So I've learned some chords and finally getting barre chords down. I'm thinking the next step would be to learn scales. What is the best method you have found for learning them? Thanks.
Quote by carpenterrpaul
Patterns. All you need to know is those notes.

I agree. Learn the map. It's helped me.
Patterns are a great starting point, also while learning the patterns it's good to learn the name of each note as you hit it going up and down.

Knowing the entire fretboard becomes AMAZINGLY usefull once you start to get it down. You'll be hopping between patterns on a whim for musical sense when improving, writing, or even learning someone elses material, you will begin to see how and why it all goes together.
Focus on the sound of the scale, and what color it gets depending on what harmonic backdrop it's being played over. There is no point in sitting and practicing scales up and down all day, you need to get familiar with the sound.

I would suggest singing every note you play, it's a great way to connect your mind to what you are doing on the fretboard. Which is ultimately what you want to do. You want to just be able to think of a line and then being able to play it, just like if you have something to say you just say it.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkaqfgSqtHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWVCuk6V6k
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
It's also good to understand the scale. Knowing the note names in the scale helps. Also knowing the intervals in the scale helps. Sound is very important too.

Also, now that you have learned the chords, have you already played songs? If not, start playing songs. That's what guitar playing is all about - music. Practicing scale runs isn't that musical. So start applying what you have already learned. With just the basic chords you can play lots of songs. Playing music is important because that's where you need those chords. And that way you'll get a lot better at switching between chords and remembering where you find the chord you are looking for.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
ugh all the above posts....

learn your intervals TS, in relation to how chords are built. i'd absolutely recommend learning your scales around your chords, because that's basically just what they are: a few notes in between the different chord tones.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by bobduff80
So I've learned some chords and finally getting barre chords down. I'm thinking the next step would be to learn scales. What is the best method you have found for learning them? Thanks.

Before you get deep into theory, I'd recommend spending more time with those chords. Get proficient at switching between them. Get good at rhythm techniques like strumming and picking. Best way to do that is to learn a bunch of songs. (not the solos just the rhythm parts)

When you've achieved reasonable competency there, you can expand to solos, which is where scales will come in.

again, if you can't play any songs, don't even worry about that yet. There is plenty to learn, so you might as well do it with some kind of structure. Random fancy words that you lack the foundation to understand will do little good when it comes to actually playing the guitar.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 11, 2013,
I've been playing for a little bit now. Can play a few songs now. Even getting barre chords in too. I'll try that singing the note name as I play it. Thanks all
Yeah, I don't see a point in learning scales, unless you start playing solo guitar. They really have little use outside of solo playing.

Also playing songs is a lot more fun than playing scales up and down. If you like rock music, there are plenty of cool riffs that you could learn. What I did when I started was playing my favorite songs without solos/parts I couldn't play (pretty much all Metallica, lol - I was a Metallica fanboy back then). I learned the songs by ear and if I couldn't figure some part out, I used tabs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You can do what I did and learn the A minor and E minor scales. Now put the 7th note up a halfstep and you got a Harmonic Minor scale. These two scales are the essence of Heavy Metal (just ask Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, ect if they use it). I'd also suggest learning to improvise and play arpeggios of your barred chords. Sorry if I'm late but hope this helped.