Hey guys,

I've been using a 1-spot power supply for about a year now, and it does the job, but lately i've found things to be getting a lil noisey.

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of the 1-spot powering all my pedals, although it seems to be a lot worse at home than when i'm at practice or playing live. Plus the fact that i have some nice pedals, and want to power them safely with no risk of surges etc. (i have been unfortunate that way in the past).
I dont really trust the power plugs where we jam, so that might be adding to the interference too!

I'd rather spend around the £100 mark, propbably more, which would be a definite step up in price bracket from my 1-spot i currently have!
I have a fair few pedals though, so i need to be able to power them all.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe?
Looks like it pumps out a good amount of power, plus the addition of the sag control is really cool, as i am a big fuzz fan. Goes for cheaper than the Voodoo Labs one aswell...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/pid27936/cid591/decibel-eleven-hot-stone-deluxe-multi-pedal-power-supply.asp

I've never used a brick style supply though, am i supposed to daisychain off it where i can? And isolate the noisier pedals?

My pedals i'd currently need to power are:
-Fulltone Wah
-Tycobrahe Octavia clone
-Fuzzface Clone
-Nobels Compressor/Sustainer
-Keeley BD-2
-Ibanez TS-7
-EHX Big Muff (tone wicker)
-Carl Martin Classic Chorus
-Malekko Ekko 616 (which will draw 250mA)
-TC Elctronic Hall of Fame (100mA)
-Vox Delaylab (200mA)
-Mooer Pitchbox
-Boss RC-20 looper
And i do intend to get more pedals down the line, possibly a tremolo.
I never run all these pedals at once, but would like the option to if i ever get the chance to rock a more complex rig at a rig.

(PS. If someone could show me how to hide the pedals list in a dropdown box so as to make my OP more concise, please tell me!)

Anywho, options for power supplies?
Or would a power conditioner + surge protector of sorts help for noise and protection?

On that note, could someone reccomend a surge protector for my amp? (see sig)

Cheers guys!
The fuzzface may give you problems. If it's a true clone it will have a +ve internal earth so it will need it's own supply (or isolated output). I'd check. Just open it up and see which side of the battery goes to ground.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really like T-Rex and Voodoo labs power supply's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
The fuzzface may give you problems. If it's a true clone it will have a +ve internal earth so it will need it's own supply (or isolated output). I'd check. Just open it up and see which side of the battery goes to ground.

Oh, should have mentioned, it's a negative ground i made! So shouldn't have any issues with it. All my pedals are negative ground.

Looking at the T-Rex and Voodoo lab ones, it seems like i'd be paying more money for less features (in the case of the pedal power 2 mainly)
Which of the models would you suggest? and are they really worth the extra?
I also don't want to be wasting valuable power on 12V supplies i'll never use!

Do any of my pedals seem to be 12-18v compatible?
I know naff all about commercial power supplies sorry, I've always built my own.

The TS7 will run ok on12V and probably the muff. The fuzzface you should know about, my guess is that it should be fine but as they are a discreet component doover the biasing on the transistors may be out a bit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 11, 2013,
Have you seen the Digitech Hardwire V-10? It's pretty new is fully isolated. It's about the same price as the T-Rex fuel tank Jr but has 10 outputs instead of 5.

I'm interested in one but there aren't many reviews of it out there to go on.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I really like T-Rex and Voodoo labs power supply's

+1, add cioks in there too.

If it helps, I just got a T-rex chameleon

Pehaps you could get away with the fuel tank jr - but it wouldn't power the delays.

I think there is a cioks model that would suit you well - don't remember what it's called though.

I personally think T-Rex and cioks are better deals in Europe compared with Voodoo labs.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Mephaphil
Sounds like you have A power supply but not THE power supply.

heh, yehh, i was just going the eye catching, he-man route;
'I NEED THE POWERRR' doesnt have the same ring to it!

Now that Digitech supply does look good, but it's on the pricey side over here; £170-180.
I also don't like that to get higher current draw (300-400 mA) i need combine two of the outlets, essentially forfeiting an extra feed. So really its 8 outputs i'd use.

