I have a marshall 8080 valvestate that was given to me a year or so ago. It's quite old, and it hadn't been played in many years when I got it. So I play it constantly and it sounds pretty nice, but there is a few problems and after a few searches deducted it might be the tubes (Constant Hum, turn the volume up high enough it just shuts off, sometimes random volume drops).

I'm a complete noob at these things, so do you think I need to replace the tubes, if so which ones, and replace them with what? Cheers

(If you need pics of the amp/inner circuitry I will oblige)
Last edited by Jamerman at Nov 11, 2013,
There is one 12ax7 in the amp, that is $10ish to replace. That is all there is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
IIRC the tube i only engaged on the second channel with those things. If the problem is on both channels something else will be causing the problem. Replace the tube anyway, as Rob said, they're cheap. No need to bias anything or other shenanigans, just pull out the old one and stick the new one in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
IIRC the tube i only engaged on the second channel with those things. If the problem is on both channels something else will be causing the problem. Replace the tube anyway, as Rob said, they're cheap. No need to bias anything or other shenanigans, just pull out the old one and stick the new one in.

Thanks a lot, I'll get right on it