistic enough and like I said people like it even in guitar pro. When I've brought it up though I heard other metal musicians such as myself say I would be a "poser" and it would be like cheating because it's just a computer playing the music and I'm not actually playing any of it. Should I sell it anyways or should I wait until I get better at guitar and get good recording software and then record it and sell it? I apologize if I don't make sense at certain parts as I have had little sleep recently.
Post a sample somewhere for us to listen to. We can give you an idea if it's worth trying to sell.

I do agree that there will be those who'll think you're cheating. There really is something about recording someone who's really playing an instrument. Post a sample, or a track, and I'll give you an honest opinion.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Post a sample somewhere for us to listen to. We can give you an idea if it's worth trying to sell.

I do agree that there will be those who'll think you're cheating. There really is something about recording someone who's really playing an instrument. Post a sample, or a track, and I'll give you an honest opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/derek-woolley/derek-woolley-scourge-of-terra
Here is a track from my finished album

Although I have changed my sound a bit on my new unfinished album

Here's one of the newer tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/derek-woolley/phenomenon-sample
Yeah...

I doubt anyone is gonna buy an album of midi tunes... I know at least I wouldn't.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
the bits i heard were pretty cool from a composition standpoint, but the midi is a dealbreaker for me. at points the guitar is almost passable, so i get what you mean when you say it sounds realistic enough...but it will probably bother me more if i listen to it enough. also, the blastbeat drums bother me the most.

if you decided to turn this into some sort of crossover metal/electronica i would find it easier to accept. you'd be hurting yourself by trying too hard to emulate a band that is largely not there.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 10, 2013,
Quote by Derek Woolley

Holy crap the drums sound horrible. Seriously, I thought I my computer had a buffering issue at 1:12 in the second song. It's the perfect storm of a horrible beat and sound. I'm honestly astounded that nobody has mentioned this to your already.

Your composition skills seem pretty strong, but you're not doing them justice through torturing the listener with such crappy quality beats and drums.

So no, I would not charge for these. Honestly I would not even pass them to venues as demos.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You come from a background that uses physical instruments and recording techniques. This means that your material is UNFINISHED. You have the sketches down and now you have to record them.
A related point is that computer generated music is fine and not a kind of cheating. But in your case, your material in its current state between the worlds of electronic music (more involved than just MIDI samples) and metal music (people playing physical instruments). That will leave almost no one satisfied with your work. Ya gotta go big or go home in one area; don't water it down by spreading out. Since you seem come from a traditional instrumental background and value that more, I'd say stick with that.

EDIT: Oh god, the drums in the second song. Samples (like that of a snare hit) suck when you repeat them really fast because they are one sound. They behave very differently than actually repeatedly hitting a real snare.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Nov 11, 2013,
I have nothing against computer generated music and people who have are just close minded and should gtfo. But general midi sounds are pretty horrible. I mean, they are passable if you just want to demo a song. Actually the slower parts sound decent but midi guitars and drums + fast parts just sound horrible. Especially the fast snare and double bass beats.

So what I would do is get a DAW and at least record the guitar and bass parts. And for drums and keyboards and whatever you need, use vst instruments or samples. That's what I do and it sounds a lot better than general midi sounds.

The thing is, you won't be able to sell music with general midi sounds (and even with proper sounds I don't think you would be able to sell that many records unless you started gigging). I can listen to them as song demos but nothing else. For example if I wanted to listen to music on my Mp3 player, I would not listen to your songs unless they were properly recorded.

You can get some pretty realistic drum and keyboard sounds by using samples/vst instruments. But I think guitar is a lot harder to make sound realistic.

I don't know the genre that well but I would work on the song structure on your first song. Some parts just didn't have the flow. And the drum beat in the second song was too aggressive to my taste - I mean, the guitar part was pretty melodic and the drums just played blast beat. Maybe try different kind of drum beats (less double kicks) for the second song. Or then make the guitars a lot more aggressive. Because IMO the song didn't sound that aggressive, other than the drum part. Try to make the drums fit the song, not just play as fast as possible. I liked the guitar line on the second song, I think it was cool.

Oh, and the good feedback is because people listen to your songs as unfinished song ideas and think "it's going to be a cool song when it's finished and properly recorded". Just because you get good feedback doesn't mean anybody's going to buy your midi files. If you said those were the finished versions of the songs, I don't think the feedback would be that positive.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 11, 2013,
wow yep classic guitar pro recordings. decent riffs all thrown together without any cohesion
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by DUISparky
I have no idea if there's much of a market for "Midi-Metal" at this point in time, but with the proper promotion and marketing, this could be big! Live shows might be a problem though. I don't think a lot of people are going to pay to watch someone sitting at a computer.

that's what they thought until the HAARP machine broke up the first time

the only difference is it was only the guitarist with terrible faked parts he couldn't play. this guy is screwed without alex rudinger and mike semesky to back him up

plus HAARPs writing was good enough to make up for it and wasn't written around midi. i find most midi songs, when recorded with live instruments, actually don't sound nearly as successful.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Thanks for all the advice guys,I appreciate the honesty. I have one more question though. Do you guys think it would be worth it for me to record this with real instruments or do you think it is not put together well enough?
worth it? don't think of it in those terms. you know you want to, right? you clearly believe you have something good, why not just keep practicing guitar and make this a goal? it costs next to nothing to record decent guitar tracks at home these days, and all you need is software to put it together and program the other instruments.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by DUISparky
If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it. My own advice would be to find some other musicians and record real instruments, not computer generated instrument sounds, or learn to play the other instruments you want on your recordings and play them yourself. This is just my opinion, but I would much rather hear real instruments played by real people, with all the imperfections involved in that, than "perfect" CG music.

I agree.

Your music was certainly made for instruments meant to be played by humans. So I don't see a point in using computer generated sounds. Some sounds can't be achieved with "real" instruments but your songs don't have that kind of sounds. They are meant to be played with "real" instruments.

As I said, drums can be programmed and they can sound pretty realistic. Some professional musicians have used programmed drums on albums. For example Steve Vai used programmed drums on some songs on his "Alien Love Secrets" album.

And I think recording your own songs is fun. Because they are a lot more pleasing to listen to than general midi sounds. I wouldn't think about releasing stuff professionally until you can record good quality sounds and have band members to play with you. I mean, of course releasing your song ideas on Soundcloud or Youtube is cool. But that's not what I would consider "professional". With "professional" I mean selling albums or selling songs online or something like that.

As I said, IMO the first song sounded like a bunch of riffs thrown together. You need to make it flow better. And if you want to release music, playing with a band would help. So if you aren't in a band yet, maybe join one. It's also fun to play with a band - a lot more fun than shredding in your bedroom.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115