I realize i may be being hyper critical, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Could i get the odd suggestion of how to hook up all these pedals? I'm guessing all the low-draw pedals could daisy-chain off one outlet, maybe two 100mA pedals off a 200mA supply etc?
One time i found my HoF reverb to be a noise-making culprit, even when switching from true-bypass to buffer.

edit:
Quote by mulefish
+1, add cioks in there too.

If it helps, I just got a T-rex chameleon

Pehaps you could get away with the fuel tank jr - but it wouldn't power the delays.

I think there is a cioks model that would suit you well - don't remember what it's called though.

I personally think T-Rex and cioks are better deals in Europe compared with Voodoo labs.

Yeh, that's true, Voodoo lab are certainly on the pricey end over here, the Jr and Chameleon are £100 + £130 respectively.
What current does the Jr run at?
Can i change output 6 to DC on the chameleon?
The cioks look hopefully as well, cheers for the suggestions! Which model would suit me?
Last edited by jaybals at Nov 12, 2013,
You'll just have to find the pedals that are making noise and isolate them

The digitech supply looks great if the current draw suits your needs. Not many pedals use 400mA - it's really only the big digital processors like strymon and eventides.
RIP Gooze

cats
On the chameleon you can't use output 5 and 6 simultaneously. You've got 12VAC or 9/12VDC, not both.

The cioks I'd recommend are a bit more expensive than the t-rex's but do provide more outputs. I'd look at the dc8 and dc10 first.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 12, 2013,
A power conditioner will help being that its noisier at home than elsewhere.
Buy you should also be aware, that some pedals do not play well together when power is daisy chained.
Particularly analog and digital pedals.

But IMO, you should NEVER EVER play out without a power conditioner. For both your effects AND your amp.
You never know the quality of the power of whatever venue you may be playing is.

Edit:
Even some studios I have played in had less than ideal power.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by CodeMonk
A power conditioner will help being that its noisier at home than elsewhere.
Buy you should also be aware, that some pedals do not play well together when power is daisy chained.
Particularly analog and digital pedals.

But IMO, you should NEVER EVER play out without a power conditioner. For both your effects AND your amp.
You never know the quality of the power of whatever venue you may be playing is.

Edit:
Even some studios I have played in had less than ideal power.

I hear that, i'm very protective of my amp. I don't really know what i'm looking for with a power conditioner, could you point me in the right direction?
Or make your own and build it into the pedalboard itself. That's how I do it. I fit a complete rectifier/regulator on a 1" square board. There's not much too 'em. Just use whatever value regulator you need and make as many as you need. Your standard 7809 is good for an amp. Add a bridge rectifier and a fairly small cap (by power supply standard), that's it. The 7809 does most of the work. Just need to select the right transformer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by jaybals
I hear that, i'm very protective of my amp. I don't really know what i'm looking for with a power conditioner, could you point me in the right direction?

Furman makes some pretty good ones.
Not sure of the prices though.
I myself have one made by Livewire. I forget which model but it was about $190 at GC.
Don't remember the model though, although I got it a few years ago, so there probably have newer better version.
Check the GC website and see what they have available.
Quote by WeZ-84
Have you seen the Digitech Hardwire V-10? It's pretty new is fully isolated. It's about the same price as the T-Rex fuel tank Jr but has 10 outputs instead of 5.

I'm interested in one but there aren't many reviews of it out there to go on.

I looked into the V-10, its basically a worse version of a CIOKS DC10. I'm pretty set on a DC10 myself, being in the same situation as you at the moment jaybals. (except i am penny-less).

DC10 is around $220 USD new.

Main thing I've learnt from daisying is that if the pedal draws about 100mA or more, it will always add some noise, and every pedal over 100mA you add just increases that a bit more with a different frequency. You can usually daisy most simple OD's, fuzzes, A/B's and wahs without any issues but anything else (whammys, delays, verbs, mobius's etc (even though they're 'true bypass') will eventually annoy you more than please you if there chained.