I thought about this for a while, and it seems that all the great songwriters have wrote a serious amount of stuff. Just look at the great classical composers, they have probably wrote over a thousand musical pieces each (I never counted or searched, but you know it's true. Oh yes you do.).

That means becoming a great songwriter can be developed through practice. (No shit Sherlock, everything gets better with practice).

So, as there are finger exercises to get you shredding there must be songwriting exercises as well right? Can you share any exercise type things to write music (not lyrics) or anything you can practice everyday?
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Nov 11, 2013,
not that I know of. you just write what you feel.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I don't really have any solid songwriting exercises, but personally, I just write down anything and everything, whether it's on my phone, my computer, or whatever paper is available. I just keep all of that stuff, and when I'm going to write a song, I pull all that stuff out and use it. It gives me a wide variety of attitudes to a song, and I can generally write at least 3 completely different songs by the time I'm done. Hope this helps!
The only other tip that I have is to listen to all types of music that you like, find the lyrics, and figure out which ones really speak to you. From there, you can try and think of things that relate to those lyrics, and away you go. The same technique can be used for the actual music of the song.
Personally, I think the main motivation I find in songwriting is listening to a catchy melody. A musical melody (or motif) that really sticks on the mind, and you can literally base a whole idea of a song off of. Chances are, that melody would be typically be used as the hook of your song, since that's pretty much really the only part you want people to remember the most (outside of the OBVIOUS fact that you would want listeners to remember the entire song, baby steps are necessary). By that time, that particular melody would bring me to a certain thought and/or mood, and I would start formulating words based around that. Then after some editing, and finding the right usage of words and transitions between lines, that would lead me to a full chorus/hook that I have written. I pretty much repeat the same process when it comes to writing the bridge. Verses for a song are pretty much, in my opinion, ideas that stem from the point of your story, or hook/chorus.

Hope this helps!
My teacher tells me to write lines over chord progressions. And my own licks that I'll eventually use in solo's just write all the time bigger ideas will come.
One thing that has helped me write stuff is to read. Read anything, books, poems, comics, w/e, and then, draw inspiration and then, whatever lyrics you have down try to imagine what the sound of said lyrics would sound like (lol, makes no sense..) FOR EXAMPLE: one riff that really sticks out in my mind is the first riff of Ride The lightning. Whenever I hear it, it sounds like thunder and lightning because you go the bass drum in the background providing the Boom, or the Clap of Thunder, and the piercing guitars that sound like the whipping nature of electricity. I hope this helps, and I wasn't just stating the obvious, and/or, went off topic.

One terribly inspirational book that has really put millions of ideas in my head is Dante's Inferno. If you decide to personally read the book, get a version that has notes that helps you read between the lines and understand all the allegories, and how the punishments fit the sinners and such.
i improvise a lot. most of my playing is made up on the spot. from time to time you end up doing stuff that you want to keep, so you make a recording of it, or play it a bunch of times so you remember it, or write it down, or just keep going and let them fall by the wayside. when i used to play all day, there were days when i'd probably come up with a dozen unique songs.
Quote by Torsten Borg

This link actually leads somewhere.

Mind = Blown.

Also, this:

If you truly believe that you have what it takes to write hit songs, you WILL write hit songs. If you believe that you don't have what it takes then you will never write a hit.

Is really stupid. There are almost definitely a handful of delusional people out there who think they have what it takes to have a 'hit' who have never come anywhere close to making it.
Last edited by Nietsche at Nov 21, 2013,
How about this TS:
Take a chord progression and make up 5-10 different ways you can play that progression or make a melody over it. Strum it with a guitar, use drone notes, write riffs ("Living After Midnight" comes to mind), use whole notes, use different instruments, etc.

Take a riff - make as many different variations you can think of. Layer it, strip it, harmonize it, etc.

Jam with a drum track. I've analyzed a few songs very recently where the drums had only two different sections and the bass and electric guitar played around it.
We're all alright!
Quote by Mathedes
How about this TS:
Take a chord progression and make up 5-10 different ways you can play that progression or make a melody over it. Strum it with a guitar, use drone notes, write riffs ("Living After Midnight" comes to mind), use whole notes, use different instruments, etc.

Yeah Right I been doing this every time.. I try to play a riff on the guitar then put it same melody as the main riff like sabbath if you notice some song from black sabbath have same melody thru guitar riff "NIB,IRON MAN & SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH and all works
Last edited by yahelite-rcell at Nov 26, 2013,