The calluses on my fingertips are so hard that the strings just slide off them. I thought I kept missing the strings but I realized they were just sliding off. It's like trying to press down a string with a plastic ball or something. I put lotion on my fingers and it made it worse.
It sounds like the placement of your fingertips on the fretboard is the problem. I've never heard of a guitarist having calluses that are too hard...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I dont know what it is but after I got my calluses back, it's been hard to place my fingers correctly. Maybe because I can't really feel the strings anymore. My fingertips are numb and don't have any grip.
Take it slowly and build up the muscle memory.

I have no other ideas as I've not experienced the same. Just repetition, I guess.
Wow, that's really strange. I've been playing for quite a few years, and even on periods of intensive practice, my calluses never got hard enough to make my fingertips feel numb, nor hard enough for the strings to slip.

Maybe see a dermatologist?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Tony Iommi doesn't have this problem.

Quote by Slap-happy
Tony Iommi doesn't have this problem.

Actually, he has.

I remember reading an interview in which he explains he had to find a material hard enough to be effective, but soft enough to avoid string slippage. Which, ironically, is precisely TS's problem.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Actually, he has.

I remember reading an interview in which he explains he had to find a material hard enough to be effective, but soft enough to avoid string slippage. Which, ironically, is precisely TS's problem.

He initially melted down washing up (Fairy) liquid bottles.

What I was inferring was that the lack of actual sensation at the tips of the affected fingers has not adversely affect his playing ability.
I have those hard bits of skin on the end of fingertips , and it just confuses me when I try to mute surrounding strings cause it don't feel right !