I've been playing guitar, on and off (mostly off), about 4-5 years. I've learned the intro to Purple Haze, but I'm still shaky on anything after that. It took about 20-30 minutes (if that) to learn the intro. With guitar skill, I'd give myself a 5/10. Asking out of curiosity, how long do you think it would be before I could play the whole album, or how long did it take you to learn however many songs you know off it?

Also, what are the easiest songs to learn off that album or Hendrix in general?
Last edited by goldenguyz at Nov 11, 2013,
You rate yourself a 5/10 but you can only play the intro to purple haze, and it took you half an hour to learn it?

Just based on your OP, I'd say it would take you a few months to a year to learn the full album.
Learn something easier TS. This material is beyond your standard are you're likely to give up and not enjoy yourself, or improve.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by macashmack
You rate yourself a 5/10 but you can only play the intro to purple haze, and it took you half an hour to learn it?

Just based on your OP, I'd say it would take you a few months to a year to learn the full album.

I was doing other stuff whilst learning it which is probably why it took so long. Would you say it's a bit of a leap from Nirvana, Green Day and that type of guitar style?
Hendrix is definitely a leap in regard to technicality. If you're committed to learning that record it won't be a chore and you'll enjoy yourself, but if you're just feeling inspired by Hendrix (and hey, who wasn't when they first heard the guy?) it might be best to take a step back and try learning, for instance, JUST Purple Haze and really getting it down. As far as easy Hendrix songs go... Purple Haze is the big one, along with Hey Joe and Foxy Lady.
Quote by goldenguyz
I was doing other stuff whilst learning it which is probably why it took so long. Would you say it's a bit of a leap from Nirvana, Green Day and that type of guitar style?

How much of these bands have you learnt?

Yes it's a leap, but I'm trying to get a feel for where you're REALLY at. When you say you've "learnt Nirvana" do you mean you leant the first 10 seconds of one of their songs or did you actually learn the entire Nevermind album, back to front.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
How much of these bands have you learnt?

Yes it's a leap, but I'm trying to get a feel for where you're REALLY at. When you say you've "learnt Nirvana" do you mean you leant the first 10 seconds of one of their songs or did you actually learn the entire Nevermind album, back to front.

Random songs here and there really, couldn't say what off the top off my head but in all I probably know about 20-30
I think you could learn all of it if you really sat down and practice and not cut corners. It depends how long you practice and your skill level. It's not much of a leap from nirvana to jimi. I went fin playing nirvana tunes to playing iron maiden, Metallica and megadeth 6 years ago.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
It depends if you want to learn it note for note, exactly how Jimi played it. There's a million little notes hidden here and there, but if you want to just bust out a passable Foxy Lady I'm sure you could in a few minutes.

Try learning your favorites and you'll soon see which ones are easiest.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah, first start with just Purple Haze. If your goal is to learn the whole album, I think it's a bit too big goal. You won't be satisfied until you have learned the whole album. But if your goal is just to learn Purple Haze, you'll be satisfied when you have learned the song. Then start working on another song on the album.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Foxey Lady, Red House, Fire

That will keep you busy. I do not recommend tabs. Work it out by ear with a slow downer or youtube a tutorial. Those will help you pick up on Hendrixisms and you'll get some cool chordal work in your vocab.

Then try to learn the album.